Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cam chain spec (Read 159 times)
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Cam chain spec
11/08/11 at 11:41:34

Im at Work And i don't have my manual so I will go ahead and ask this here. Does anyone know the spec on the cam chain??? Size, pins?, links?? Etc...

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Cam chain spec
Reply #1 - 11/08/11 at 12:00:48

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/08/11 at 12:26:56

rusian downloads? you're kidding right?

Oldfeller2 wrote on 08/02/07 at 14:14:53:
Update:

Tsubaki got taken to task a bit -- they advertise bragging rights to a quarter inch pitch (6.35mm) silent chain on their home web page.  Tsubaki America finally admitted the quarter inch pitch chain is only manufactured under license for "certain Pacific Rim OEM suppliers" and cannot contractually be sold back to America at all.

Rest of the story comes from Morse.  I got back their report on the chain and gear that I got from Lancer.  It is a Morse Type 82 silent chain that was manufactured by their Japanese subsidiary (guess who) and it is their best and only quarter inch chain of the Type 82 (motorcycle style) silent chain family.  They do not offer their hard pin in that style -- the chain is too small.  They do not offer a HY-VO tension split pin design that small -- smallest HY-VO size is the 3/8" pitch size.  

There is no better Type 82 chain pins or styles available.  We got all that there is in a Type 82 chain.

Comments on the sample chain and sprocket is that it was NOT worn out -- it was approximately a bit past halfway to the engineering wear limit.   This lines up with the service wear limit in the Suzuki Shop manual.

===================================

HOWEVER,

There are automotive style silent chains in quarter inch pitch that will run on our gear forms.  The chains are made of links that are 1.25mm taller (same length -- but they swing a larger pin that sticks out a little longer on the side of things).

As such these chains would require changes to the left side straight chain guide to back the guide away from the chain 1mm and some changes to the top of the tension guide side at the top end edge to keep it from being abraded out of existence by the taller chain as it comes off the cam gear.  

I don't know what the longer protruding pin heads would hit or do to the engine as it ran its pathway.

Would this thicker chain last any longer?  Who knows?  
It was built for a dual overhead cam car engine and would require modifications to our engines to fit at all.

That's it, the last silent chain vendor has reported.  

Any opinions on the taller automotive chain and what it would hit if someone tried to install one in a Savage?

Oldfeller

'Seek and ye shall find'

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 11/08/11 at 13:12:36

verslagen1 wrote on 11/08/11 at 12:26:56:
rusian downloads? you're kidding right?

Those links are taken from the tech section here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1138554254

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/08/11 at 13:34:22

yeah I know, but they are us options.

I hope you got your virus scanner on.

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 11/09/11 at 06:55:56

verslagen1 wrote on 11/08/11 at 13:34:22:

2 virus scanners on, 2 firewalls on, 2 malware/adware scanners on, 2 pairs of gloves on, 2 pairs of socks on, 2 helmets on, 2 condoms on

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 11/09/11 at 08:24:29

Built2Last wrote on 11/09/11 at 06:55:56:
verslagen1 wrote on 11/08/11 at 13:34:22:

2 virus scanners on, 2 firewalls on, 2 malware/adware scanners on, 2 pairs of gloves on, 2 pairs of socks on, 2 helmets on, 2 condoms on

Flu shot?  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 11/09/11 at 08:52:49

Flu shots are worthless.. there's a bazillion different strains of "flu" you can get, that 1 shot only builds up anti-bodies for that 1 strain the "flu administration" predicts will be the most spread for the season... but then again, that's only what I've read.. I did take 2,000mgs of vitamin C though.. Cheesy

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 11/09/11 at 16:51:45

Jeez, you must pee orange juice! Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 11/09/11 at 17:29:41

arteacher wrote on 11/09/11 at 16:51:45:
Jeez, you must pee orange juice! Grin

I do, and I sell it for $1 a cup...

ok this is getting pretty weird....

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/09/11 at 17:43:35

Anyway, Oldfeller, I enjoyed your very informative investigation into the the Morse silent chain. Sadly it dashes any hopes of an easy solution to the stretching timing chain problem.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/09/11 at 22:45:06

I think theres a simple POTential solution. I think the teeth on the tensioner are spaced too closely, letting the thing click when the engine cools. Think about it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/10/11 at 18:28:15

justin-o-guy2 you make a good point.  I think these rachet style tensioners jack up the tension too much.  I like a manual tensioner with some springingness to absorb a little extra energy when a chain is loaded or unloaded quickly but I don't like the one way tension increase that is applied by the Savage chain tensioner.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:18:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam chain spec

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.