Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need advice on 1997 savage (Read 161 times)
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Need advice on 1997 savage
11/07/11 at 15:02:34

I bought a 1997 S40 in June. It has 6000 miles on it, is in excellent condition and I got a great deal ($500) buying it from a friend. I took the title to the DMV and they said the previous owner never titled the bike. Ok now I found out that the previous owner is a friend of my friend and it belonged to his dad. Unfortunately the dad passed away before he titled it but left it to his daughter in the will. The SC DMV is telling her that because I signed it that they cannot issue her a new title. So to make a long story short they offered to give me my money back. I know that they cut me a deal on the bike but while waiting on the title I bought a new jet kit, new battery and a new ignition switch/gas cap/helmet lock that were keyed alike. So I have an extra $200 in the bike. I was thinking about selling it as/is with an "iffy" title for someone who wants either to further pursue the title process or part it out. I don't have the time or the room to put is all on ebay one piece at a time. We even went as far as to look for another frame with a title and change everything over. I can not find a frame/title at local junkyards and ebay wants over $500 for a frame/title. Do I take off the stuff I bought and get my money back and put them on ebay or see if someone wants to buy it as/is? Its a great bike and I really don't understand the DMV's problem but considering the SCDMV I'm not surprised?  Angry Any thoughts??

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Need advice on 1997 savage
Reply #1 - 11/07/11 at 15:07:09

Ride it like you stole it?

IP Logged
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Reply #2 - 11/07/11 at 15:14:22

Oh yeah, I paid for the insurance for the year ($120) and had to pay the taxes on it BEFORE I could title it ($35). I guess I could call the ins company and cancel it and get some of the money back. Good luck getting the money back from the state !!!

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 11/07/11 at 15:38:44

Who signed the title to turn it over to you? Wouldn't that have to be the person named on the title? And since he died, the bike cannot be sold?? I find that hard to believe.

I would have the chick take a copy of his death certificate to the DMV, have her get a new title in her name, and then sell it to you straight up.

There's got to be a way around this. When people die, their vehicles don't just become unsellable salvage.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 11/07/11 at 16:09:11

How about if you sell it back to them, have them clear up the title/registration issue, then they sell it back to you?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Reply #5 - 11/07/11 at 17:21:02

She did take it to the DMV with a death certificate. DMV sees my name in the buyers spot instead of hers and asks " who is this" chick explains what happened. The owner before them lived in TN and no longer lives there. SC would have to have TN send a duplicate title. She says SCDMV said there's nothing more than can do.  At least this is the story Im getting. That's kind of why I told her I was thinking about parting it out and keeping the extra $$$.

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/07/11 at 17:28:19

Go with her, and her pop's death cert., to the DMV and tell them to straighten it the f*ck out...
It's got to be owned by somebody... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/07/11 at 23:32:15

Go ask Yonuh Adisi the guy's name who stole his truck and take him to the DMV with you. If he can steal someone elses vehicle and title it, he's the man for you.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/08/11 at 08:02:08

Have you looked into getting a Salvage Title for it? I know all of that stuff works differently from state to state, but it might be worth asking the question.
If the last known title is from Tennessee from several years ago, you could try going to the DMV with nothing in hand at all, just play dumb, and tell them you don't know the bike's history and want to try to apply for a salvage title. I doubt they will go out of state to research it; especially for a bike that old...
Worth a shot? Good luck with it!

If nothing else, you only paid $500 for a bike that should be worth twice that; you can always sell the parts that you bought, and sell the bike for what you paid to someone who does want to take the time to part it out. That still sucks to waste a perfectly good bike like that though...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/08/11 at 08:09:10

You've paid money and put money into the bike.
You should be able to put a mechanic's lean on the bike.
Include parts, labor, and storage.

Got a mechanic friend?
or a tow truck driver?
they can do it.

WWW   IP Logged
SURAZAL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ALBANY NY
Reply #10 - 11/08/11 at 10:05:16

in ny you for get about hte original title have the daughter go and get a replacement using her fathers death certificate for proof to get it reissued play real dumb use a different DMV office too ... or the clerk will remember you ... get the replace ment then have her go back and retitle it to her ... then she can sell it to you ... I wourk for the state all it takes is understanding the state has stupid simple rules and clerk can't change them only stupid administrators and they could care less ... sorry but that is how the system works ... don't ever lie on an official form just don't tell all the truth and it will work every time ... good luck ...

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/09/11 at 10:48:50

Surazal has a good plan and it would work in my state.  I went through something similar only worse, I didn't know the name of the last title holder and privacy laws prevented the BMV from telling me.

In my state a salvage title or build title requires a great deal of documentation I could not provide.  A replacement title was not possible becasue I didn't know the name of the person holding the title.  This was a small Honda that was used to ride around in a rural area by various owners and none had worried about a title or registration.

Eventually I learned that the Common Pleas Judge can issure a court order for a title.  His secretary told me to write up my explaination and put affidavit at the top and have it notarized.  I included my story and the VIN, model number, mileage etc.  I also attached the bill of sale.

A couple weeks later the secretary called me and at no cost I got a court order which I took to the title office and they quickly issued me a new title.  Easy.  Next time that judge is up for re-election I'll be sure to vote for him.  The secretary told me they issue quite a few titles for older vehicles usually because they come from an estate and the title can't be located or they come from a state that does not require a title.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
snowdevil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenville SC
Reply #12 - 11/09/11 at 13:41:55

I have place the bike for sale in the Marketplace section. Thanks, Brian

Ex-Tomcat Tweek
  IP Logged
Pages: 1