Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
hot start/decompression lever (Read 347 times)
beacon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

hot start/decompression lever
11/07/11 at 14:50:45

I'm trying to get rid of the decompression solenoid, relay, and extra wires and came up with the idea of using the "hot start" lever that sits atop the clutch lever on most dirt bikes. Pull in the lever with your left index finger and a cable attached to the decompression lever does the job. Once started you let go of the hot start lever and get on your way.
Has anyone tried this? If so what lever/perch did you use?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: hot start/decompression lever
Reply #1 - 11/07/11 at 21:33:21

The decomp is only engaged for a few parts of a second. Just long enough to let the starter get the thing thru compression IF it happens to shut down on compression. The decomp always kicks in, but just a short while,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/09/11 at 06:54:28

I was looking at those on Ebay the other day: thinking the very same thing. You could get a used lever for $20-$25. I imagine it would work as long as you activated it the same way that the Ryca guys are doing with their manually operated foot pedal, and to my eye it seems a little less awkward. Somewhere in the Ryca stuff they explain how to use it; just do the same thing with the lever instead of your foot and it should work.

Then you just have to figure out how to get one mounted onto the bars (all the ones I saw were for 7/8" bars, but you could probably work around that; drill out the bracket or something like that?)

I haven't tried it, or even decided if I am going to or not yet, but if you do, please post it up. I'd love to see it. That's about the only thing about the Ryca bikes that I personally don't like, so having another alternative would be great.

Cheers!

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #3 - 11/09/11 at 12:40:11

I've got a Ryca. Just put 3000 miles on it since June 16. I did not like the decompression linkage set-up provided with the kit. Its appearance was strange, but more importantly it was easy to bend the rod linkage by using too much force.

I switched over to a hand operated lever. I used a part of the Ryca supplied linkage and added a piece of rubber tubing and a washer to make it easier to find and grasp the lever. You may find a picture of it in my collection of Ryca/Savage photos here https://picasaweb.google.com/gmbhsg/SuzukiSavagePublic?authkey=Gv1sRgCIWagYOk...  - second row, third photo.

What was smart about the Ryca set-up was that it used your left-foot for activating the decompressor. That allowed your left hand to pull in the clutch and your right hand to hit the starter switch. When I changed to a hand-operated decompressor lever I had to bypass the clutch pull-in switch -- I dont' have three hands. So I must be careful to ensure the bike is in neutral before hitting the starter switch.

My start-up drill is:
  • Turn on fuel petcock (i have a manual Raptor petcock)
  • Set choke
  • Turn on ignition and get green neutral ight
  • Push down on decompressor lever with the left hand
  • Pull on brake lever with right hand
    while hitting starter switch with my right hand
    and simultaneously releasing decompressor lever with the left hand
  • Fires up!

I got rid of some weight and cleaned up the appearance.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 11/09/11 at 13:37:17

The trick is to find a hot start lever for 1" bars. Or do some machining.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/11/11 at 06:19:16

Yes, most are made for 7/8" bars. But that's no problem as I have a machine shop that will take a 1" solid bar and turn it down to 7/8 where the clutch perch sits and bore out the ends to take a cap and bar-end mirror--all for a reasonable price. The real problem with the hot start system is that the clutch levers are usually too short and don't match our stock levers. So I'm looking around for ones that work.
Another option is to take a bar-mounted choke lever as seen on old Brit bikes. Have to look into this one a bit more though.

teabowl13 wrote on 11/09/11 at 06:54:28:
I was looking at those on Ebay the other day: thinking the very same thing. You could get a used lever for $20-$25. I imagine it would work as long as you activated it the same way that the Ryca guys are doing with their manually operated foot pedal, and to my eye it seems a little less awkward. Somewhere in the Ryca stuff they explain how to use it; just do the same thing with the lever instead of your foot and it should work.

Then you just have to figure out how to get one mounted onto the bars (all the ones I saw were for 7/8" bars, but you could probably work around that; drill out the bracket or something like that?)

I haven't tried it, or even decided if I am going to or not yet, but if you do, please post it up. I'd love to see it. That's about the only thing about the Ryca bikes that I personally don't like, so having another alternative would be great.

Cheers!

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 11/11/11 at 08:22:22

A little poking around turned up this -- a small decompression lever integrated into the clutch lever.

It's 7/8", but I think there's enough wall thickness on the Ryca bars to turn down a 7/8" groove (which might need to be reinforced with a piece of tubing inside). But then you're left figuring out the specs for the cable.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 11/11/11 at 08:24:26

Why not put the lever on our perch?

WWW   IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #8 - 11/11/11 at 08:48:59

Keep this in mind: Whether hand or foot or solenoid operated, the decompression lever must be released within a fraction of a second of hitting the starter or the engine will stall.

« Last Edit: 11/17/11 at 15:37:51 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 11/11/11 at 09:17:07

For most people, a finger can react faster and with more control than a foot.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/11/11 at 09:42:32

MotoBuddha wrote on 11/11/11 at 09:17:07:
For most people, a finger can react faster and with more control than a foot.

That's because we're so used to accidentally touching hot things... Huh...

These things might be adaptable, too...
They do come in 1"...
Choke lever

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 11/11/11 at 10:16:26

Whatever the hand/finger controlled solution, I like to be able to work it easily while holding in the clutch lever.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 11/11/11 at 10:41:58

My bar-end mirrors, leave me with the mirror mounts open,... I wonder if I could rig a thumb lever there?...
Which would be better right hand or left?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/11/11 at 10:50:08

Complicated to do as you not only need a lever and pivot, you also need a solid guide to accept the cable sleeve.  

verslagen1 wrote on 11/11/11 at 08:24:26:
Why not put the lever on our perch?

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/11/11 at 10:53:52

Good idea! Should be on the left side. Not sure how you'd actually do the mounting of one of those round Brit choke levers that are meant to clamp onto the bar.  

t
Serowbot wrote on 11/11/11 at 10:41:58:
My bar-end mirrors, leave me with the mirror mounts open,... I wonder if I could rig a thumb lever there?...
Which would be better right hand or left?...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:18:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hot start/decompression lever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.