Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
hot start/decompression lever (Read 347 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: hot start/decompression lever
Reply #15 - 11/11/11 at 10:55:44

HEY MAN,
I like the 1" choke lever you posted up there; it would certainly be easy to mount and wouldn't look out of place or awkward on your bars.
I only wonder this: those de-comp levers are set up like a clutch or brake line: the automatically release as soon as you let off pressure. The choke lever is NOT; when you pull it open, it holds its place. You'd have to manually push it closed at that split second unless you can adjust the tension on it so that it's super loose and pulls itself closed?
Definitely worth looking into.

I wouldn't want to take any meat out of my handlebars at all without reinforcing them from the inside. NOT a place I'd want to have a weak spot. Even if you are working with a perch made for 7/8" bars, I think it would be easier and safer to take the meat out of the perch clamp, or modify it somehow, after all it isn't something that requires a lot of strength. Your bars are....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 11/11/11 at 11:01:46

Wheels are turning....   Hmmm?...

A simple, classic, bicycle shift lever, mounted to the left side mirror mount...  Thumb activated...  
Can't be right side,... 'cause you need the thumb for the starter button
...(just thought of that)... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #17 - 11/11/11 at 11:45:35

teabowl13 wrote on 11/11/11 at 10:55:44:
HEY MAN,
I like the 1" choke lever you posted up there; it would certainly be easy to mount and wouldn't look out of place or awkward on your bars.
I only wonder this: those de-comp levers are set up like a clutch or brake line: the automatically release as soon as you let off pressure. The choke lever is NOT; when you pull it open, it holds its place. You'd have to manually push it closed at that split second unless you can adjust the tension on it so that it's super loose and pulls itself closed?
Definitely worth looking into.

The type of choke lever serowbot showed can be loosened. In fact, if there's any friction material inside, it can probably be removed.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #18 - 11/11/11 at 11:56:49

Serowbot wrote on 11/11/11 at 10:41:58:
My bar-end mirrors, leave me with the mirror mounts open,... I wonder if I could rig a thumb lever there?...
Which would be better right hand or left?...

On the right you'd be trying to work the lever while also pushing the start button. THAT takes some exceptional hands and coordination.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 11/11/11 at 12:13:08

MotoBuddha wrote on 11/11/11 at 11:56:49:
Serowbot wrote on 11/11/11 at 10:41:58:
My bar-end mirrors, leave me with the mirror mounts open,... I wonder if I could rig a thumb lever there?...
Which would be better right hand or left?...

On the right you'd be trying to work the lever while also pushing the start button. THAT takes some exceptional hands and coordination.

A man would have to be all thumbs...  
Wait a minute,... I am all thumbs!....
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #20 - 11/11/11 at 12:25:25

Then there's this type of setup.

I doubt the stock Savage switch pod has enough material or internal clearance to tap holes and bolt on an old school choke lever, but I offer this up in case it sparks any other ideas.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #21 - 11/13/11 at 10:53:39

I just ordered on of these.  Only $19.95.

It's for a 7/8" bar, of course, but removing the nylon sleeve will get me closer to 1". I could get the rest machined out. It looks like there would be more material left than others I've seen.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 11/13/11 at 16:56:30

I too ordered a clutch lever/perch with "hot start" lever. Problem turned out to be that the shorter-style clutch lever used on dirt bikes didn't clear the switch pod and even if it did it was too short to grab with all fingers as on most street bikes. Let me know how yours works out.  

MotoBuddha wrote on 11/13/11 at 10:53:39:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/9de3ff9e.jpg

It's for a 7/8" bar, of course, but removing the nylon sleeve will get me closer to 1". I could get the rest machined out. It looks like there would be more material left than others I've seen.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #23 - 11/13/11 at 18:04:33

Yeah, there will probably be problems wit the clutch lever, but I figure it's worth twenty bucks to see if there's anything I can do with it.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #24 - 11/14/11 at 08:21:07

Can you post up the link to this?

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #25 - 11/14/11 at 09:13:17

kevinphan wrote on 11/14/11 at 08:21:07:

Can you post up the link to this?

http://www.mxsouth.com/moose/moose-racing-levers-lever-sets-ultimatefly-clutc...

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #26 - 11/19/11 at 11:07:16

The hot start lever thing arrived.

With the help of a skilled aluminum welder, I think it can be made to work. The inside arc of the lever is already 1 inch, so there's a problem I won't need to deal with. It looks like I could cut off the bottom part of an extra clutch perch I have, trim a bit from the hot start lever, then weld the two pieces together.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #27 - 11/19/11 at 15:02:23

Bear in mind that you are going to have to apply enough force to open 2 exhaust valves. Is your left index finger strong enough to do that?
My old Enfield had a decomp release in the form of a smaller lever right under the clutch lever, but you could get three fingers on it. It was a kind of safety feature because you couldn't pull it in without pulling in the clutch lever as there wasn't enough room to get your fingers on the decomp lever alone, so you had to pull in the clutch to start it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #28 - 11/19/11 at 16:15:19

Actually, it would be the left thumb with this setup. Besides, I can already turn the short lever down on the engine by hand. No problem.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 11/19/11 at 17:15:51

MotoBuddha wrote on 11/19/11 at 16:15:19:
Actually, it would be the left thumb with this setup. Besides, I can already turn the short lever down on the engine by hand. No problem.

that lever should be going up.
you got your spring on backwards.

if you turn it up easy, then it's on the exhaust stroke and you'll won't need to operate your lever.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:22:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hot start/decompression lever

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.