Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Right side engine cover removal (Read 164 times)
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Right side engine cover removal
11/03/11 at 16:50:54

Does anyone knows how to remove the right side (oil filter side) engine cover?  I want to remove it since it is heavily pitted and want to  polished.  I know i need to remove the filter, exhaust heat shield, and all the bolts. What about the clutch lever?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Right side engine cover removal
Reply #1 - 11/03/11 at 16:57:55

Just drain the oil and unbolt. You'll probably need a new gasket since it will probably tear, with bits left on both the cover and crankcase. Watch to make sure the small rod in the middle of the clutch assembly doesn't fall out and get lost.  There are slots in the crankcase, under the clutch, that you'll want to block off while the cover is off so things don't fall in.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/03/11 at 17:26:13

Pay attention to where each bolt comes from. I used cardboard with X slots to keep each bolt located on a diagram of the side cover.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #3 - 11/03/11 at 17:38:34

If I'm not mistaken. There is one long one and 3 with whashers. They need to go to the same place you got them out.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/03/11 at 19:01:42

while you're in there check the cam chain...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

WWW   IP Logged
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Reply #5 - 11/03/11 at 19:23:50

I already have a new gasket, so I will use the new gasket and put the bolts were they go.  

My question is the clutch lever that is at the rear of the cover. Does it have to come out before removing the cover? Or comes out with the cover?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 11/03/11 at 19:27:48

No. In fact, you can't remove that lever without taking the cover off. There's a cotter pin holding it.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 11/03/11 at 19:47:52

If you dont hold the loop up the cable goes in while you bolt it back on, youre gonna be whining.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 11/03/11 at 21:10:32

VOLKY wrote on 11/03/11 at 19:23:50:
I already have a new gasket, so I will use the new gasket and put the bolts were they go.  

My question is the clutch lever that is at the rear of the cover. Does it have to come out before removing the cover? Or comes out with the cover?

I took a sharpie and traced the gasket complete with bolt holes onto the cardboard the gasket came with. I just did the head cap and timing chain adjuster. I put a dab of rtv sealer under the head of all my bolts, even the ones with out washers. Suzuki mechanics recommend no gasket sealer, but I did use a few dabs to hold it in place where it kept falling off. Take a crescent wrench and put it at the pivot point on the clutch lever pushing down to relieve the pressure on the clutch cable. Bend the little tab back first, but don't worry if it breaks. A cotter pin can be used to replace it. Don't let the pin fall out of the center of the clutch.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 11/03/11 at 21:56:57

There ain't much of a trick to it.
only 2 bolts are long, fore and aft.
all the others are the same size.
as for the 3 washers, the aft one goes above the long one in back
the front pair go in front of the lower oil port, one above the other.

WWW   IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #10 - 11/04/11 at 00:00:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/03/11 at 19:47:52:
If you dont hold the loop up the cable goes in while you bolt it back on, youre gonna be whining.

I think I just experienced that when I did the Verslavy.  The lever was below horizontal so that after I bolted on the cover there wasn't enough room to raise the lever to put the clutch cable back in because it was hitting the case.  That what you meant?  Of course I thought I had to take the whole cover off but by backing the bolts out a little I managed to do it without removing the cover again.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/04/11 at 04:57:47

Yea,, thats the Bear TRap,, It doesnt rip a foot off, but I dont like creating a hassle, so I thot Id warn the guy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 11/04/11 at 08:16:30

Not really an issue, while you are operating that lever to attach the cable, just use the other hand to swing the U shaped clip around to the correct orientation.  You don't have to remove nothing.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:21:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Right side engine cover removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.