Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Head Gasket Thickness (Read 186 times)
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Re: Head Gasket Thickness
Reply #15 - 11/03/11 at 12:53:39

Ok. I will relay this message to the mechanic. He's a pretty good mechanic, e used to work for Ducati in Atlanta (closed because of the bad economy) now he works in another place and he has build A LOT of race bikes. Once I know the clearance I will post it here and with his knowledge and the one from people here I'm sure this problem will be solved.

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #16 - 11/03/11 at 13:15:11

jandaso wrote on 11/03/11 at 12:16:55:
I'm going thru the safe side. I have a mechanic who did my Yamaha R1 motor a couple of years ago. He just charging like 30 bucks to take the engine to his shop and get the clearance. Maybe with that I can get a higher compression getting the piston as close as it goes (hopefully it wont heat up).

He also talked about a getting the piston to head clearance using the soft solder wire method. He explained a bit
On the phone but truly is something that I need to see been done to feel comfortable doing it.  

I will be documenting his procedure and will post details with pictures.

The same basic procedure using solder instead of clay. I like clay because it gives you a bigger picture of what's going on. Sounds like you found a good mechanic if he's checking this. Cool

Next, figure out a way to make the cam gear adjustable so the cam timing can be reset to compensate for the timing chain stretch.
Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #17 - 11/03/11 at 13:15:57

What about better springs??? That seems to help the valve float on high rpm engines. Has anybody done a mod like that?

2006 S40 - Mikuni VM38 (UFO and Dial-a-Jet), K&N filter, Barnett Clutch, Dyna Muffler, and Verslavy.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #18 - 11/03/11 at 13:20:21

It will extend the rpm range at the expense of your rocker arms cam followers, already an issue on these engines, partly due to low oil presssure. Angry

Now if it had roller rockers like my V-Star 950, it would be much more practical. Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 11/03/11 at 13:35:29

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 11/03/11 at 13:15:11:
Next, figure out a way to make the cam gear adjustable so the cam timing can be reset to compensate for the timing chain stretch.
Grin

.010" change stretch is approx. 1° of cam retard.

oval out the cam gear mounting holes
flip the gear 180° and drill a new alignment hole
I'd go with half the allowed chain stretch.

If you would rather have finer adjustment. you could rotate the gear several times and redrill the 3 holes.  Just mark the alignment hole with the advancement angle.

While you're thinking about this, you can reduce the amount of chain stretch by inventing a manual chain tensioner.

WWW   IP Logged
jandaso

Do you want fries
with that?

Reply #20 - 11/03/11 at 14:30:08

Too many problems and things to figure out. I'm not the person who should be trying to figure out this problem. The people at webcam were so helpful and their just going to cut the cam again for the specs of the stage 1.

That just took a lot of stress out of me. I'm still getting a nice measurement on that clearance to get a nice compression. I will post the results.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 11/04/11 at 06:28:09

Add ZDDP to the oil, it help protect parts that rub like our rocker/cam area.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:18:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head Gasket Thickness

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.