Raptor question... (Read 300 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Raptor question...
11/02/11 at 16:51:27

I ran out of gas on the way home from school today, for the first time after installing the raptor, so I switched it to reserve, started it back up and it ran like sh1t and stalled out twice. Only after letting it sit for a few minutes did it run OK. Does it take that long to fill up the float bowl?
The stock petcock would allow you to switch on the fly, provided you had enough strength in your fingers to turn it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Re: Raptor question...
Reply #1 - 11/02/11 at 17:35:49

My bike quits almost immediately when it hits empty, and usually I can't get it switched to reserve in time to prevent having to pull over, or at least coast and restart, but the bike usually starts immediately after I switch to reserve, too. The stock petcock, and those on every other bike I've owned, with or without vacuum, would sputter a couple of times but allow me to switch to reserve and keep the bike running.  Not the Raptor.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #2 - 11/02/11 at 18:21:05

Ditto that.  Happened to me yesterday.  Thought there was an electrical problem it quit so fast.  Coasted to the side and went to reserve and started right up.  Fastest run-dry petcock out there!!

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/02/11 at 18:52:41

Nothing inherent about a Raptor, or any petcock that will make too much difference...
... after all it's only a tube in a tank...
It can make more difference if you're going uphill or downhill, or turning right or left....
As far as flow goes... it's got to be faster than a vacuum petcock if anything... no vacuum mechanism to obstruct... it's a straight shot....

I think circumstance will make more difference than type of petcock...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 11/02/11 at 19:05:15

Did you try popping your gas cap seal? Maybe there was a bit of a suction in the gas tank not allowing it flow through the reserve tube or whatever... I'm just taking a wild shot in the dark, since I've had problems with my gas cap seal and petcock...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 11/02/11 at 19:14:03

I've caught it on the sputters most times it is signalling "reserve" when I was rolling at some goodly speed and had a few seconds of momentum to utilize.   Still, it comes back FAST in 2-3 seconds once you flip it to prime and you can keep on going.

If you are in stop and go traffic and have no momentum going, I can see it stopping you since you don't have the 2-3 seconds before stopping anyway.

Down is normal, aimed horizontal to the front is off, up is reserve.

Memory jogger -- when you need reserve, point the lever up at the tank ....

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #6 - 11/02/11 at 20:57:41

The stock petcock would give me notice (some stumbling) and give me time to switch to reserve and continue about my way.

The raptor gives me far less notice (very little stumbling before cutting out) and has died on me 2 out of 3 times I've hit the reserve point. Only once was I able to make the switch and keep it running.

Unlike your situation, my bike ran just like normal while on reserve with my Raptor. Didn't run like crap, didn't stall out. It should run just fine in reserve.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 11/03/11 at 02:59:52

I have only run ot a cople of times with my raptor.  Once, I did not need to switch to reserve, I was pulling into the gas station and just coasted to the pumps.  

I also have a big plastic fuel filter in line, something for a car that came from Wal-Mart for a couple of dollars.  It stands to reason that would take some time to fill, but not long.  I don't recall any delay in being able to get going again.  Somewhere there was a discussion about the filter not having to be full or not looking full or something and that is what I found.  If that was a hijack, sorry about it.

I don't remember any delay or difference in that time and the few other times I had to go to reserve with the stock petcock.  But I try to get gas every 100 miles and really don't use reserve much.  (Yes, sometimes I switch, just to keep the thing broke loose, but notice no difference in the way the bike runs.)

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/03/11 at 05:34:59

I don't know why there would be any difference, but this if the first bike I've had (vac op) that gives plenty of warning that res is needed.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #9 - 11/03/11 at 06:36:34

here is my exp for what it is worth - had to hit reserve on the stock PC once learned my lesson shut off right at 2 gal used had roughly .2 gal  left in the tank........this week i knew i was going to get close to my 100 mile fill point while out on a ride so i put the raptor on reserve before i left the house so I would not have to flip the switch in mid-ride-mode......well i made it to the 101st mile without a hiccup pulled in and filled the tank...it held 2.238 gal......not sure how that was possible without it having a hiccup or flat out cutting off......

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 11/03/11 at 08:19:04

Hum, I can always tell when I have to switch my raptor to reserve. The bike starts to stumble, I reach down and flip to RES and keep going...no hesitation or very little anyway.
When I fixed up the savage I sold to my buddy (stock petcock) I was up on the highway just cruising along and it just shut right off...no warning at all. I thought something electrical blew as I coasted to the side of the freeway. Turns out it just needed to go to reserve but boy was I worried for a couple minutes. Embarrassed

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #11 - 11/03/11 at 08:56:17

Likewise, my bike will stumble once or twice, I reach down turn the raptor petcock to RES and keep on going, I too have a fuel filter but don't know if that has anything to do with the float bowl level.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 11/03/11 at 13:40:53

I think speed, or maybe more specifically, how much throttle, is a factor.  Only happened to me a handful of times, but the one time I was going faster, applying more throttle, it cut out quicker.  Going slower and feeding less gas, I had a little bit of notice.  Makes sense to me...  (I'm still a stock petcock gal)   

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #13 - 11/03/11 at 19:25:10

Everyone should turn their petcock to reserve once in a while, to keep things limbered up.

But don't forget to turn it back to on.  

Don't ask. Sad

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #14 - 11/03/11 at 20:20:11

Yep, run on reserve regularly, tank full with Seafoam. 15-20 miles at highway speeds. Don't let the crap collect in the bottom of the tank.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.