Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Follow Up From a Rookie (Read 103 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Follow Up From a Rookie
10/30/11 at 04:04:07

Well I'm the guy in college with a Savage with no place or time to fix the oil leak or adjust the valves. With an EXCEPTIONAL amount of encouragement and guidance from the members here, I did it, and I have the last laugh over the engineers in this school.  Huh

It took the latter half of a Saturday and Sunday, a Clymers manual, and a portion of a Thursday afternoon to complete it. Only two tools were thrown across my friend's garage and skipped into the wall in the process. Unfortunately 0 six packs were drank in the process, I had a hard enough time finding a set of feeler gauges more or less using them in the process.

But let me tell you, the intimate connection with my bike was all the worth it. I wanted to do the project form the start, but didn't have the resources. (garage, specialty tools, broke college student eating ramen noodles) I had the luck of generous friends with resources and the misfortune of an as sumptuous motorcycle mechanic that swore the engine needed to come out of the frame.

Well I accomplished the job, and now my valves operate at a smoother sound than ever, and besides residue that has vibrated out of crevices, I'm pretty SURE I've halted the oil leak. (it comes out the rear of the engine next to the carb throat, and has since seemed to stop after a hard weekend ride, I'm assuming this means its received if anyone has any insight)

I just wanted to give an update in appreciation to all those that have helped here. It's been multiple times that I've pulled up to a fellow savage driven by a 'guy' on campus covered in oil with stock exhaust and he asks, "what year?"
"2001"
"REALLY!?!?! SOUNDS loud and incredible!"
"Yeah I take care of it, and did a lot of suggested maintenance and upgrades from an online community (insert URL here)."
"Sweet I'll check it out."

-6 months late I see the same bike on campus in ever more disrepair outside the engineering building with his hot girlfriend getting on it and myself still single. Go figure, they still make 6 packs, so I'm still in tip top mental condition.

Just wanted to give a shout out and thanks to all you "how to" junkie experts out there and a follow up for those that tried to help me along the way!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Follow Up From a Rookie
Reply #1 - 10/30/11 at 06:47:08

Put your hommage to the crew out where they can see it  (we never look in the tech section very much)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/30/11 at 07:20:08

I remove the feeler gauges from the holder. Its about impossible otherwise. I also bend them into a Z shape & curl the front edge a bit.
CVongrats on the job.
Now, find that other bike & get paid to straighten it out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 10/30/11 at 18:21:07

Wake, with shop rates around here running $70 you saved some money plus got personal satisfaction for taking responsibility for the job, knowing it could come out bad. Good for you, man.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:22:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Follow Up From a Rookie

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.