Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cafe Racer vs Crotch Rocket (Read 206 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Cafe Racer vs Crotch Rocket
10/29/11 at 18:46:01

Just wondering what the comparison on these 2 are race wise, same engine class... Rockers vs. Hooligans Cheesy

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Cafe Racer vs Crotch Rocket
Reply #1 - 10/29/11 at 19:01:03

it's the difference between a cappuccino and a Red Bull...

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 10/29/11 at 19:34:12

Cafe racers originated in the 50s and 60s in the UK.  They were the tuner-bike crotch rockets of their day.  The term "cafe racer" is sort of a nostalgic thing, applied to a bike that might have been built last week, and might a pretty decent hot rod, but is configured more like the skinny lightweight bikes of 50 years ago cut down to race from one cafe to another.

Most Japanese middleweight crotch rockets will STOMP on most cafe racers because the Japs build them as darn-near state-of-the-art racebikes that are legal to ride on the street.

That don't matter none to a cafe racer dude, because he built something simple, lightweight, and hot rodded in one form or another.  Hopefully it handles real well, has a quirky personality, and uses its 40 to 60 hp pretty well.

One thing cool about cafe racers is that you can do that transformation on just about anything.  I've seen cafe racers that were originally Honda CB125s.  I've also seen them with big Harley engines.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 10/29/11 at 19:43:01

Gyrobob, read about the origins of Cafe Racers.. put a record on and be back before its stopped playing..  built for speed and handling in corners, a person on a crotch rocket would die on cafe racer turf, and vice versa Cheesy

But I may be wrong about the handling of crotch rockets.. so don't hold me to it..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/30/11 at 06:40:47

Let's be honest, one of today's 600cc full bore KawaondaSaki repli-racer (you can name your favorite brand) with a 20 year old kid on it that can actually ride the durn thing to capacity around turns will kick the butt of anything you can build from older stock parts.

It ain't the bikes any more, nobody can ride them to their full capacity any more without killing themselves.

Much less us .... we ride our Grandma sickles up to capacity and can still skunk many better bikes up in them there twisty mountains.   One dude on a Ducati needs to slink on home in Fontana road shame and not hang around the Dragon cafe in his colorful leathers talking about his Italian hot rod -- he was skunked on the way up the mountain by Grandpa on an old silver Grandmaw sickle and he knows it ...  forever !!

« Last Edit: 10/30/11 at 12:17:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 11/01/11 at 02:43:36

I would have loved to see the video... Savage ravages Duke !

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/02/11 at 08:05:05

I rode this truxton once... 900cc cafe, race replica. Very smooth pull, fast and fun to ride, seat comfort aside, that sucked  Roll Eyes Anyhow, few months later I sat on a 900 Fireblade, same road, same attitude... And once it went past 5000rpm (easy) - I felt like in StarTracks when they "engage warp five". Bike felt soo light and easy to handle... Really, two different worlds. The blade was much faster, if you're nuts enough to open it up, as oldfeller said.

IP Logged
Daeldren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SC
Reply #7 - 11/05/11 at 06:30:54

Though it would be cool to see a ryca build with a vintage race fairing mocked up sort of like theses

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/cr4501967teamhansen.htm

IP Logged
Daeldren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SC
Reply #8 - 11/05/11 at 06:31:39

Though it would be cool to see a ryca build with a vintage race fairing mocked up sort of like theses

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/cr4501967teamhansen.htm

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 09:35:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Racer vs Crotch Rocket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.