Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil Change question (Read 381 times)
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Oil Change question
10/29/11 at 12:41:07

So I have read through a plethera of posts about oil types and think I want to go with Shell Rotella 10W-40.  I know I can get this oil at walmart or an auto parts store.  Should this oil be ok for the "winter" in North Texas? Upper 30's - 40's F.

The question I have is should I be able to get an oil filter at a place like Autozone/O'Rielys?  I HATE the local motorcycle dealer and would like to avoid going there.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil Change question
Reply #1 - 10/29/11 at 13:04:02

Rotella is available in a dino oil (which is suitable for Texas year round).
It is found at Walmart in the auto section where they keep diesel oils (not car oils).  The gallon jug is white plastic and the name is Rotella T (triple protection).  The weight is 15w40.

Rotella is available in a synthetic oil (which is suitable anywhere in the lower 48 year round).  Walmart has it sporatically in a gallon blue jug and the name is Rotella Synthetic.  The weight is 5w40.

Order your oil filters on line from any large bike parts place that sells EMCO brand oil filters.    These are inexpensive good oil filters.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #2 - 10/29/11 at 14:37:34

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/29/11 at 13:04:02:
Rotella is available in a dino oil (which is suitable for Texas year round).
It is found at Walmart in the auto section where they keep diesel oils (not car oils).  The gallon jug is white plastic and the name is Rotella T (triple protection).  The weight is 15w40.

Ok, Thanks.  That's what I'll get.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/29/11 at 15:52:37

Wife went to get me some Mobil 1, 5/30. Stopped at a parts store,, $40.00!! Went to W-Mart,,$25.00. Pays to look around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 10/29/11 at 20:03:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/29/11 at 15:52:37:
Wife went to get me some Mobil 1, 5/30. Stopped at a parts store,, $40.00!! Went to W-Mart,,$25.00. Pays to look around.

You send your wife out to get your bike oil?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/29/11 at 21:14:22

She was already out, in town with our daughter, & I was changing oil in my wifes car, when I realiozed I didnt have enough to fill it back up, only had 2 quarts.. Not drivin into town w/ 2 quarts in it.. & I sure wuldnt run Mobil 1 in the bike, Rotella T, 15/40 for me,,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #6 - 10/29/11 at 22:48:07

OF, thanks to your rec. I'm trying to find EMCO oil filters. Not much luck, but I am finding EMGO (with a "G") oil filters. Typo, or am I looking in all the wrong places?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 10/29/11 at 23:38:17

Hi Flo is another off brand... cheap, and identical to stock...
I get them for $3 each at my local bike shop...
Suzuki don't make oil filters,... they contract them out...
Probably all the same...

Some people buy dealer everything.... at triple the price...
... but really,... Showi shocks,.. Mikuni carb,... IRC tires,... is it Beldin brakes?...  you really think they make oil filters?...
Get real... Grin...

Just like in Yankiedoodleland,... they assemble parts... they don't make them...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 10/30/11 at 03:44:39

I know our bikes turn high RPM.s being a single, but isn't a lot being made over nothing when it comes to the oil. I have used only 10-40 or 20-50 weight oil in the summer. I prefer using Castrol but many times I buy the $2 a qt stuff from Wal-Mart. Always auto oil.  Most of my riding is at freeway speeds and at 48,000 miles I have had no engine or clutch  problems or leaks and after a long ride the auto oil seems to hold up just fine. Some in here pay more for one qt of oil than I do in 3 oil changes.  Clue me in please in why auto oil is not recommended.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 10/30/11 at 05:50:26

I use rOTELLA t in the bike, cuz I keep gallons & gallons of it around. The backhoe runs it, the pickup, lawnmower, & 4 wheeler all use that. The Matrix & Vibe require 5-30, so,since they get lotsa miles on them, they get the MObil 1. Im not gonna keep another load of oil around, even if I coul;d save a whole dollar a gallon.,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/30/11 at 06:27:55

Stinger, auto oil is fine if it contains no friction modifiers that will kill the Savage clutch.   And if it does have the large levels of ZDDP our old style tappet valve system needs (which none of them car oils do any more).

Too many newbies who try to use car oils get some "energy star" enhancer compounds in their clutch plates and get slippage problems accordingly.

Trying to get newbies to read their car oil cans in detail looking for starburst symbols and additive names and stuff like that got too complicated, so folks found that the diesel oils as a group were 1) cheap and 2) did have the large amounts of stuff we needed as far as ZDDP and detergents and surfactants went and 3) did not have any of the bad friction modifier stuff that would kill our clutches.

Rotella then went the extra mile and got their oils JASO motorcycle tested and approved (sez so right on the label, JASO MA) and Walmart carries it and if the newbies use that they dodge all the bullets that we know about and they get all the goodies to make their engines last a long time.

White jug Rotella costs around $3 a quart when you punch it in your calculator.

Grin

Why in the world are you still opening all them little bitty quart bottles again?   Buy the good stuff cheap in the big white jug and jest smile, you know you got some for next time you need it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 10/30/11 at 18:12:56

Serowbot wrote on 10/29/11 at 23:38:17:
Hi Flo is another off brand... cheap, and identical to stock...
I get them for $3 each at my local bike shop...
Suzuki don't make oil filters,... they contract them out...
Probably all the same...

Some people buy dealer everything.... at triple the price...
... but really,... Showi shocks,.. Mikuni carb,... IRC tires,... is it Beldin brakes?...  you really think they make oil filters?...
Get real... Grin...

Just like in Yankiedoodleland,... they assemble parts... they don't make them...

Hi Flo makes a good air filter, too. Less than half price at $15 and bolts right up.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/30/11 at 18:38:25

In the Suzuki manual it doesn't say anything about zzdp but it does say use motorcycle oil,Klotz went the extra mile 50 years ago.Really it started on that extra mile.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/30/11 at 18:51:05

The book may say nothing about ZDDP, but the engine likes it. Used to be common in oils, but cataclysmic perverters cant stand it, so, its only in diesel oil now.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 10/31/11 at 14:21:57

JOG tell me one thing how do you know the engine likes it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:23:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Change question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.