something that klotz doesn't have.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oil Change question
Reply #16 - 10/31/11 at 14:29:28

Because ZDDP was used in oil prior to cats being used on cars. Lubrication engineers put it in there to keep metal parts that rub under hard loads from galling on each other. Its added to the drive hub oil on Guzzis & is called for by the book in many of them. Diesels use it, because it is a good thing to have,, you keep your knots & spend you $$$ as you please. Ill use Rotella..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 10/31/11 at 15:31:31

Its real surprising that all the motorcycle companies don't know about the    zzz  or is it 999

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 11/01/11 at 05:05:18

bill67 wrote on 10/30/11 at 18:38:25:
In the Suzuki manual it doesn't say anything about zzdp but it does say use motorcycle oil,Klotz went the extra mile 50 years ago.Really it started on that extra mile.

If Sususki has scared you into using Motorcycle oil, which MC oil do you suppose most people would buy. Right on,   Suzuski oil !
And suzuski doesn't make oil, but they make a ton of money off the suzuski oil that is nothing more than glorified car/diesel oil.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 11/01/11 at 07:44:21

Routy wrote on 11/01/11 at 05:05:18:
bill67 wrote on 10/30/11 at 18:38:25:
In the Suzuki manual it doesn't say anything about zzdp but it does say use motorcycle oil,Klotz went the extra mile 50 years ago.Really it started on that extra mile.

If Sususki has scared you into using Motorcycle oil, which MC oil do you suppose most people would buy. Right on,   Suzuski oil !
And suzuski doesn't make oil, but they make a ton of money off the suzuski oil that is nothing more than glorified car/diesel oil.

& the trumpets blare

Dunt Dunt Duh Duh Duuuuuhhhh...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 11/01/11 at 10:33:28

Bill, just so you will know (once again, no less) ZDDP is the extreme pressure additive that the Society for Automotive Engineers still rates as the very best most effective additive to keep metal to metal galling away in extreme conditions when engine oil films start to fail.

Like on our flat rocker tappet followers ....

The fact it kills car catalytic converters is a shame, because they haven't found anything to replace it yet that is nearly as effective.

(our Savages don't have catalytic converters, so it is fine for us)

Car oil companies have tried, but some of the things that do work (moly for example) will kill your wet clutch on your bike.   Mobil 1 has moly in it now, BTW.

So, car oils are a crapshoot right now, especially since they won't tell you exactly what's in it this month (Mobil 1 got slammed hard for that, unexpected formulation changes with no prior warning to the customer base).

Rotella is watched like a hawk for not changing their formulation by a whole lot of truckers, drag racers, Gold Wing motorcyclists, etc. etc.   They keep telling Shell LEAVE IT THE HECK ALONE and Shell by and large does just that.

The fact that this one oil type (built for big diesels but meets all our needs exactly) is precisely what a Savage requires is just good luck on our part.  

Plus the fact you can buy it at Walmart dirt cheap in them big 'ol gallon jugs ....

You have no idea what is inside your red Klotz koolade, but you don't put enough miles on your bike in a year to justify changing the oil so it really doesn't matter much to you.  

You can't even say if you even have ZDDP or any other named additive in your Klotz because Klotz is all "top secret" and won't tell you anything about it except it is magical and it is just about the most expensive oil you can buy (not locally, you got to mail order it).

Bill, expensive does not always mean best -- but as always you will do what you want to do with your money.

===============

Now for the icing on the cake, Rotella oils are JASO motorcycle rated as bike oils, right there on the label.  Klutz got that on their label?  

Noooooooo ....  they don't, do they?   They'd have to expose what's in it and they won't do that.      
red #4 food coloring isn't recognized as a proper oil additive by the Society for Automotive Engineers

Grin   Grin   Grin

Rotella is arguably the best bike oil you can buy anywhere, it is not expensive, and it is readily available at Walmarts everywhere.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #21 - 11/01/11 at 11:03:48

Well, got my oilchange taken care of this weekend.  Went smoothly, with no leaks, and got the propper level added back in no problem.  Shifting seems much smoother now with the clean oil.  Thanks for the info.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 11/01/11 at 12:00:56

OF  I don't want you crying in your beer,But Klotz does have JASO-MA on their label.IT must be for a motorcycle and It has been for over 50 years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 11/01/11 at 12:15:03

Bill is remembering his two stroke Klotz (again) .....      Cheesy

Klotz hasn't even made a 4 stroke oil but 5-6 years now.

Show us the bottle, Bill   (prove it, in other words)

Aaaaaaugh !!    They want facts from me !!!    Aaaaaaugh !!   Nasty I can't find them facts !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 11/01/11 at 12:28:08

OF  Bob your oil buddy has a breakdown on KLOTZ oil how did you miss it.And it was from 2009 and they have improved it, and Rod oil has less of your zppd in it than it did 2 years ago.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 11/01/11 at 12:39:47

Why are we talking about fishing rods?  

What is zppd ???  

(yeah, I checked -- my fly is zipped)

===============================

Facts, Bill

got any?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 11/01/11 at 15:14:32

OF       You are one of those guys who lonely hear what you want to here. Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 11/01/11 at 15:55:57

I can say, that I switched to Rotella T6 last year, and the bike has never run better, and never sounded better. The valve train almost sounds like it has hydraulic lifters, that's how quiet it is. Even when hot, the ticking is not much louder as when cold. Previously with Lucas and even Mobil1, it sounded fine when cold, and when hot like a Diesel.  Before I switched, I checked the valves, and it was all within specs, still it got pretty noisy when hot. I switched to Rotella T6 and on the first ride I already could hear a difference. Over time the performance of the motor seems to have improved as well. I used to use Lucas 20W-50 in the hot Oklahoma summers, and Mobil1 10W-40 in winter. I now run T6 all year round. The oil consumption is still about two shot glasses worth at 1,000 miles. I will never use anything else again. I put 4,000 miles on it since I switched and checked the valves at the same time. It doesn't sound to me like I have to check them again any time soon. It runs better than ever and sounds just as good as it did 4,000 miles ago.
I DO however change oil every 1,500 miles, because it's just my thing. It's not that expensive and not that much effort. I ride it hard, and the stuff gets dark quickly. It just makes me feel better about it. I never try to be a cheapskate with oil. To me it is just a bonus that it is inexpensive, because I buy T6 because it's good stuff. I would even use it if it were double the price.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #28 - 11/01/11 at 16:00:43

I wanted to say that my motor seems to be significantly quieter but I wondered if it was just in my head.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 11/02/11 at 06:01:10

MrBrownTX wrote on 11/01/11 at 16:00:43:
I wanted to say that my motor seems to be significantly quieter but I wondered if it was just in my head.

Every time I change brands my motor does get quieter. A couple more brands, and I'll have to grab the header pipe to know when to let off the starter/key Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Change question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.