Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone put a V Star seat on a Savage? (Read 123 times)
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Anyone put a V Star seat on a Savage?
10/26/11 at 13:44:38

Anyone know of any reason it can't be done?

I am going to try! Smiley

I think.  Huh

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Anyone put a V Star seat on a Savage?
Reply #1 - 10/26/11 at 14:00:28

If you do, document and take lots of pictures. Always looking for a new MOD to make the bike more comfortable (especially for the passenger-when the wife's happy, I'm happy Wink)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 10/26/11 at 14:07:45

I am planning to do that, but I struggle to remember to take pictures, I get so busy working and thinking.  But anything I can do to make any wife happy is a good thing (if not for me, for someone).

Happy wife = happy life.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/26/11 at 14:12:39

I think someone has, don't remember who though.

WWW   IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #4 - 10/26/11 at 20:07:34

<-- Harley Sporster Mustang seat. But no, never tried that one.

IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/26/11 at 21:08:39

Which VStar Seat u going to try Mike?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/26/11 at 22:17:09

There... I knew someone did it...

Jack_650 wrote on 04/06/10 at 08:28:05:
By the time this seat went on I had already changed the tank, which altered the tank-back/seat-front bolt situation a bit. If memory serves me I had to change or add the front-of-seat flange. The original is notched if I remember correctly. The new seat attaches basically the same in the front, just modified to the higher tank rear and its longer bolt.

The back of the seat (as it sits in the pix) is mounted the same way as the stock seat. E X C E P T  that the V-Star seat doesn't have the back flanges to bolt to the tabs on the 650 frame. So what you have to do is make a wide, shallow, square cornered "U" shaped bracket to attach to the bottom of the seat pan. Trial and error on the size and depth of your new bracket.

Once you get the shape, size and location for the the bracket figured out you attach the bracket to the bottom of the seat (I used a construction adhesive and pop rivets) with the arms of "U" pointed down and over lapping the frame bolt down tabs. I had to bend the frame tabs out a bit to get things to line up. Drill holes in the bracket ends to match the tabs and bolt/ or tap-and-screw the bracket in place. Do it right and you can just about lift the bike by the seat. You will end up sitting higher than the stock seat by the way.

My next step, when I decide to either shorten the front of or get rid of the back seat, is to move the saddle back a bit, lower it back closer to stock height and, I hope, add some springs

I've also been looking at, of all things, bicycle saddle seats with springs. With the "widening of Americans" these seats are getting bigger, stronger and a lot more comfortable. I'm giving some thought to getting one and trying it out on the Sav. Shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a mounting system. My one complaint with the V-Star saddle is that it's just a tich wide and can be a bit chafey (is that even a word?) on those consecutive 500+ mile days. Of course that problem could be solved by lowering the saddle. I've never been too worried about what people think of the bike's looks, so if it's comfy it's a keeper.

Jack

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone put a V Star seat on a Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.