Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wifes Petcock went on 2010 S40 (Read 265 times)
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wifes Petcock went on 2010 S40
10/26/11 at 10:08:07

Well u guys can say i told u so now. I'm picking up a Raptor Petcock that i ordered on Monday.My wife bought a new 2010 3 months ago and the Petcock lasted 1700 miles.Her bikes under warranty so i told the service guy at the Suzuki Dealership the Petcock was pooched and he says they dont normally go to which i said Yeah Right then why does fuel come out of thevacuum line when i take it off?The next response from the Service guy was they usually last 10 years.So they will put on a new Suzuki Petcock which i will swap out in the next few weeks with the Raptor Petcock.I'll be doing the Cam Chain Tensioner mod this winter too.

« Last Edit: 10/28/11 at 11:21:48 by ziggy »  
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Wifes Petcock went on 2010 S40
Reply #1 - 10/26/11 at 15:00:50

Remember to sniff your oil fill hole
, if the vac petcock was putting gas down the vac tube there is an outside chance it made it into the sump ....  in which case your wife is due an oil change.

Japanese made parts were pretty good,  can't say that so much for the Chinese made parts.

=============

Now we got some stealership service tech guys saying they expect them vac petcocks to last about 10 years?  

So Suzuki knows all about this issue -- I find that fascinating.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/26/11 at 20:26:09

Changed oil and Filter today and there isnt a chance that i would leave a vacuum operated petcock on this bike now.We ride too far from home to be broke down over something like this

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/27/11 at 09:27:12

A quick question for ziggy. Did you notice that the engine seemed to run a little richer after the change?
I think I will have to back the enrichment screw off a bit. I have not changed anything for two weeks after changing the petcock, and it might just be my imagination, but it seems richer.
I'm wondering if this might be related to a funky vacuum in the old petcock that is now giving an unrestricted flow?
Any ideas?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/27/11 at 09:50:05

If I was to guess, I'd say the full flow of gas at all engine speeds is making you think it is richer.   The float bowl is staying "full up" all the time instead of bobbing up and down, up and down .....

So for the first time your constant velocity carb has had a constant fuel supply, so this is the first time it actually got a chance to work right ...... ????

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/27/11 at 09:50:41

Johnboy,...  engine vacuum is usually fairly high at idle, (unless you have a very low idle speed)... so, a failing vac petcock shouldn't do this, unless it's very bad...  most prominent problems should be at acceleration and highway speeds...

On the other hand,... if the vac line was sucking air,.. this would make you lean at idle, and blocking it when installing a Raptor would fix that...

So,.. uh huh, and uh uh... Huh...
Helpful, huh?... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/28/11 at 11:31:15

Still havent got wifes bike back from dealership so cant respond to some of your questions and Raptor Petcock is still on my workbench and i dont even know why i took it to the Suzuki dealer other than i wanted to hear how they would respond to a Petcock going on a brand new bike with that low of mileage.Wifes bike would still idle okay but under any acceleration it wouldnt get enough fuel.I hit them up for oil and filter change but they are puting on another Suzuki Petcock which i will swap out when i get her bike back.We cant ride for the next 5 months due to winter but this forum is providing me with all the info i need to keep wifes bike on the road and not in the garage.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/30/11 at 10:16:31

At the risk of flogging this dead horse again...
I changed to the raptor petcock about two weeks ago.
This morning was the first day of cool weather in the Phoenix area. I noticed none of the stumbling and surging that I had experienced in the past when I was warming up the bike. Within the first mile it was purring smoothly and without hesitation.
How much of the Vacuum petcock problems stem from a rubber diaphragm in the petcock and a 2nd rubber diaphragm in the enrichment circuit?

Oh, a word about safety here. I have had my raptor petcock set to "ON" night and day since I installed it and have not had an issue with gas leaking into the oil. Thats not to say that it can't or won't happen...but it is not something to loose sleep over
JB

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/30/11 at 18:53:14

If the float valve ever fails to close off, well,, your call,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/31/11 at 07:13:35

If / when it happens, he'll adjust accordingly I am sure.  

I don't tempt fate, I turn mine off (mostly) if the bike is sitting overnight or longer.

For the times I haven't remembered,   well --- no issues yet.

Some on here don't ever turn theirs off, so they will likely find the if / when quicker than I will.

Main thing is that they have lost all their wonky "carb issues" and them "carb issues" ain't coming back, ever.  

If they get an issue now, it will have a clean easy to understand cause most likely.

====================

The Great Petcock Debate

What we do now in the cold months instead of discussing which oil to use.

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/01/11 at 14:04:52

Wife has no problem turning a petcock to off when shes done riding for the day so a stuck float isnt an issue but i have a real issue with a shot diaphragm on a vacuum petcock  leaking fuel down a vacuum line and starving a motor for fuel on a brand new bike with 3000km or 1800 miles!I'll take the manual petcock thanks

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 11/01/11 at 15:18:30

Does a fire putter outer come with those yamaha petcocks,If it don't it should.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #12 - 11/02/11 at 14:43:29

bill67 wrote on 11/01/11 at 15:18:30:
Does a fire putter outer come with those yamaha petcocks,If it don't it should.

"Posted by: JohnBoy

Posted on: 30.10.11 at 10:16:31
At the risk of flogging this dead horse again...
I changed to the raptor petcock about two weeks ago.
This morning was the first day of cool weather in the Phoenix area. I noticed none of the stumbling and surging that I had experienced in the past when I was warming up the bike. Within the first mile it was purring smoothly and without hesitation.
How much of the Vacuum petcock problems stem from a rubber diaphragm in the petcock and a 2nd rubber diaphragm in the enrichment circuit?

Oh, a word about safety here. I have had my raptor petcock set to "ON" night and day since I installed it and have not had an issue with gas leaking into the oil. Thats not to say that it can't or won't happen...but it is not something to loose sleep over
JB"

I am noticing my bike cutting out more often now with mornings dropping into the upper 30's.  I too assume it is the cold affecting that vac petcock.

Also I have owned other bikes with manual petcocks that I left on all the time and never did they have any problems especially not bursting into flames.

Aren't manual petcocks more common that vac operated?  
I have never seen any motorcycles in flames on the side of the road or anyones driveway.  I am throwing gas on the fire here though.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 11/02/11 at 20:03:51

Yunno...  A Raptor petcock isn't an entity unto itself...

It comes off a vehicle called a Raptor....  have you seen any of them blowing themselves up anywhere?...

I'd bet, there have been more Raptors sold than Savages...

In fact... 98% of the all the bikes in history have had manual petcocks... and the only ones that catch fire and blow up are in Hollywood movies and on youtube...

In Hollywood,..
every crash results in an explosion...
every bullet makes a ricochet sound...
and every car chase, involves hitting a fruit cart...

When is the last time you hit a fruit cart?...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 11/04/11 at 08:46:46

I crashed into a car full of gender confused guys once, does that count?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:19:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wifes Petcock went on 2010 S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.