Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What Linux Mint is good for .... (Read 192 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: What Linux Mint is good for ....
Reply #15 - 10/26/11 at 15:25:30

She must be doing something pretty terrible to them, if you can't use Windows then you can't use anything else... maybe she should go back to good ol fashion pen and paper? I'm thinking of doing that myself.

I know Windows has it's faults but it's not half as bad as the elitest Linux/OSX crowd make it out to be... Macintosh has always been complete 1 button un-upgradable garbage but you never seem to hear anyone complain about that... it's always "I didn't save my work, and the power went out.. SCREW WINDOWS".. hehe.. just down right silly... now Windows has auto-save.. not sure if Linux or OSX even had it, but it was still Windows fault...

Windows seems to be really, really, really stable now.. just so much spyware/malware/virus crap for it it's unbelievable...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 10/26/11 at 16:40:22

She lives at a University and she takes electronic transfers of papers, etc from all her students, so she gets exposed to all the neat new viruses and stuff as the kids seem to pass it along just like they do the biological germs.

University still uses Novell Server and WinXP, so don't be looking for Win7 to be saving anybody's bacon 'cause it ain't there yet.

I'll pass along your recommendation that she drop back to the quill pen and ink well era but I jest don't think that's very likely to happen.

================

Stupidest thing she ever did was click on a link that told her her PC was infected with the AdAlert virus and click here to down-load the repair software .....   she was trusting Bile's Microsoft she was because the message looked like one of Bile's very own system alert windows.

Heck, I can remember back 10 years ago I got an email from my ISP saying my daughter's machine at college was a "bot farm bot" and was processing 10 megabytes of somebody else's net traffice every single day for me to pay "over allotment traffic" charges for.  

She had logged on to some piratebay site of some sort and had "joined up" when asked to.   She thought it was a torrent of some sort.

Not everything bad out there is Bile's fault to be sure, but I do find it interesting when I get a Linux Firefox alert that someone else is trying to control my machine and I find I have yet another ad-based something trying to "tick-suck" my processor cycles while it tracks my purchasing habits.

Linux isn't elitist, it is way way too boring for that.  

If you think it is elitist then I guess you are saying you think it is in some ways superior -- I tend to think of it as boring reliable and Bile's stuff as being partially buggy defective in its basic structure.

Heck, XP is 10 years old and they are still patching it every Tuesday morning.  It has gone through 3 major service pack rewrites and two smaller supplements on top of that.   Plus 530 Tuesday AM forced updates ....

PS    when Windows locks up, you tend to lose the file in process.   If you have autosave on, you get like 10 minutes of loss to the saved file (which for Windows is an improvement over losing the whole durn thing).

Failing to ask Windows permission to unplug your jump drive and then scrambling hundreds of file names -- that is a file system structural flaw of more consequence.

Did you know that Linux file systems don't permit your files to become fragmented very much at all?    Defrag software doesn't really exist in Linux because it isn't needed?

Systems REGISTRY FILE is another Windows thing that drives systems nuts, making them run slower and slower over time as the file gets cluttered with crap over years of use.

Bile's baby has lots of non-optimal things about it to love.

Count up the money you have spent on Microsoft this and that over your years of computing .....  

.... the total is plumb scary big and you got some pretty sorry stuff to use for having spent all that much money on it ....

Linux was written by computer professionals in their spare time as a ego fulfillment exercise and it costs zero $$$ for you to use it ....

.... the only price you pay is putting up with the boring goodness .....

(and mebbe occasionally have some folks accuse you of being elitist and thinking of you like you use Apple stuff which is also boring good but VERY VERY EXPENSIVE dollar-wise)

=========================

Here's your informative YouTube burb for today's current operating system advancements ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #17 - 10/26/11 at 17:35:58

Oh so your wife buys into all those fake alerts and crap.. I've seen a million people with all those bloatware/malware/spyware/virus problems, and believe me if everyone converted to another OS such as Linux the same kind of problems (not the exact windows environment) will start to occur.

The elitists are out there, the kind that will try to vote kick you off of a game server just for mentioning that Apple is garbage, even if they started the trash talk first Cheesy

I'm happy with XP.. not gonna buy Windows 7 or whatever they're up too.. and will most likely be making the change to Linux once theirs a flavor I'm satisfied with.. got root?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 10/26/11 at 19:35:39

Yup, got root authority any time I want it (some system items actually will ask you for the root password as you are modifying your system with some changes).  

Can sudo at any time at will from a terminal window, can only remember needing to do so ONCE in the last 2 years though ....

All in all, have sudo'd or root passworded 3-4 times ever -- have to give "permission" more times than that for ANY SINGLE VISTA sit down & use session.

Mint doesn't rub your nose in it very often, but it will tell you politely if something tries to use your computer that likely ain't you ....

"Warning .... an unidentified web site has attempted to change your Flash settings through file modifications to Adobe system files.  Do you wish to block or allow? (click here for more details)"

Fork no !!!

Flash is most of the remaining issues that exist with Mint Linux, since Mint tries to use Adobe Flash so as to offer the full web experience and Flash is about as buggy as Bile's stuff is.  

So Mint generally watches Flash like a hawk ....      Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 10/27/11 at 06:30:36

Meh.  They both have their purpose.  

I use nothing but Windows at work, and 90% Linux at home.  The home computer is dual-boot because I have to have full compatibility with MS Office files.  OpenOffice can't edit them well enough for me to trust them to look exactly the same in Windows.  Also, some websites (that I need for bill-paying and whatnot) will not run right unless I boot into windows, and I don't have the energy to figure it out.  It would probably involve me having Linux spoof a Windows install, similar to how you can make Opera spoof IE.

XP is pretty secure once it's behind a ZoneAlarm or Komodo firewall.  I don't worry about it picking up a virus, especially since the whole rig (along with my wife's windoz machine) is behind a router.  

Whatever the OS, it is a good idea to run Firefox with the NoScript and Flashblock extensions.  That  breaks most websites, which you then re-enable one by one.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #20 - 10/27/11 at 06:59:02

Komodo firewall, XP built in firewall, NOD32 anti-virus, Malwarebyte's.. and I'm actually smart enough to press ctlr + s to save stuff.. I haven't had to format from any worms for years because the more paranoid you are on the internet with Windows the better..

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #21 - 10/27/11 at 07:36:41

Not having a CD burner or DVD burner I'm using UNetbootin to extract the Mint .iso onto my Droid phone to use as a USB drive.. seems I'm stuck at "10 of 23" files extracted..

And yes I know Ubuntu has a Windows installer but I'm not to fond of Ubuntu...

I want to see the performance difference on this old rig I'm using at the moment..  Cheesy

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #22 - 10/27/11 at 09:51:50

Was a fun try, but a no go... my Droid can't be used as a bare bones USB drive..  Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:18:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › What Linux Mint is good for ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.