Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good online Motorcycle tech/repair colleges? (Read 65 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Good online Motorcycle tech/repair colleges?
10/22/11 at 10:16:40

Does anyone know of any GOOD online motorcycle technology or repair/mechanic colleges that worth a darn? I've read review after review and they all seem to be garbage... I'm kind of interested in it but there aren't any real colleges in my area...

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Good online Motorcycle tech/repair colleges?
Reply #1 - 10/22/11 at 10:23:21

I would say Education Direct.They've been around forever.BUT.I had a guy in my shop the other day asking the same thing.Why not buy a used/junk/cheap bike and the manual to go with it?I feel there is no substitution for hands on.I went to school for aviation maintenance.The book work was to understand the function of a paticular part(ie.piston).But until you see/feel it,take apart reassemble you're not getting the whole thing.........Just my opinion.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 10/22/11 at 11:26:25

Demin wrote on 10/22/11 at 10:23:21:
I would say Education Direct.They've been around forever.BUT.I had a guy in my shop the other day asking the same thing.Why not buy a used/junk/cheap bike and the manual to go with it?I feel there is no substitution for hands on.I went to school for aviation maintenance.The book work was to understand the function of a paticular part(ie.piston).But until you see/feel it,take apart reassemble you're not getting the whole thing.........Just my opinion.  

I have a bike, and I can tinker with it all I want and still not learn the actual physics/mechanics behind it all by myself... I can learn to rig it by myself all day long, but what I'd like is the actual smarts and "know how" to build an engine from scratch, and how to overhaul without blowing my arms off  Cheesy

I see nothing wrong with learning the particular purpose of a certain part in an engine, or what it's made of and why  Wink

"Education Direct" or Penn Foster is what I keep reading bad reviews on... but some mixed reviews.. I'd like to actually find someone that completed their course and have a discussion with them.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 10/22/11 at 13:31:44

I understand.My Ex took a class,I think with Penn Foster.It was ok.They send you a section at a time.You do it,take the test and then when you pass that one they send you the next one.I don't think she ever got her "diploma" though,and all the money was paid. I forgot sometimes people aren't born into motorhead families,lol.
I'm the kind of person that learns hands on........which I still have both of,with all ten fingers. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 10/22/11 at 13:39:52

Demin wrote on 10/22/11 at 13:31:44:
I understand.My Ex took a class,I think with Penn Foster.It was ok.They send you a section at a time.You do it,take the test and then when you pass that one they send you the next one.I don't think she ever got her "diploma" though,and all the money was paid. I forgot sometimes people aren't born into motorhead families,lol.
I'm the kind of person that learns hands on........which I still have both of,with all ten fingers. Grin

My dad is an engineer and I grew up around motorcycles, but I never really owned one till now (most of my family has had or is a Harley rider). I know what you're saying about "hands on" but theirs no local colleges that have a program and I can only learn so much on my S40, so that's why I'm lookin for something more in depth... so the online college is what it looks like I'm gonna be stuck with...

What I've read about Penn Foster has been terrible.. too bad she had to pay for it without the diploma..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/23/11 at 12:28:49

How about buying a clunker & fixing it up? Get a book,
or,, is there a local, private shop around? Maybe you could volunteer some time, clean up, roll bikes in & out, & get some training.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 10/23/11 at 14:13:15

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/23/11 at 12:28:49:
How about buying a clunker & fixing it up? Get a book,
or,, is there a local, private shop around? Maybe you could volunteer some time, clean up, roll bikes in & out, & get some training.,

The shops around here don't want you in their garage even if they're working on your bike.. heh I tried that  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/23/11 at 14:26:51

Sometimes it takes time to develop a relationship with an owner.. Go hang out, take do nuts, visit a while, pick up a broom & sweep a bit up.. I got a job in a blacksmith shop that way & that guy had never had anyone work with him.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 10/23/11 at 14:37:18

I'm considering some Auto-mechanic classes at the local college.. hey, it's all sparks, gas, pistons, and air right?  Cheesy

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #9 - 10/23/11 at 14:50:44

Ask around & see if you can find someone who repairs/rebuilds bikes for people. You'll probably find the kind of guy you need from word of mouth, because they don't tend to advertise & generally work from a shop at their house & usually work alone. Get to know him before you ask about learning or helping out, because he's heard it before & won't trust you until he knows you a while.

If you're lucky, you'll find someone like I did at age 14 & learn lessons that last a lifetime. Even though it was cars and not bikes, the same things apply.

I still remember:  Son, that engine doesn't know who made it or how many cylinders it has. It just needs air, fuel, compression & a spark at the right time & it will run. Grin

That has led me to work on some unusual engines through the years. And what I learned is still true today. And my daddy would bring home broken things for me to take apart because if it was already broken I couldn't hurt it. I got my first lawn mower that way, was given one almost new with a broken rod that I replaced. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 10/23/11 at 15:52:04

I learned by doing. When I was young I couldn't afford to pay someone to fix my cars so I learned to do it myself, with the help of a friend or two, and the shop manual.
The first vehicle I ever owned, a '37 Enfield, I took apart, cleaned and painted, and re-assembled in the basement when I was 15. It was supposed to be a father son project, but it turned into a son project fairly quickly. Took me almost a year, but I got it done- without any manual.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:25:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Good online Motorcycle tech/repair colleges?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.