Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bike won't start in cold weather! (Read 315 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: bike won't start in cold weather!
Reply #15 - 10/22/11 at 16:50:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/22/11 at 07:47:57:
If I want to make sure mine wont start, all I have to do is give the gas a twist one time.

& as stated..

Just remember that if "prime" don't fix it, a manual petcock won't fix it.

I aways give it a 1/4 or so throttle,....seemd to starts fine.
I don't know it won't start at a dead idle, but if it isn't very thrilled about running at a dead idle when cold, I can't think it would be very happy about starting at dead idle either. Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #16 - 10/22/11 at 17:43:26

UPDATE:

Got home from work and gave it a try, in neutral, left choke in, didn't touch throttle:

started right up, starter clicked maybe 3 times. probably 10 degrees or so (low 50s) warmer than it was this morning (low 40s).

I had left it on prime all day while I was working. Adjusted the idle a bit... took off. After I got through a few red lights I opened 'er up, and switched to reserve (i normally ride in res. tends to cut out less that way). Got through one stop fine, but cut out at the next stop. Put it back in prime.... rode it home fine.

Now that the idle is higher (and louder) I made a point to sit in prime, on, and reserve... and noticed a significant and immediate (though gradual) decrease in the engine when it was in on or reserve.... seems to just slowly cut out.

So....
1) battery is still my first thought. it could just be that this old battery doesn't like the cold and it was JUST warm enough to work.
2) i don't plan on giving it gas when i try in the morning.
3) definitely a problem with my petcock, right?
4) is it ok to just ride in prime until I figure this all out?

to be continued... fingers crossed for the ride to work in the morning (forecast calls for another freezing cold morning!!)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 10/22/11 at 17:45:45

1 yup
2 yup
3 yup
4 yup

Yarp!... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #18 - 10/22/11 at 19:37:21

If you leave it on prime all day while at work, there should be a puddle under the bike at night when you are ready to go home.

As a vacumn assisted system, fuel will stay in the tank when the petcock is on run, or reserve as   long as the bike is not rumming.  However, in prime you are relying on gravity alone and gravity doesn't take the day off while you work and doesn't care if the engine is running or not..

The " choke" is an enrichener, and as such doesn't reduce the air portion of the air/fuel mixture (as a choke would) but rather puts more fuel into the mixture.  This is why when you pull out the enrichener, you should not turn your throttle when starting it.  That will flood the system.

Battery sounds  suspect, fuel lines are old enough to need replacement.
Have fun and let us know how the beater search goes. Grin Grin

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #19 - 10/22/11 at 20:38:43

I still have the OE petcock, rebuilt, but still not working right. I run it on prime all the time. I never futz with it at shutoff either. No puddles, no flooding. As long as the float is working and the needle seats correctly, it's not a problem. So far, so good. (knocks on wood) I may some day get a Raptor, but my motor will probably blow up 1st.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 10/22/11 at 22:12:28

Start bike, run on prime. Flip to on, run till it starts cutting out, shut off, drain carb bowl, see how much is in it. Close the drain, put it on prime a while, set it back to ON, drain again, compare volumes, See if youre starving,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #21 - 10/24/11 at 06:28:39

Trippah wrote on 10/22/11 at 19:37:21:
If you leave it on prime all day while at work, there should be a puddle under the bike at night when you are ready to go home.

As a vacumn assisted system, fuel will stay in the tank when the petcock is on run, or reserve as   long as the bike is not rumming.  However, in prime you are relying on gravity alone and gravity doesn't take the day off while you work and doesn't care if the engine is running or not..

The " choke" is an enrichener, and as such doesn't reduce the air portion of the air/fuel mixture (as a choke would) but rather puts more fuel into the mixture.  This is why when you pull out the enrichener, you should not turn your throttle when starting it.  That will flood the system.

Battery sounds  suspect, fuel lines are old enough to need replacement.
Have fun and let us know how the beater search goes. Grin Grin

You'll only get the "puddle" if your float in your carb is bad. puddle, here, means either an actual puddle of gas on the ground, or a puddle of gas in your oil (which is very rare on these bikes). My other bike (xs750) has a bad history of gasoil due to bad floats...

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 10/24/11 at 06:56:30

If it cuts out when on or reserve and not on prime, there is a problem somewhere in the vacuum operated petcock delivery system,.....most likely being the vacuum delivery to the petcock.

Running it on "prime", and parking it on "on", is exactly the same as running a manual petcock on "on", and parking it on "off", except you don't have a reserve.

Leaving it parked on prime, is the same as not turning a manual petcock off. It should not hurt anything,......but if it does, you better get it fixed....no matter which petcock you're using !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #23 - 10/25/11 at 16:44:10

UPDATE II:

The bike didn't start the next morning. I took a cab. It started fine when I got home from work, and has every time since. Though been running in prime as still having the stall out problems in ON or RES.

But get this:

I just got in from batteries plus. I got the the best of the three offered for about $90 with tax (see link below).

I decided since I was out to get some sea foam for good measure... when i pulled into pep boys, I realized I had been riding with the petcock "on"... with no stall out or problems (this hasn't happened in months...)

I put the sea foam in at the gas station, filled 'er up.. and road home (6 miles, lots of red lights) without one problem or noticeable difference in engine activity while idling...

i was planning on ordering a new petcock online tonight. could a new battery really have solved this problem!?

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/40578-X2--15L-X2Power%C2%AE-AGM-Battery/...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 10/25/11 at 17:39:47

You could have more than one problem, each making it worse by itself and all together... killing it.

You're doing the petcock and seafoam thingy... have you checked your charging voltage?

And if low voltage is dropping your sparking voltage... maybe a new plug.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:16:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike won't start in cold weather!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.