Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bike won't start in cold weather! (Read 315 times)
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
bike won't start in cold weather!
10/22/11 at 06:19:11

hey guys... so I've already found some good advice looking through the forum... but gotta get to work. wanted to give my specific details and see if anyone had further advice...

I had problems starting yesterday (50 degrees or so) but she finally turned over. This morning (mid-40s), no luck, and I tried so long the battery doesn't have enough juice anymore. I learned very quickly that trying to push start a very cold bike, in 45 degree weather, on a flat road is not only nearly impossible, but heart-attack inducing.

info worth noting: 2000 savage L650. I've had an engine problem that's gotten worse and worse over the past month (as it's gotten colder and wetter outside). Riding in reserve was helping, but now that's not even working too well. Constantly cuts out at red lights, and often as soon as I pull in clutch and downshift when slowing. Choke doesn't seem to be much help - need to roll throttle while clutch is pulled or cuts off -  and if I start it normal then pull the choke, she cuts off right away.

From what I found on here, I need to adjust the idle - and really what I should do is switch to the raptor petcock, I just work nonstop and haven't had time so I've been dealing with the crappy ride by throttling hard at red lights.

I know it could be battery, but my savage is my daily ride, and only 8 hours went by since I got off her last night to when I tried this morning.

I tried in first, neutral, choke in, choke out. (though, from what I read I see i should only do it in neutral in cold due to oil viscosity). Normally, if I hold down starter and give it some gas she'll start up after 5 or 6 clicks.... no go this morning.

any advice?

(sorry such a huge post, but won't have time to check till later today and want to give as much details as possible. Thanks ahead of time, you guys are awesome!!!)

IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Re: bike won't start in cold weather!
Reply #1 - 10/22/11 at 06:25:00

oh, almost forgot:

I do have a charger, was going to charge it when I get home over night and give it a go in the morning. could it really be battery considering my history over the last month though?

also, I switching it to prime didn't help.Though, after running up and down the street, huffing and puffing like an idiot for 20 minutes, the bike just seemed to have a better life to it.. like it was ready to start... but by then there was no more battery. Though, I don't think running up and down the street at 7am all winter is a very viable option  Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/22/11 at 06:27:26

Cold plastic = stiff plastic, petcock may not deliver well,, BUT, it otta start on whats in the bowl.

What are ya doin with the choke?
Get that batter well charged..
& yes, I set my idle higher at startup, I turn it down as the engine warms up. I do that even in summer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #3 - 10/22/11 at 06:38:01

justin... thanks for the quick response.  You're the reason I know about the idle, from in your other posts. I'm sure I can find this in the technical section... but advice on where exactly idle screw is? It seems pretty easy to fix.  (this is my first bike, so I'm still learning the 101 stuff, sorry)

I wish I would've come on here months ago. I just thought I needed a new petcock this whole time, didn't know fidling with the idle might of done the trick instead.

I tried it a couple times with choke out to no avail after my first attempts - but the choke's never done much for me so i pushed it back in.

Also, i've gotten in the habit of throttling pretty heavy while the starter clicks to get her going due to the petcock issues (even when in prime).. I'm starting to think this is a bad idea based on other posts. But I don't know that she'd turn over without giving it gas... even in warm weather.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 10/22/11 at 06:55:01

I know one thing, mine always starts faster and better when it has the little cheap HF maintainer charger hooked to it. That tells me my battery is not the best of shape anymore after near 5 yrs old,.......which I knew that when I bought it 2.5 yrs ago.
And in cold weather especially, the Savage needs a good battery to start correctly.
Also, don't read this forum too faithfully,......or you too will get brainwashed into believeing that a manual petcock will fix everything !
Just remember that if "prime" don't fix it, a manual petcock won't fix it.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/22/11 at 07:47:57

If I want to make sure mine wont start, all I have to do is give the gas a twist one time.

& as stated..

Just remember that if "prime" don't fix it, a manual petcock won't fix it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #6 - 10/22/11 at 08:24:18

Two years ago my savage was my only way to work, even in the snow. My stock battery did fine in warmer weather, but below 40, it would turn over forever but never start despite reading a good voltage.

I switched to the Big Crank and the bike has been so much better starting up.

A manual petcock isn't a bad idea generally on these bikes, but right now I'd be suspect of the battery, especially if it is a bit older.

Want to cover all your bases? a $20 petcock and $80 battery gets that out of the way.

Another thought: what kind of oil do you run? switching to a lighter weight might help out a bit, but i'm not positive.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 10/22/11 at 09:55:47

Skip,... here's the correct way to test your petcock...
How to check your petcock,...

... and here's some info explaining the how's and why's of your carb...
Serowbot's carb tuning tips for beginners...

If your petcock tests good,... I'd look to a weak battery as the culprit...
They can seem to crank okay, and still be too weak to start...

You aren't running a straight weight oil, are you?...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/22/11 at 09:56:11

Carb ever been apart?? Sticky slide maybe?? Vacuum lines ever been checked or replaced?? How bout the spark plug??

The idle speed adjust screw is on the left side of the carb. The big fat shiny one.

Definately sounds like a charge, if not new, battery is in order. You'd be amazed the difference it makes.

Good luck, keep us updated.

IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #9 - 10/22/11 at 09:58:47

hmm so maybe it is the battery. thanks everyone.

i bought the bike off a coworker last spring.. he had it almost a year a never changed the battery. I haven't changed the battery, and have had it die on me twice. once i got it back on with a charger, once with a push start.

in other words... for all i know that battery is OLD and i know for a fact it's seen some bad days.

ill see if i can't push start it when I get home, and get to a store to buy a battery. any advice on the best place to buy?

and i'm hoping turning the idle up solves my other problems.

i'll keep you guys updated for others who are checkin on this in the future

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 10/22/11 at 10:08:06

It's worth the cash to go for the sealed glass mat type...
Big Crank on the internet... or Batteries Plus if you have them where you are...
Batteries Plus will cost you a little more. but you have local warranty, and get it right away...

Don't do an Ebay cheapie,... I got screwed last year with one,... it had soldered on tin lugs that broke right off...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
skipkb
YaBB Newbies

2000 Savage LS650

louisville, ky
Reply #11 - 10/22/11 at 10:10:43

whoa... jsut caught the last two posts. thanks drums & serowbot!

"Carb ever been apart?? Sticky slide maybe?? Vacuum lines ever been checked or replaced?? How bout the spark plug??"

the short answer: i have not a clue, ha. all this wouldve been jibberish to me a year ago, and I'm still learnin (slowly but surely!). due to how much I work.. it makes it tough though.

as for the oil... due to an occasional oil leak (and i do mean occasional.. itll go months without a problem, then leak for a week, then nothing again for long periods of time. very hot weather and riding long periods seem to cause the leak?) i've been putting... sigh.. cheap oil in it, since I loose it. the first time i went to the suzuki shop and bought good stuff, lost it in two days. the crappy stuff? it's lasted me over a month.

im hoping an overnight charge will get it going in the morning... i just need her to get me by long enought to buy a beater car for the winter, and I plan on working on her on my spare time throughout the winter to get her ready for spring! (clearly i have a lot of tuning up to do)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/22/11 at 10:16:31

IU wouldnt go piddling with anything till I was dead sure its not the battery. That would just introduce more potential reasons its not starting. Even with a messy carb, it otta coff & sputter. It went from running to not starting, doesnt sound like a carb to me. Carb may not be perfect, but it was running..

& if the plug got nasty while you cranked the gas & had it on choke, you may be smart to slap a fresh on in, like someone said Up There.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/22/11 at 14:35:56

I agree. Do the spark plug and the battery 1st. I got mine at Batteries Plus. 1st one lasted 4 1/2 years. Just got a new one this past winter. It's the maintenance free  Gel one. Costs a bit more than the acid filled one, but it's worth the extra $$.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 10/22/11 at 16:41:00

drums1 wrote on 10/22/11 at 14:35:56:
I agree. Do the spark plug and the battery 1st. I got mine at Batteries Plus. 1st one lasted 4 1/2 years. Just got a new one this past winter. It's the maintenance free  Gel one. Costs a bit more than the acid filled one, but it's worth the extra $$.

Its probably an AGM, (absorbed glass matt) not a gel. I'm not sure they make a gel type MC battery, but if so, it would not be a good choice, because most have special charge and discharge specifications,.....if I remember correctly.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike won't start in cold weather!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.