Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CLR + Bolts/Parts = Rust? (Read 124 times)
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CLR + Bolts/Parts = Rust?
10/21/11 at 11:40:01

Im doing a restoration on minibike, and I cleaned up all the rust and gunk off all the bolts/brackets using CLR, and the outcome was great.

However, everything turned to nuts after about 6 months. all the bolts are rusted, and everything accumulated a white corrosion around it (flywheel, carb, head, etc).

How come CLR does this, and what can I do to properly clean and restore the pieces?

I was told CLR sucks out all the oil out of the metals, this making it corrode much quicker, and that I can soak them in oil to restore it back to its nature, is this true?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: CLR + Bolts/Parts = Rust?
Reply #1 - 10/21/11 at 15:14:00

Get an old pot and hot plate. Put clean parts in the pot and cover them with old oil. Heat it up to 350 or 400 degrees and cook the parts for at least 2 hrs. Forget about ever painting them. Grin
This is also an excellent technique for making cast iron pots and pans non stick, only use new vegetable oil or cheap olive oil, paint the pans with the oil, painting more on if dry spots appear, and bake 'em in the oven at 350 for two or three hours. And don't use soap when you wash them, just hot water- something I can't get my wife to wrap her head around. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/21/11 at 16:27:57

Ill definitely do that, thanks a lot arteacher

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 10/21/11 at 16:49:43

arteacher--my wife has a whole set of them there cast iron pans. (Lodge brand) It's called "seasoning" them. She either did it wrong or used the wrong oil or something, but not a darn one of them is non-stick. I can't stand using them.

Not to mention the stench in the entire house from the baking process. Had to air out the whole house every time she did one.

They now come pre-seasoned from the factory.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 10/21/11 at 21:33:05

drums1 wrote on 10/21/11 at 16:49:43:
Not to mention the stench in the entire house from the baking process. Had to air out the whole house every time she did one.

our neighbors know when the wife has dinner ready..
the smoke alarms Cheesy

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/21/11 at 22:42:19

Calcium Lime Rust, more commonly known as CLR, is a household cleaning product used for dissolving stains, such as calcium, lime, and iron oxide deposits, from material types found in western-style kitchens or bathrooms.

Its ingredients include water, lactic acid, gluconic acid, glycolic acid, sulfamic acid, citric acid, and surfactants. The product also contained phosphoric acid at one time, but it is now phosphate free. The phosphate free formula is slightly more environmentally friendly, but its effectiveness against some stains such as rust is greatly reduced.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 10/22/11 at 03:39:42

drums1 wrote on 10/21/11 at 16:49:43:
arteacher--my wife has a whole set of them there cast iron pans. (Lodge brand) It's called "seasoning" them. She either did it wrong or used the wrong oil or something, but not a darn one of them is non-stick. I can't stand using them.

They now come pre-seasoned from the factory.

I season mine (a real old set I inherited from my mother) with good olive oil with a bit of garlic oil and sesame oil mixed in. The house smells good when I do it. Grin
BTW when I first got them I had to remove the baked on grease with a wire wheel on a surface grinder.
The trick to using them is to not cook at real high temps. I can fry an egg perfectly with no sticking at all with the burner set on 3.
I threw out all the "no stick" pans because the teflon they use off gasses bad things into your food.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/22/11 at 15:27:40

Wash that nasty cast in HOT soapy water, wash it again,, then read about how to season it online. Dont worry about getting it perfect, just get one coat on it & start using it. Never let soap get on it & USE IT. iT WILL GET BETTER & BETTER.  Ditch aluminum & teflon & youll be better off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:25:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CLR + Bolts/Parts = Rust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.