Bypassing clutch switch (Read 86 times)
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Bypassing clutch switch
10/21/11 at 05:19:23

Okay, so this is kind of a sidebar from AZSGT's post where it was brought up.  I read about bypassing the clutch switch, and went ahead and did it.
Pulled some wire, stripped two ends and bridged the gap (see below).  That should be okay, no?  I don't want to cause any bigger electrical problems just for this.  Works the way I want it -- don't have to pull clutch to start in neutral, but sidestand and neutral switch are still in tact so the safeties are still there.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: Bypassing clutch switch
Reply #1 - 10/21/11 at 05:41:33

The clutch switch wires on my '86 were separate from the main plug for the controls so I was able to unplug them under the tank and then plug them into each other. One is male and the other female.  That way I could just leave the wires at the clutch handle plugged in for a little cleaner look.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/21/11 at 05:52:08

The wire will work but a spade terminal fits in the connector more securely, & if you cut off the barrel part where the wire normally goes, you can stick the connector partialy back in the switch so it still looks hooked up.
It will start in gear now if you have the sidestand up without pulling in the clutch, so be careful. Shocked
No different from the bikes I grew up with. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #3 - 10/21/11 at 05:53:53

I should add then that once I installed the wire I pulled the copper connectors, spring and switch piece from the housing. I put that open end shown in the picture back into the switch housing, sans connectors, switch and spring, and attached it to the stock location again.  Looks exactly like it did before.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:28:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bypassing clutch switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.