Real Bike (Read 203 times)
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Real Bike
10/20/11 at 19:35:29

Went to visit my favorite motorcycle mechanic today(Motorcycle Tech-Upland, Ca.). Spied a 2011 S40 that he was doing some mods on. Bike looks kinda strange, solo seat setting up 3-4 inches higher than normal. two really long springs under the back of it. One of the guys tells me it's only a mock-up at this point. I think OK, but this bike still looks weird. Finally see what it is. Clutch lever has been relocated to right handlebar. It sets above the front break lever. I'm puzzled???? Go inside and ask Fabricio what he is building and he tells me the owner has very limited use of left arm. Operates both clutch and front brake with right hand. Says the guy puts on his gloves and uses a loop of tape to hold left hand to grip. I'll try and get ahold of the owner, maby some picts. This might be a good forum for him.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Real Bike
Reply #1 - 10/21/11 at 06:55:40

I guess one learns to adapt to their capabilities.  But man, that would feel weird, clutching with the right hand!

And I bet you are right, he could learn alot here and likely teach alot too!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 10/21/11 at 07:00:44

Don't know that I would want my left hand taped to the handlebar.....

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #3 - 10/21/11 at 07:21:14

I was hoping this fellow uses maby a single loop of maby 1/2 in masking tape. Duct tape could be really bad news. Must use the back brake alot. Don't see how he could use clutch and front brake at the same time. Just think about riding like that.

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #4 - 10/21/11 at 08:16:40

If it were me in that situation, I think I would prefer a mod to some kind of "foot" actuated clutch.  Maybe a heel operated clutch pedal on the right side.  As for his left arm, why not attach a bit of velcro to the glove and grip?  Just throwing out some ideas.....   Smiley

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/21/11 at 08:26:24

He may be able to use the trick that gymnists use, a strap slung between the wrist and fingers.  as long as there's tension on the strap, the hand will grip the bar.

I think I would move the master cylinder and have it operated by the right foot, tie the two together.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/21/11 at 08:42:03

verslagen1 wrote on 10/21/11 at 08:26:24:
He may be able to use the trick that gymnists use, a strap slung between the wrist and fingers.  as long as there's tension on the strap, the hand will grip the bar.

I think I would move the master cylinder and have it operated by the right foot, tie the two together.

That would be easier to do if we had a hydraulic rear brake. Then balance could be achieved by using an adjustable proportioning valve, readily available from racecar parts suppliers.
Don't think I would want to tackle trying to make it work with our mechanical rear brake.
And if you have ever ridden a bike with a foot clutch, you'd know that is not easy to deal with. Just think about holding down a clutch & using the brake pedal at the same time. Need training wheels. Roll Eyes

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/22/11 at 08:10:17

That strap has a dowel rod running across it in the palm. Actually the rod sits on the "other side" of what the gymnast is holding, usually the high bar. I ran around with the gym team in college. Nicest bunch of jocks I ever met, but for all their abilities, generally, they are the4r sorriest wrestlers you ever met,.,I was amazed & a little dismayed, I thot sure I was gonna get some good rasslin in & on that padded floor, too,, but, it turns out they were just miserable at wrestling,, One guy was okay, but out of 20 or so? Crud,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 10/22/11 at 09:09:04

drums1 wrote on 10/21/11 at 07:00:44:
Don't know that I would want my left hand taped to the handlebar.....

You're right.. he should use a velcro attachment instead...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Real Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.