Send Topic Print
Torque Wrench (Read 194 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Torque Wrench
10/20/11 at 18:02:12

My Clymer manual is on it's way & I'm gonna need a torque wrench. Looking at 1/2" drive Craftsman beam type, 0-150 ft/lbs., $26.99 on line/local pick-up. Any other suggestions, cautions, whatever?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Torque Wrench
Reply #1 - 10/20/11 at 18:21:32

I would pay the difference and get a click type.Alot more accurate.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 10/20/11 at 18:31:51

The 150 ft-lb wrenches are fine for larger torques but I'd get a different one for low torques.  I think the rule of thumb is, don't trust the accuracy at the top and bottom 20% of the wrench's range. I bought the $40 clicker from Northern Tool and it is pretty good.  But sure enough, it takes a little "exercise" to get it to behave consistently at low torques.  So I bought a little 1/4" drive beamer for the light stuff.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #3 - 10/20/11 at 18:32:59

Clicker types can theoretically lose their accuracy over time.  I think in practice this doesn't happen much more than a few %.

I do know that with clickers, you just turn until you here the click.  In contrast, beam type wrenches require you to stand directly above the gauge; you can't stand to the side, otherwise you'll get an inaccurate reading.  To me, a clicker is more convenient.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/20/11 at 18:44:16

I would have to disagree on that point.

Ran QC calibration labs that calibrated both, clickers only went 1-2 years before requiring internal tweeking to get back to low and top range spec, often they would do one but not the other and were scrapped or re-spec'd to the zone they actually functioned well in.

(mostly they got scrapped if they were plant owned tools, the personal tools only folks got all funny about their$200 Snap On or Proto clicker wrench that wouldn't calibrate any more and we would re-spec them for them to be used only in the zone they were reliable to use if it was reasonable to do so.   Or we told them to take them home, they could not come back into the shop as they were junk/nuts/useless for the range the set up man actually worked in)

Deflecting beam units remained relatively consistent and faithful unless taken way out of range (damaged) but you had to buy one that was aimed at the range you were working in for the application you were doing to get enough graduations to pass a GR&R study.

0-150 foot pounds is a bit silly for fine work -- way too broad.  Get a 0-50 and a 50-100 ft pound unit and use the one that best fits what you are trying to do.

One sterling use of a broad range 0-150 beam type is detecting issues with fastener pull up (bolt stretching) on LARGE bolts.  If you get a lot of bolts that stretches before hitting torque, or one that will not maintain spec torque after a half hour at rest, you can determine that with a beam unit much quicker/clearer than with a clicker unit.

Personal preference for my pocketbook is a beam unit because you can see the torque build up and you know you are almost there.  

A clicker leaves you blind, and ---- was that the click?  mebbe not, a little more and we'll see, nope, a little more .....  nope .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 10/20/11 at 21:01:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/20/11 at 18:44:16:

I would have to disagree on that point.

Ran QC calibration labs that calibrated both, clickers only went 1-2 years before requiring internal tweeking to get back to low and top range spec, often they would do one but not the other and were scrapped or re-spec'd to the zone they actually functioned well in.

(mostly they got scrapped if they were plant owned tools, the personal tools only folks got all funny about their$200 Snap On or Proto clicker wrench that wouldn't calibrate any more and we would re-spec them for them to be used only in the zone they were reliable to use if it was reasonable to do so.   Or we told them to take them home, they could not come back into the shop as they were junk/nuts/useless for the range the set up man actually worked in)

Deflecting beam units remained relatively consistent and faithful unless taken way out of range (damaged) but you had to buy one that was aimed at the range you were working in for the application you were doing to get enough graduations to pass a GR&R study.

0-150 foot pounds is a bit silly for fine work -- way too broad.  Get a 0-50 and a 50-100 ft pound unit and use the one that best fits what you are trying to do.

One sterling use of a broad range 0-150 beam type is detecting issues with fastener pull up (bolt stretching) on LARGE bolts.  If you get a lot of bolts that stretches before hitting torque, or one that will not maintain spec torque after a half hour at rest, you can determine that with a beam unit much quicker/clearer than with a clicker unit.

Personal preference for my pocketbook is a beam unit because you can see the torque build up and you know you are almost there.  

A clicker leaves you blind, and ---- was that the click?  mebbe not, a little more and we'll see, nope, a little more .....  nope .....

Very enlightening.  Never knew about the tolerance drift on clickers.  How much does it actually drift?

I have a 1/2" drive beam torque wrench, and a couple of different sizes of clickers.  I haven't used the beam for years.  I think I'll dust it off, wipe it down, and get reacquainted.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/20/11 at 21:03:39

Clicker types retain their accuracy much longer if you do not leave them on a setting & back them off each time before storing. I have an old beam type I use to check accuracy of clickers occasionaly by rechecking recently torqued bolts. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - 10/20/11 at 21:55:54

I just recently bought a Craftsman 3/8" drive beam type with a 0-75ft lb range. For $25 it fit my budget.

Pretty good range for what the Savage would need, eh?
I do agree a smaller range would be nice for things like  the headcover bolts and engine case allen bolts.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #8 - 10/20/11 at 22:34:05

Thanks for clearing up the reliability of the clicker torque wrenches.  I'm always a bit nervous when using mine anyways, since I never tested it after buying it.

I think buying an inch-pound torque wrench is also a good idea.  The crank case bolts are especially easy to shear off, since there's usually oil around the threads.  In this situation, lower torque should be applied.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 10/21/11 at 06:17:33

My brother in law pulled the cylinder hold down bolts right out of the case of his Hodaka Ace 90 years ago.  He told me he was using a torque wrench and was very careful about setting it to the recommended setting, 90 ft-lbs.  I said that sounded a little high.  He showed me the manual.  I'll bet you know what the manual actually said, eh?

Roll Eyes

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/21/11 at 06:44:25

When I was seventeen I worked for a dealer who was just getting started. He had Yamahas & Bonanza mini-bikes. Some of the Bonanza mini- bikes had Hodaka engines & were scary fast. The chopper style one they had was fun to ride wheelies on. One interesting thing, if there was any kind of problems with the Hodaka engines, they just sent us a complete new engine. I borrowed an Ace 90 frame from a friend who had just moved up to a Yamaha 250 dirt bike & built an engine for it from the 'bad' engines. Had a lot of fun until I started beating a kid whos' dad bought a 125 from us, suddenly we had to return all those warranty engines. I quit a couple of months later for a better job (turned 18).

That job paid off when I turned 20 & wanted a RD350. Owner sold me one for $847. List back then was $1299 & they were in such demand he didn't have to discount them at all, couldn't keep them on the floor. Two crates (4 bikes) wouldn't last a month. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 10/21/11 at 16:44:37

I had bought a small clicker type torque wrench (3/8  0-50 I believe) from harbor freight for doing the side cover when I installed the verslavy. As I was torqueing them down, it kept turning and turning and.....snap. Stupid thing never did click, or it was so subtle, I never heard or felt it. Got my $$ back.

Then, when I worked at a Tires Plus, (Bridgestone/Firestone owned) they had a shop rule--every single lug nut got torqued. And checked by a second person. Shop had preset wrenches (different colored) Every now and then, one would just quit working. I wonder to this day if any of them was ever right. (They went through an ungodly amount of cars)

And don't even get me started on torque sticks.........(useless junk)

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/21/11 at 17:22:17

Did you know a lot of the battery drills which have adjustable pressure are torque wrenches.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #13 - 10/21/11 at 17:49:11

I like Fish's idea, partly because I suspect one can reasonably "guestimate" really light torques (go light), partly because whatever I get isn't going to get used all that often. OF? Anybody?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/21/11 at 18:20:02

get your self a fish scale
measure the length of the wrench you need to use from the center of the bolt to where you can pull on it with the fish scale.
take the torque value and divide it by the length of the wrench

25 ft.lbs / (8 inches /12 inches per foot) = 37.5 lbs

90 in.lbs / 6.5 inches = 13.85 lbs

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:26:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Torque Wrench

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!