Send Topic Print
Vacuum Schematic (Read 119 times)
Jimbo215
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vacuum Schematic
10/18/11 at 21:25:46

Hi all. I just did some work on my 97 Savage recently but I can't seem to find out where to put the vac lines. The Clymer manual was no help, as it said the diagram was on the front frame bar, in front of the cylinder, however, I did not find one.

There are 2 lines that I can see, one coming from the petcock and another coming from the right side of the bike, can't tell exactly where but I can take pictures in the morning. If anyone could post schematics or some kind of pictures showing where these go I would be very grateful!  Smiley

EDIT: For the record, I did try several combinations of google searches before posting!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Vacuum Schematic
Reply #1 - 10/18/11 at 21:49:59

Sounds like you got a california bike.

see the link below for 'carb specs'.  

a vac line from the front port on the right side to the petcock

a smaller line runs from the carb to a carbon cannister under the swingarm. then another runs from the carby can to the gas tank.  there's a vent tube on the bottom next to the speedo.  I don't think this one is doc'd anywhere.

WWW   IP Logged
Jimbo215
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/19/11 at 10:56:57

Actually, I'm not sure if I have a CA model, but I do know there are vac lines running from the petcock and from the carb.

I have a new problem, however, as the bike will not start properly. Keeping in mind that I took off the seat, fuel tank and camshaft headcover, it now won't start with much effect. I can get the starter to start, and the engine to turn. It even started up once, it idled, I gave it throttle and it revved andwent back into idle. After about 30 seconds it sputtered and died. Now I cant seem to get it to fire at all. Any tips?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/19/11 at 11:16:49

Did you look up 'carb specs' as requested?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/19/11 at 11:33:47

One vac line...  it goes from right side of carb to back side of petcock...

one fuel line...  it goes from front of petcock to left side of carb...

two matching vent lines... they come off the carb and loop up to the frame... they are open to atmosphere and connect to nothing... the ends must be higher than the carb and not blocked...
like this...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jimbo215
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/19/11 at 14:34:34

Thank you Serow, I see now. And yes, verslagen, I did check the schematics but I couldn't quite understand them enough to figure out where the lines went.

Can you guys help me with another problem. The fuel line will not let fuel flow out. When we took off the fuel tank initially, we had to plug the fuel line to prevent fuel from leaking everywhere. However, we have reassembled it and, regardless of petcock position, no fuel will come out. Needless to say, this is why the bike wont start. I have even tried opening the tank gas cap as a vent but to no avail.

Any theories?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/19/11 at 14:45:52

I'm assuming you got gas?

In the prime position, gas should flow.
pull the lever straight back.

If it don't, somethings wrong   Grin

I'd remove and disassemble.
check the filter screen for clogging.  It can varnish over and limit the amount of gas you're getting.
Next, 4 screws on the back of the petcock and peel the diaphragm off carefully.

Or get yourself a new one, raptor petcocks are a lot cheaper than stock.  But are manual operation.

WWW   IP Logged
Jimbo215
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/19/11 at 16:46:53

Verslagen, thanks for sticking with me.

As per your instructions I took apart the petcock to look at everything and found nothing that looked out of the ordinary. The filter looked clean. I put everything back together and noticed, strangely, that the fuel was flowing from the line now, though not as steadily as I remember when I initially took the tank off.

Anyway, I put everything back together with high hopes. I started the bike with the petcock on reserve and the clutch on full and it sounded fine aftera  few seconds. Revved on the throttle ok, and put it in gear and it rolled forward. However, as soon as I put the clutch in, it started sputtering and died.... now what? Sad

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/19/11 at 16:55:26

Jimbo215 wrote on 10/19/11 at 16:46:53:
I started the bike with the petcock on reserve and the clutch on full and it sounded fine after a  few seconds. Revved on the throttle ok, and put it in gear and it rolled forward. However, as soon as I put the clutch in, it started sputtering and died.... now what? Sad

Put it in prime (lever straight back) and try again.

WWW   IP Logged
Jimbo215
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/19/11 at 16:59:30

WHOOPS! TYPO!

I meant to say I had the petcock set to "ON" not RESERVE.  Roll Eyes

I had it started on prime and it was fine, and I changed it to ON when it was running fine. Still the same problem.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/19/11 at 17:18:55

there's your problem then.
leaky vac hose.