Out with the bad oil (Read 312 times)
jellyroll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Out with the bad oil
10/16/11 at 13:06:15

Guys,
I've been riding an S40 for over a year now and I can't get over how little oil dribbles out of the drain plug. The oil-level window shows that there's a sufficient amount of oil, so I don't think I'm starving the beast.

So here's the question: how can I get all the old oil out so that I can make a complete oil change?

Thanks.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Out with the bad oil
Reply #1 - 10/16/11 at 13:42:09

Best to drain when warm. Tilt bike to right 1st, then to left--off sidestand--hold each position for 30 seconds or so. Tilt as far as you can without dumping the bike over. This gets most of the oil out of the nooks and cranny's. I do mine with the oil filter out. (wipe down right side some when done.) I once poured mine back into empty bottles just to check. Got about 2.25 quarts out. I put 2.5 back in. (mine leaks a little on the bottom from hitting a big rock and bashing a hole in bottom of motor)

« Last Edit: 10/16/11 at 17:34:14 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 10/16/11 at 13:51:02

Please don't take this as an insult but are you sure you are using the drain plug? The oil pours out of mine.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 10/16/11 at 14:05:28

jellyroll wrote on 10/16/11 at 13:06:15:
Guys,
I've been riding an S40 for over a year now and I can't get over how little oil dribbles out of the drain plug. The oil-level window shows that there's a sufficient amount of oil, so I don't think I'm starving the beast.

So here's the question: how can I get all the old oil out so that I can make a complete oil change?

Thanks.

Wanna hear how an anal-retentive motorhead makes sure all the old oil is out?,...

Drain it about half an hour after riding it.  This allows all the oil that will drain off those areas of the motor above the oil sump to drain as much as it can.

Undo the drain plug and let it all drain out like drums said, tilting (and rocking) helps some too.  Have a strong friend(s) handy to help with this.

While you are doing this, heat up a quart of oil that is compatible with the oil you intend to use.   Maybe 100 degrees,.. not real hot.  How you heat it is up to you.

Put the drain plug back in.

Pour the heated quart in.  

Crank the motor over for several seconds, with no spark so the motor won't start.  This sends the clean heated oil into the engine.

Drain that oil out.

Put the drain plug back in, and refill with the proper amount of oil.

Believe it or not, there is a guy with an old Yamaha 650 that does this at every oil change down in Warner Robins, GA.  Not only does he do this, he changes his oil more than he needs to,.. every 3,000 I think.  

Overkill, probably, but I'll bet he has some pretty clean oil after every oil change.

Also I agree with arteacher,.. the oil comes gushing out of the drain plug hole on every bike I have every had, including this LS650.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
jellyroll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/16/11 at 15:05:31

I like the ideas, especially flushing the crankcase.
Clymer says the drain plug is 17mm and is located above the bottom of the crankcase on the right side facing the front of the bike. So, in spite of the good picture, Artteacher, that would not seem to be the one. Is the picture of a savage or an S40? I've read that the Savage drain plug is 14mm and not located in the same place as on the S40.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 10/16/11 at 15:10:37

They did have two sizes, but they are all in the same place.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/16/11 at 16:09:40

Jellyroll,...
That photo is oil drain plug...  It is a 17mm or 14mm plug depending year...
I think you are draining from some other plug...
Note the kickstand spring and locate it from there...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
manitoulinbob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/16/11 at 17:08:58

I have been told to remove the oil fill cap prior to removing the drain plug.  This allows the oil to drain better because it makes an upper "air vent" kind of thing.  Don't know if it makes a difference or not but I do it every time and the oil drains with no problem.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 10/16/11 at 17:25:50

+1 thats the way most people that I know do it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 10/16/11 at 17:41:51

Yes Jellyroll, the drainplug is on the LEFT side of the motor, not the right side. (kickstand side) It wouldn't drain much at all if it was on the right side.
I have an '87 and my drainplug is 17mm.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #10 - 10/16/11 at 17:47:47

Hey, when I drained my rescued bike, the oil gushed out like gasoline -- because it mostly was. So, hell, pour some gas in and shake. Grin

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
jellyroll
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/16/11 at 18:51:57

Thanks everyone! It's a bit dark, but I think I've spotted it. Looks like it's hard to get to up there behind the frame tubing. But I'll try to wrench it off and flush the crankcase tomorrow. I'm sure my bike will thank you too.

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #12 - 10/16/11 at 19:18:56

jellyroll wrote on 10/16/11 at 15:05:31:
Clymer says the drain plug is 17mm and is located above the bottom of the crankcase on the right side facing the front of the bike.

drums1 wrote on 10/16/11 at 17:41:51:
Yes Jellyroll, the drainplug is on the LEFT side of the motor, not the right side. (kickstand side) It wouldn't drain much at all if it was on the right side.
I have an '87 and my drainplug is 17mm.

Jellyroll had it correct in his statement. It's on the right side if you're FACING the bike. Left side when SITTING on it.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #13 - 10/16/11 at 19:31:57

It's customary to use the sitting-on-the-bike orientation.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/16/11 at 19:47:35

Port, left side if sitting on it, starboard, right side/sitting on it,, no more confusion.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:18:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Out with the bad oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.