Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with some questions (Read 195 times)
tdub2112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbie with some questions
10/15/11 at 21:51:48

Hey all. Just joined the forum about five minutes ago and had a couple questions in my quest. I don't have a Savage yet, but we're getting closer.

I've found a guy on craiglist with an 1986 Savage that he needs to get rid of so he can pay for college. he's got a new front tire brakes, air filter, and clutch cable. He claims it's a clean bike, but didn't post pictures. He doesn't respond to emails and since it's 11:00 at night, I'm not going to call him right now.

I was just wondering what classifies high mileage on a Savage? I know Gold Wings will go for 200,000 miles and not even blink, but what do you think you can get out of these little Zuki's?

If this bike is pretty clean and the miles aren't bad, I think we're going to pull the trigger on it. He only wants $1200 for it, so we aren't putting down piles of cash for it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Newbie with some questions
Reply #1 - 10/15/11 at 22:10:42

Honestly,.. I wouldn't pay $1200 unless it was really cherry...
You can get a 95' to 04' for that, and it'll have an extra gear...
5 speed...
If it's less than 25k miles and otherwise clean,.. I'd offer $600 or $800..
Of course,... it depends on where you are, too...
Some places,... countries,.. are higher...

You can trash one of these in 12k miles,... or care for it and go past 100k... it's up to you...
I'm keeping mine... forever...

Whatever you decide,.. good luck... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/15/11 at 22:45:07

Would I pay 1200 for a 86... no.

finish would have to be perfect and low miles (less than 10,000)

Of course I'm not in your locale, nor do I know where you are.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 10/16/11 at 05:29:10

I paid $1200 for a very clean 2002 with 4k miles.  My buddy in the Double RYCA build (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/0#0) traded a 2004 Yamaha 225 dirt bike in average shape for his 2000 with 14k on it.  By "average" I mean a dirt bike used by teenagers for several years in the southeast US.

Like Serow and Vers said, that thing would have to be in showroom shape with just a few thousand miles on it to pay $1200.  In keeping with their guidance, I'd lowball him with an offer of $400, and let him talk you up to $600 or $700.

If you are looking on CL for bikes, you are fairly near a large city.  There will be at least a few LS650/S40 Savages available over the next few months. Unless you have to have a bike this week, I'd be patient, keep checking CL, and also check out Cycle Trader, ebay, area newspapers, etc.

Most of the running gear on these things is pretty good.  The one problem I learned about from this forum is the cam chain tensioner.  Sure enough, my buddy's bike had a slight tick tick tick that mine did not.  
  --- We took the right engine case off, and the cam chain tensioner was within a few thousand miles of maybe coming apart.  
  --- We did the mod outlined by a few of the experts here and all seems well.  We won't know for sure until we finish the RYCA builds and fire it up.  
  --- The gurus here have said the cam chain tensioner should be checked when a tick tick tick shows up and/or around 10k miles.
  --- If you can weld, the whole mod takes an afternoon.  Whether you have a welder or not, Vers has the parts available to do the mod.  His parts are better than the parts we made.

Best of luck to you in your quest.  You'll like this bike.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
tdub2112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/16/11 at 14:51:23

Well. Looking around on some local classifieds, it seems like there are no really good deals on these things. Most people want over two grand for em and I'd have to drive three hours just to drive and look at them.

If we ever get a free Saturday, we might take the drive and see if we can get a good deal, but for now we're going to see if anything in our area pops up for a good deal.

IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #5 - 10/16/11 at 17:20:58

tdub: I'm looking for one also.  Been watching the places listed above.  Weather is staying warm-----prices are way too high!  often exceed the high end of the ranges on KBB or NADA. I may not buy one before late Nov or sometime in Dec.  Hang tough!

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 10/16/11 at 17:49:16

My '87 was purchased from a used bike dealer 13 years ago for $1200.00. It was in great shape at the time. It had 8,900 miles on it. (My niece and her hubby bought it....I inherited it from them 7 years later) I doubt seriously that an '86 would be worth that much now. The $600-$800 range sounds more realistic. I'd keep looking for a better deal if I was you.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 10/16/11 at 18:06:10

Back in Feb when I was looking to buy an LS650 or S40,  I kept having to do the same analysis over and over again: Is this particular bike a good price for its model year?

I was checking on so many options I finally made up a chart to plot all the bikes and prices.  I wanted to know what the Kelly Blue Book prices were (retail and trade-in) and what the NADA values were.  Since I did this several months ago, the prices depicted by the lines might be a tad optimistic.

Here's the chart.  Use it however you want, if you want.  
  --- I wasn't considering anything older than 1999, so that is what is in the lower left hand corner.
  --- If you want to go older than that, you have to sort of guess (extrapolate) or draw some more chart to the lower left.  
  --- Prices are on the left and model year is at the top and bottom.
  --- The three lines on the chart are:
          - NADA Retail (green line and circles)
          - Kelly blue book Retail (dark blue line and squares)
          - Kelly blue book trade-in value (light blue with triangles).

If you want to print out a copy, use

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/42589/1812483-T600450.jpg

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 10/16/11 at 18:30:29

Sounds like way too much money for a 25 yeat old bike...keep looking.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
MERKURMAN
YaBB Newbies

FNG

Fort Hood TX
Reply #9 - 10/16/11 at 19:33:12

I recently bought my 88 with 13k mi on it for 600 bucks.  It isn't perfect by any means but it is mainly cosmetics that it needs.  I think that if it is in good shape then between 600 and 900 bucks would be a fair asking price.  Just remember that there may be some things that need to be done to make it a really dependable bike.  IE cam chain tensioner, head plug,  valve adjustment, maybe tires and brakes.  Just a thought but I would think about your total cost and time to put into it.  I say if you can talk him down to about 700 bucks you would be getting a pretty good deal even if you had to do a few things to it before it were ready to ride.

Its all fun and games till someone gets poked in the eye with a sharp stick!
  IP Logged
jhnzeigler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/16/11 at 19:56:47

I bought an 86 for a ryca build...
Mine has right around 13k on the clock and was in decent shape and mechanically sound and had been taken care of(reason I bought it)

I paid 550 for it...

Keep looking and you will find it...
Chances are if it is being sold by a soon to be college person or a college student...I had been riden hard
Ziggy

IP Logged
tdub2112
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/17/11 at 15:03:19

I'm going to call him up when i get a chance today and have him send me some pics. I hate it when people don't put pictures up on craigslist and put a half a'd description! Are you trying to sell the bike or not? hahaha

I think if this is in descent shape and I can get him down on the price, we'll buy it. If there are a few things wrong with it, I don't mind. It'll make a good winter project for me and the old man.

I dropped some subtle hints about buying a bike last night to my mom to test the waters and it didn't go well. Just wait untill one mysteriously shows up in the garage. . .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/17/11 at 15:05:36

Theres maintenance time comin,, cam chain tensioner is fast approaching,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #13 - 10/17/11 at 20:02:40

I bought my 2000 with 5029 miles for 800 bucks for my ryca build. keep looking.

2000 S40 RYCA conversion built in 2011.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 10/18/11 at 08:05:25

sounds as if he's trying to recoup some of the money he put in it...I'm guessing he spent about 100 bucks on what you described. I'd offer him 700 if it has about 12000 miles on it...
I bought a '96 last year for 500 and it had brand new tires...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with some questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.