Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sportster tank on S40? (Read 368 times)
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sportster tank on S40?
10/15/11 at 15:03:37

Has anyone tried this? I got a dent or 2 in my tank in a hit and run awhile back and am looking for something cheap to replace it. Also something narrower like a peanut tank. Any help would be great.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Sportster tank on S40?
Reply #1 - 10/15/11 at 16:07:23

Whatever tank you use, you'd want it to cover the wiring and stuff, no?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 10/15/11 at 16:28:24

Yep.Did this one a few years ago.Doing another right now.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/15/11 at 16:52:44

omg, im in love.

Next mod to my bike after installing the new bars/hacking the fender, is a high frisco style tank. That is so friggin bad......

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 10/16/11 at 06:46:56

ezornes239 wrote on 10/15/11 at 15:03:37:
Has anyone tried this? I got a dent or 2 in my tank in a hit and run awhile back and am looking for something cheap to replace it. Also something narrower like a peanut tank. Any help would be great.

How bad is the dent in your tank?  Post some pics so we can see,....

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/16/11 at 07:15:59

Gyrobob wrote on 10/16/11 at 06:46:56:

I have another one of similar size on the other side. It's from the control pods hitting the tank. The Ryca clip-ons come really close to the stock sized tank.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 10/16/11 at 10:44:45

ezornes239 wrote on 10/16/11 at 07:15:59:
Gyrobob wrote on 10/16/11 at 06:46:56:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/592/imag0082cx.jpg

I have another one of similar size on the other side. It's from the control pods hitting the tank. The Ryca clip-ons come really close to the stock sized tank.

Those dents might be popped back out with a Ding King or some such.  It has worked for me on simple tank dents like that before.  

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/16/11 at 15:18:20

Quote:
Those dents might be popped back out with a Ding King or some such.  It has worked for me on simple tank dents like that before.

http://www.amazon.com/Dent-Out-Cross-Ding-Repair/dp/B0006FKFMC

Something like this?

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/16/11 at 16:42:49

Don't waste your money. A 'ding king' doesn't have the strength to get out a dent that deep. I have one & it will work for a shallow dent in a relatively flat or slightly rounded surface. The 'puller' part is attached with a hot glue gun & will pull loose fairly easy. You also have to have enough surface for the bridge part to rest on to make the pull.

Some body shops have a stud welder that attaches a stud that a slide hammer will grip that will pull it, but it will require some grinding & filling.

Easier to just find another tank, IMO.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 10/16/11 at 17:15:30

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/16/11 at 16:42:49:
Don't waste your money. A 'ding king' doesn't have the strength to get out a dent that deep. I have one & it will work for a shallow dent in a relatively flat or slightly rounded surface. The 'puller' part is attached with a hot glue gun & will pull loose fairly easy. You also have to have enough surface for the bridge part to rest on to make the pull.

Some body shops have a stud welder that attaches a stud that a slide hammer will grip that will pull it, but it will require some grinding & filling.

Easier to just find another tank, IMO.

Go ahead and waste your money.  Well, you won't be wasting it if it works,... which in my case worked well.  I had a 1983 Suzuki GS850 that had a dent in it from a helmet being dropped on it.  The dent looked like yours, but was a little further back.  

It took several attempts,... maybe 9 or 10.  I tried it a few times with seemingly no effect, but then I wasn't sure, so I tried it again.  Sure enough it seemed to be coming out a little bit at a time.   The dent got a little smaller with each "POP" until there wasn't a dent left at all.  There were a few uneven areas in the paint, though.  No bodywork required however.  It probably took a couple of hours overall to do it.

I don't remember it costing that much though.  My thought process at the time was, "well it's only $20, if it doesn't work, no big deal."  Maybe it was more than $20, maybe not..  Maybe try this URL:
https://www.dingking.tv/index.php?page=Home&SSID=vn3k0rtgoo64l5a5lij2bd12h7

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/16/11 at 21:01:16

Well, there you have it from the forum expert. No need for me to tell you (but I will) I have pulled so many 'dings' with mine on my families'  & customers' vehicles I've had to buy more glue sticks several times now. He did get the price right, though, $20 is what I paid for my original "Ding King".
BTW, if you buy one, be aware some of the copies have a plastic bridge piece that is not as durable as the 'original', which has an aluminum bridge.

I'm sure he has much more experience than I have getting dents out. I only own 4 & 10 ton porta-powers, about 16 body hammers & a drawer full of body dollies. I've raced stock cars for years & beat the dents out of more panels than I could keep count of, & last year beat the right rear quarter panel out on my wifes' totaled car so well the body shop that did the paint work did it for $200 less than their estimate & offered me a job. I also know how to pop small dents with a heat gun & dry ice.

Maybe Bob can just loan you his. I still use mine every couple of months to save someone money over their body shop estimate.

My father had a great definition of expert, since he often had to deal with them, too. Ex = has been & spurt = drip under pressure.  Roll Eyes

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #11 - 10/17/11 at 08:24:44

Thanx for the compliments.USUALLY the rule of thumb is,if it's has a crease a dent wizard type things will not work.That looks creased to me.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/17/11 at 08:43:59

I thing the S40 has a nice looking tank I wouldn't change it for anything.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/17/11 at 09:05:11

Demin wrote on 10/17/11 at 08:24:44:
Thanx for the compliments.USUALLY the rule of thumb is,if it's has a crease a dent wizard type things will not work.That looks creased to me.

Yeah, it's pretty creased and it's at probably the most awkward angle possible... But yeah, for ~$30 I'm willing to try it, if it doesn't work, so be it.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 10/17/11 at 09:21:41

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/16/11 at 21:01:16:
Well, there you have it from the forum expert. No need for me to tell you (but I will) I have pulled so many 'dings' with mine on my families'  & customers' vehicles I've had to buy more glue sticks several times now. He did get the price right, though, $20 is what I paid for my original "Ding King".
BTW, if you buy one, be aware some of the copies have a plastic bridge piece that is not as durable as the 'original', which has an aluminum bridge.

I'm sure he has much more experience than I have getting dents out. I only own 4 & 10 ton porta-powers, about 16 body hammers & a drawer full of body dollies. I've raced stock cars for years & beat the dents out of more panels than I could keep count of, & last year beat the right rear quarter panel out on my wifes' totaled car so well the body shop that did the paint work did it for $200 less than their estimate & offered me a job. I also know how to pop small dents with a heat gun & dry ice.

Maybe Bob can just loan you his. I still use mine every couple of months to save someone money over their body shop estimate.

My father had a great definition of expert, since he often had to deal with them, too. Ex = has been & spurt = drip under pressure.  Roll Eyes

Clever.  Let me point out that YOU labeled me an expert, not I.  I decline the label.  Here's another thought,... if one is to label folks as experts, would he not have to be an expert?   Wink

Yeah, I have a lot of expertise in removing dents.  I dropped a GBU-12 through the windshield of a dented-up bus on one of the ranges at Eglin AFB.  All the dents in that bus were removed.  

To make this response thread-relevant,.. the dingking works often.  Sometimes not.  I used it to remove dents from a motorcycle tank and the front fender of a car hit by a semi's "alligator."  It worked really well on the tank, and fairly well on the fender.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:33:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster tank on S40?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.