thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: inverter
Reply #15 - 10/17/11 at 05:28:19

i have a amp and speakers  draws 3 amps = 36 watts,with engine off cant listen to music for more than a coulpe mins till battery drains..

have a 12v power outlet(cig lighter type) that i can recharge my mp3

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/17/11 at 06:32:41

Thumper, that's a very weak battery! With 14Ah capacity (beware: theory!), you should be able to pull 14 Amps for 1 Hour, or 3 Amps for around 4.5 hours. And then it's shot. Realistically about half of that time. Are you sure in those few minutes?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #17 - 10/17/11 at 06:56:54

havent tried in a few years..
it happened on the oem battery when it was less than a year old..
have up graded batt since..
was hunder miles from home and we jumped her off
the electrics didnt like the turn signal with a low battery the engine lurched with the pulse of the flasher..

also the amp draws power if on and not playing music phantom load in there somewhere..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #18 - 10/17/11 at 12:08:48

80A through the "high quality" system on our little girls... can you say slag?

IP Logged
hot64
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/18/11 at 13:34:13

OK-Here's the drift so far; they say the plates in a MC battery are to thin to hold a sufficient charge for an inverter of 400watts---so plan B is to use golf cart batteries hooked up to a solar charger. I found a way to build a portable solar charger on instructables.com. I also ran into a bro who uses 2 batteries in his ural. He runs his cpap machine off one of them at nite. There's a site that gives all the formulas---I think I typed in how to hook up an inverter to a mc battery. Holy Moly this is getting complicated. My backpack rack works great though. Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 10/18/11 at 14:19:53

Gyrobob wrote on 10/16/11 at 06:20:14:
If you must watch TV, just use your Droid.

Seriously, a 400 watt inverter on this bike is too big.  
 -- These things have an efficiency of something like 80% or so.  
 -- A 400w inverter will surge momentarily to around 800w when a load is hooked up.  
 -- 800w with an efficiency of 80% equates to 1000 watts.
 -- 1000 watts at 12 volts is over 80 amps.  Ask the gurus here what an 80 amp load, even a temporary load, will do the charging system on a Savage.
 -- At a steady 400w output, that would be a steady 40 amp load at 12v.  (way too much for a Savage charging system)

Use the 400w inverter in your car.  Forget about it for the bike.  If you really need 110v on the bike, use a tiny inverter or bring a loooooooooooong extension cord.

Pretty good statement of the facts Gyr, but I think you miss one point...
TV watching and beer sippin' is while the bike is off.  The inverter will drain a second battery.  

So the real question is how long to recharge a dead battery to full?

Most people will say m/c's aren't good at recharging a dead battery.  Being that this is a 'backup' battery, can't tell you for shure.  But I would take a couple precautions.  You want a battery isolator, kind that rv's use.  Be sure that it's isolated while you start up or you'll have 2 dead batteries.  Initially, you want to monitor voltage and current while charging the backup battery.  See if there's a charge regulator for 12v to 12v charging.

The most you'll want to hook up to this is a 200 watt load.  It maybe rated for it, but nothing lasts long at peak rating.  So the big screen tv you were going to put on the back of your savage is out.  One of those battery operated DVD players is in.  Hmmm... don't those have 12v adapters already?  Same thing with the laptop.  I think I'm back to the concensis... ditch the inverter.  Hell, ditch the tv too.  Laptops will play dvd's.  want tv channels, get tv converter for it.  Less wt. more go.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:35:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › inverter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.