Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is there a problem with my petcock? (Read 144 times)
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Is there a problem with my petcock?
10/10/11 at 07:35:40

I have an issue that seems to happen once a week.  I'll fire up the bike and it seems to be running fine, let it idle a bit to warm up, hop on the bike and take off.  Get to the turn at the end my street, let off the throttle, it starts to stutter and dies.  Throw it in neutral, hit the starter, crank hard on the throttle and it fires back up again.  

It will continue this pattern for a while, and if I crank hard on the throttle when it starts to sputter it will chug for a second then fire back up.  

Turn around, head back home.  Check fuel level, plenty of gas.  (originally thought it might be due to low gas and fuel shifting off of the fuel pickup during braking)  Check oil level, plenty of oil.  (I thought that maybe engine was trying to seize due to low oil)

Fire it up again and turn the throttle till its at a high idle so it doesn't die, hold it there for a few minutes.  Get out on the road again, no more issues.

This will happen maybe once a week. I have noticed that after filling up the tank, I will get a slight leak around the gas cap (gas level is high enough to slosh up to the cap during breaking or due to vibration).  Could it be a vacuum issue due to a bad seal on the gas cap?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Is there a problem with my petcock?
Reply #1 - 10/10/11 at 07:41:50

2002 right?
time for a new vac line.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 10/10/11 at 09:19:41

verslagen1 wrote on 10/10/11 at 07:41:50:
2002 right?
time for a new vac line.

Agreed, but if it runs good at high speed, it is doubtful that will fix the problem.
Try it on "prime" see if anything changes.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/10/11 at 09:42:51

Is there a problem with my petcock?

The short answer is yes.   And it will not go away (other than temporarily) once you start replacing vac lines, etc.   Your petcock issue is here to stay, sporadically getting worse then better as you start replacing all the various rubber bits and pieces surrounding the slowly failing vac petcock.

I have a 2002 bike that went through the same stuff you are going through.  You will shortly note that it seems like you are out of gas, but you can't put two gallons into the tank when you hit the gas station.  (false reserve signals)

You'll hit the wall the first time it leaves you stopped in traffic -- this will be your total "Hey, my arse was in danger" wake up call.   Then you will go DO something effective about it.

Read up about it here ....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 10/10/11 at 12:01:56

Ok, ever since I've sealed my gas cap leak, at high speeds (65mph) I have the "out of gas" problem.. first 2 times I had to pull over and breath the gas tank, then I started flipping the pet thingy switch around while doing roughly 65mph.. does anyone think I should go ahead and throw in the Raptor 660 pet thingy or get a new vacuum hose?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 10/10/11 at 12:13:14

The majority of votes would most likely have you replacing the evil vacuum petcock with a Raptor. Has there ever been a poll?

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 10/10/11 at 12:20:12

How come I can't play with my thingy but I can play with my petcock?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 10/10/11 at 12:24:28

HAR HAR SNICKER CHORTLE !!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/10/11 at 12:35:31

Built2Last wrote on 10/10/11 at 12:01:56:
Ok, ever since I've sealed my gas cap leak, at high speeds (65mph) I have the "out of gas" problem.. first 2 times I had to pull over and breath the gas tank, then I started flipping the pet thingy switch around while doing roughly 65mph.. does anyone think I should go ahead and throw in the Raptor 660 pet thingy or get a new vacuum hose?

If it's just since you sealed your gas cap,... it's your cap vent...
Before you sealed it, it was getting air through the seal,.. now, it's trying to suck through a clogged cap vent...

You need to disassemble the cap and clean... or try just spraying the crap out of the cap with carb cleaner...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 10/10/11 at 12:57:50

Ya know,.....you'd think that a person could come here and ask a question and get a civilized answer,....especially from a moderator !

What a bunch a BS !

Wink   Your moderator agrees with you completely on the BS portion, this is HOOTY's thread and HOOTY's question, and the rest of you jokers are technically hijacking the man's question with your joking around

« Last Edit: 10/10/11 at 19:24:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #10 - 10/10/11 at 13:27:26

It is not dirty.

Ok so it might be, I'll check later, I'm about to go and mess up the carb... but I want a Raptor 660 pet c0ck anyway...

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #11 - 10/10/11 at 14:06:45

Quote:
If it's just since you sealed your gas cap,... it's your cap vent...
Before you sealed it, it was getting air through the seal,.. now, it's trying to suck through a clogged cap vent...

You need to disassemble the cap and clean... or try just spraying the crap out of the cap with carb cleaner...

Ok, so the air flow is supposed to come through the key hole or where? Am I gonna have gas squirting up through the key hole once it's clean? Maybe I should just keep it dirty and get a Raptor 660 petthingy...

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 10/10/11 at 20:03:19

Verslagen gave you a good answer. It is easy and cheap to replace the vacuum line. And if it doesn't have clamps on it, get some. The OE petcock will not function without proper vacuum. It does not always malfunction at high speeds, but sometimes in cooler temps, and often when rolling off the throttle. Drag racing launces and running through the gears up to speeds over 70 made mine mess up. Do the easy, cheap things first. jmo

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/12/11 at 06:46:10

It's ok, thread jacking keeps my posts from getting too boring  Grin

I may go ahead and add a raptor petcock to the list of items to be replaced/repaired on the bike this winter.  I can't afford cold weather gear right now so no riding this winter.  Not afraid of the cold, but arthritis makes it a bit hard to control a bike. Embarrassed  

Oh well, it gives me a chance to perform much needed maintenance that the PO appears to have neglected for a few years.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #14 - 10/12/11 at 06:57:00

The Raptor Petthingy is like $20, and swaps out in like 5 minutes.

If you're not gonna ride during the winter and do some wrenching might as well check your cam chain tension-er and maybe throw on the Verslavvy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:30:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is there a problem with my petcock?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.