Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Placebo Effect...
10/09/11 at 10:33:33

An article from Main St. pointed out 5 common things that people think work, that usually don't...
1. "Close door" buttons in elevators...
2. HDTV's with standard programming...
3. Walk signal buttons...
4. Butt toner shoes...
5. Office thermostats...

Here's a few bike related things that have, at least some element of placebo effect...
1. Premium gas...
2. fuel additives..
3. open pipes...
4. fork bracing...
5. belt centering alignment...
6. "special" spark plugs...
7. bigger jets...

Agree?,.. Disagree?...
any others?...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Placebo Effect...
Reply #1 - 10/09/11 at 10:36:57

voting

NOt because voting in & of itself is futile, but until now we havent had anyone with any measurable degree of difference, IOW, regardless of party affiliation, its been a steady continuation of policy,,

However,,
electing Ron Paulo would make voting a worthwhile venture again.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 10/09/11 at 10:56:39

Serowbot wrote on 10/09/11 at 10:33:33:
An article from Main St. pointed out 5 common things that people think work, that usually don't...
1. "Close door" buttons in elevators...
2. HDTV's with standard programming...
3. Walk signal buttons...
4. Butt toner shoes...
5. Office thermostats...

Here's a few bike related things that have, at least some element of placebo effect...
1. Premium gas...
2. fuel additives..
3. open pipes...
4. fork bracing...
5. belt centering alignment...
7. bigger jets...

Excellent concept.

I agree with your motorcycle-oriented items, since you did qualify the situation by saying, "at least some ... placebo effect."

I'd add K&N filters and schmagnets to the list.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 10/09/11 at 11:25:02

Serowbot wrote on 10/09/11 at 10:33:33:

I dunno.. those iridium plugs do do something.  One bike had a noticeable hiccup (like ignition cutting out for a tenth second) and the gurus recommended an iridium plug, because it cured the same problem on their bikes..  I was skeptical but forked over the 10 bucks anyway.  The iridium plug greatly reduced the hiccuping.  

I use iridium plugs in my DR (yes, 2 plugs).  I figure they deliver a good hot spark with slightly better reliability than conventional plugs. Much like the schmagnets, I know there is some benefit that I can't quantify.  But even if the benefit is low... meh, so was the cost.  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/09/11 at 11:46:22

more or less you have to define the symptoms in order to define the placebo.

1. Premium gas... in a high compression engine is necessary.  or in our engines and you're out in the boondocks where reg. gas is aged.
2. fuel additives.. seafoam in a bike that's been sitting for 20 yrs won't do any good, but may free a sticky slide.
3. open pipes... for what reason? loud or performance?
4. fork bracing... on smooth roads vs. rain grooves... depends on locale
5. belt centering alignment... vs. waxing?  I think you got it reversed here.  You wax cause you can't get rid of the chirp by adjustment.
6. "special" spark plugs... yes, any new plug will make a difference, the question is for how long?
7. bigger jets... should be rejetting, the question is are you rejetting cause everyone else did or is your bike running crappy?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/09/11 at 12:23:55

I said "bigger jets" purposely,... meaning that correct jetting will make your bike run best,... not just bigger jets = more power...

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 10/09/11 at 12:27:21

Wonder how many have put in larger jets trying to correct a problem caused by less than full fuel flow from the vacuum petcock?

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 10/09/11 at 13:43:37

Heh heh. you guys are practically begging Routy to come in here and say any good effects of a manual petcock are just placebo effect.

There are many good mods, like the fork brace, that definitely have some good effect, but the perceived benefits get magnified by the placebo effect.  Few things that people advocate are 100% placebo effect.

Pardon the un-tabled political example.. but here in Austin there are many bumper stickers that have the glorified Obama image.. you know, colorized like an Andy Warhol piece.. and below that is a banner that says "YES, WE DID."  These guys never heard of the electoral college, or by some convoluted reasoning think that Texas votes somehow helped to get Obama elected.  That my friends, is a pure example of the placebo effect.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/09/11 at 13:56:39

I used to try to catch up to people who had Bush/Cheney stickers,, so I could see what an idiot looked like.. Id do the same if I ever saw a Bammy sticker,, I just dont see them,, I guess they got scraped off already..

political stickers otta be velcro,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/09/11 at 14:19:04

To some extent,... I might add forward controls,.. or the perceived need for more legroom...
... when you consider,... no one ever complained about legroom when "standard" bikes were the standard...

People basically just like the feet forward position,... mostly fashion...

I know that will stir some souls... Huh...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 10/09/11 at 14:59:21

If you go to manual petcock,Always carry a a cup of flour with you to put out the fire,if you drop the bike over.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 10/09/11 at 15:02:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/09/11 at 13:56:39:
I used to try to catch up to people who had Bush/Cheney stickers,, so I could see what an idiot looked like.. Id do the same if I ever saw a Bammy sticker,, I just dont see them,, I guess they got scraped off already..

political stickers otta be velcro,,

I have a new sticker on my car it says  Nein Nein Nein

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/09/11 at 15:27:22

I think thatys a great idea///

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

Re: YOU MUST BE THIS TALL TO SIT At THIS TABLE
Reply #3226 - 10/05/11 at 23:34:29 Alert Board Moderator about this Post! Quote Modify Remove
nein , nein, nein..

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 10/09/11 at 19:16:18

My t-cat fork brace was NOT a placebo effect - the minute I put it on I could tell the difference.

I ride a lot of back roads with tar strips and bumps - a stiffer fork brace made a noticable difference; better handling and not so 'wobbly'.

As for the seafoam; i figure it cant hurt to drop some in my fuel tank since my riding time has gone down due to medical issues. If it helps fine, if not, no great loss.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 10/10/11 at 05:48:28

skatnbnc wrote on 10/09/11 at 19:16:18:
My t-cat fork brace was NOT a placebo effect - the minute I put it on I could tell the difference.

I ride a lot of back roads with tar strips and bumps - a stiffer fork brace made a noticable difference; better handling and not so 'wobbly'.

As for the seafoam; i figure it cant hurt to drop some in my fuel tank since my riding time has gone down due to medical issues. If it helps fine, if not, no great loss.

Look at the way he qualified his statement.  He said, "at least SOME placebo effect."  He did not say all the items on the list were worthless.

As for the seafoam;...my riding time has gone down due to medical issues. Try less seafoam, maybe you won't have so many medical issues.

If it helps fine, if not, no great loss. This is exactly what he meant by saying  "at least SOME placebo effect."

Minor issue: Tkat not t-cat
Roll Eyes

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 04:19:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › Placebo Effect...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.