Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #390 - 11/22/11 at 10:14:00

Sounds like a deal. Truce?

Cheesy

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #391 - 11/22/11 at 13:09:47

drums1 wrote on 11/22/11 at 10:14:00:

Cheesy

Bueno!,.. compadre

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #392 - 11/22/11 at 14:06:09

Gyrobob wrote on 11/22/11 at 09:57:09:
drums1 wrote on 11/22/11 at 09:17:59:
Holy sh!t, Bill, $10 a small bag? Shoot, I think I'll just buy some Chips Ahoy and call it a day.

Yes, at Walmart and the major stores it is expensive.  Way more than flour.  I'm researching cheaper sources.  Bob of Bob's Red Mill must be doing better than okay!

He would be except for the kickbacks he is paying the author of "wheat belly". Grin Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #393 - 11/22/11 at 14:30:08

arteacher wrote on 11/22/11 at 14:06:09:
Gyrobob wrote on 11/22/11 at 09:57:09:
drums1 wrote on 11/22/11 at 09:17:59:
Holy sh!t, Bill, $10 a small bag? Shoot, I think I'll just buy some Chips Ahoy and call it a day.

Yes, at Walmart and the major stores it is expensive.  Way more than flour.  I'm researching cheaper sources.  Bob of Bob's Red Mill must be doing better than okay!

He would be except for the kickbacks he is paying the author of "wheat belly". Grin Grin

Clever!!  Cute!!  Loaded with whimsy!!

I'd imagine Dr Davis is doing pretty well too,... the bookstores can't keep it in stock, and they are having to print some more books as well as getting it translated into other languages.  I'll bet he didn't think it would do THIS well.

While no one can ever be sure about the kickbacks, Dr Davis does recommend to the folks on his FB page and his blog that they invest in a food processor or coffee grinder or something to make their own nut-based substitutes for flour.  
 -- Apparently the hard part is getting the basic material ground down enough to act like flour without turning it into nut butter.  
    --- Almonds, supposedly, are fairly easy to do and they are pretty cheap, especially compared to Bob's Red Mill almond meal.  
    --- Walnuts are more oily though, so they tend to get gooey as they are ground up. Some folks grind em up some, spread the chunks out on a cookie sheet, bake for a while to roast them and dry them, then continue grinding them into flour.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #394 - 11/22/11 at 15:53:58

Gyrobob wrote on 11/22/11 at 13:09:47:
drums1 wrote on 11/22/11 at 10:14:00:

Cheesy

Bueno!,.. compadre

Two farts in a windstorm...

... did I spell that right?.... Huh....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #395 - 11/22/11 at 16:06:31

Yep    that

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #396 - 11/23/11 at 00:57:57

Check out Bulkfoods.com. They carry an assortment of items. I imagine that buckwheat is ok because it isn't actually wheat, a berry I believe. How does the book rate Quinoa, Millet, Oats, Barley, Amaranth etc etc?

There are many bulk suppliers online...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #397 - 11/23/11 at 05:58:28

SuperSavage wrote on 11/23/11 at 00:57:57:
Check out Bulkfoods.com. They carry an assortment of items. I imagine that buckwheat is ok because it isn't actually wheat, a berry I believe. How does the book rate Quinoa, Millet, Oats, Barley, Amaranth etc etc?

There are many bulk suppliers online...

I called bulkfoods.  They do have lots and lots of stuff, but no ground almonds or ground walnuts or ground any-kinda nuts.  So,.. I guess we could buy a ton of the nuts, and buy a grinder, and make our own flour/meal.  An interesting source!

The other flour-substitutes you mentioned only have a small advantage over wheat in that they all are high-carb items that would result in a blood-sugar spike.  Yes, they are better than wheat, but only because today's wheat is so damaging.  

In the book, and in all the research I've been doing, the only flour substitutes suitable for baking are some sort of ground up (pulverized) nuts.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #398 - 11/23/11 at 06:34:45

Hello Gyrobob, for starters I'm glad you and Drums have declared a truce.

With the two of you getting into an epistular quarrel, what would be other Forum members gain... a dizzy bongo?  Cheesy

OK, back to business...

Flour made from almonds is NOT flour, it is ground almonds.

Please verify the nutritional value of wheat flour and almonds (by 100g, by the oz., whatever) and you will see you CANNOT use nuts for grains, anymore you can substitute a baked potato with a baked apple...

When I made my comment on "apple vs. bio-grown seedless no-skin fruit replacement etc." I was making a little fun of a dangerous fad which is taking on in the US (and Northern Europe), that of seeking out replacement ingredients nuder the assumption they "must certainly be better".

An example is a "Expert Dietician's" suggestion I read in a magazine ni the hotel during my last stay in the US:
"Cut down on fats! Replace your salad oil with a dash of spray cooking oil on your salad, you'll get a lot fewer fats and your salad will taste great!"
Tongue U G H !!!   Lips Sealed

For starters, I am sorry most bottled salad dressings have that staple ingredient, XANTHAM GUM, to make it gooey and slow to pour...
Huh Salad dressing thick as glue ?  Undecided

I will use this as an example http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wishbone-Italian-Robusto-Salad-Dressing-16-fl-oz/10...

OK, never mind that no Italian worth his moustache would ever EVER use soybean oil anywhere but in his diesel tractor... Wink
But why the need for... xantham gum, high fructose corn syrup and... water ? and then add GUM to make it thicker?
Roll Eyes
What's wrong with olive oil and wine vinegar?  Undecided

Taste a little olive oil, pure, just a teaspoon, it'll taste like... olives.
Now taste soybean oil, or rapeseed oil, or...spray cooking spray in your mouth  Lips Sealed
What do they taste like ? Any taste at all? Or just an oily, messy sensation? Mouthwash, anyone?

This is not to make fun of anybody or anything, it's about traditions, customs and habits, which in one word can be summarized as "local culture".

Mind you, nobody can say "I have more culture than you", it's like two desert stragglers quarreling on who gets more sunlight... Wink

So when I said "Dr.Davis' culinary habits may be limited in variety" I meant exactly that.
I have not read "Wheat Belly" because it is not marketed in Italy (never mind the translation...) but I am not sure it would be well accepted.
It would be like telling you all "beef is bad, eat lamb" on whatever grounds...

To sustani that the human digestive system is not geared for grains and wheats is... arguable.
In school we are taught that Man is an omnivore, not a carnivore, not a herbivore, but an omnivore. Hence, McDonal;ds have made zillions of dollars putting dr.Davis' favorite beef patty in a wheat bun.
Roll Eyes
Well, the Ancient Greeks, Romans, and before them the Ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Chinese have been eating starches (wheat, rice, whatever) and sustaining their populations off grains.
There is no way any civilization could have sustained a population of millions on a meat-rich diet.
The Aztecs and Mayas had such a system and soccumbed to famine.
The Incas developed farming and ... survive to this day, albeit as the underproletariat of "hispanic" populations in S.America's Pacific Coast.

The "Food Pyramid" was not thought up after an evening drinking beer and throwing darts in a London Pub... or Boston for that matter.

The Food Pyramid is about a sustainable diet in a generic nation with a minimum of 5% population dedicated to agriculture (which includes raising livestock) and concentrates on a diet which is balanced ni minerals, salt, has reasonably low cholesterol and favors fresh fruit or a home-made sandwich to a packaged snack.

I had promised many of you my home-made recipes, and some even wrote or PM'd and reminded me "please".

I'm sorry I never got back to you, It's been a horrendous last few months.

As they say in Wales, "I'll do it when I get a Round Tuit"

Shocked

Cheesy

OK, now that I've got my Round Tuit I'll get cracking on a few dishes  Smiley

Entertain yourselves with some solid British humoUr in the meantime  Wink

PS Any news from Sir Nick Rowe ?  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #399 - 11/23/11 at 07:19:35

"Flour made from almonds is NOT flour, it is ground almonds."  Exactly!  This is what we want.  Using ground-up nuts as a substitute for flour enables us to avoid all the harmful effects of wheat and other harmful grains, and yet enjoy our baked goods like the chocolate chip cookies I made a few nights ago.  We are not genetically engineeried to eat grains.

"....you CANNOT use nuts for grains, anymore you can substitute a baked potato with a baked apple..."  Yes you can, and you should.  This way you don't have to subject your body to grains.  I would never substitute a baked potato for a baked apple.  I wouldn't eat more than a little of either one anyway, since both give quite a blood sugar spike.

"Cut down on fats! Replace your salad oil with a dash of spray cooking oil on your salad, you'll get a lot fewer fats and your salad will taste great!" U G H !!! "   I agree!!!  Sounds really yucky, and would get a negative comment or two from Dr. Davis.

"What's wrong with olive oil and wine vinegar?"    Nothing.  Sounds fine to me, and I would guess, to Dr. Davis.

"Now taste soybean oil, or rapeseed oil, or...spray cooking spray in your mouth. What do they taste like ? Any taste at all? Or just an oily, messy sensation? Mouthwash, anyone?" Agree completely, and these oils are all strongly disapproved of in the book.

"To sustani that the human digestive system is not geared for grains and wheats is... arguable."  Not at all.  It is simple evolutionary science.  
 -- It takes hundreds of thousands of years to change our genetic makeup.  The 10,000 years since agriculture (and wheat) appeared is but a moment in the evolutionary context.  We are not designed to eat wheat.  That's not an opinion.  
 -- Yes, we are omnivores,... omnivores not optimized for consumption of wheat.  We are designed to eat meat/fish/fowl, leafy green stuff, nuts, and some fruits.  Not grains.  Grains did not show up until yesterday, genetically speaking.  When grains became common is when arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, etc., also became common.  
 -- A coincidence?  I think not.

"Well, the Ancient Greeks, Romans, and before them the Ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Chinese have been eating starches (wheat, rice, whatever) and sustaining their populations off grains."  To their detriment. They survived in spite of agriculture, not because of it.

"The "Food Pyramid" was not thought up after an evening drinking beer and throwing darts in a London Pub... or Boston for that matter."  True.  They had much less altruistic goals in mind.

"The Food Pyramid is about a sustainable diet in a generic nation with a minimum of 5% population dedicated to agriculture (which includes raising livestock) and concentrates on a diet which is balanced ni minerals, salt, has reasonably low cholesterol and favors fresh fruit or a home-made sandwich to a packaged snack."  Yes, a very faulty combination of "food."

Many of your comments would not have been made had you read the book; you make a few points as a countering argument when the point is actually in agreement.  I don't think you understand enough about the basic concept of the book to realistically counter the arguments you want to counter. You are obviously a very smart fellow.  Your contributions would be much more to the point if you better understood the harmful effects of wheat.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #400 - 11/23/11 at 08:33:16

Quote:
We are not genetically engineeried to eat grains.

Right,... because we're not genetically engineered at all...

.. a couple of conflicting points from Doc WB...
The wheat we eat today, is not the wheat as the wheat that existed 50 or 100 years ago...
.. yet, the grains that were eaten 5 or 10k years ago caused people to be sick and be less healthy or long lived than paleo men...
.. but,.. in Russia, remnants of wheat and other grains have been found on grinding stones at paleo sites dating 30 to 50 k years ago... Paleo man ate grains...
.. Paleo diets were different in different parts of the world... there is no "Paleo diet",... there is simply, the foods available in the region...
.. the average lifespan of a Paleo man was likely around 30 years... yet, fossilized bones have shown arthritis... the idea that Paleo man didn't have diabetes, or colon cancer, or tinnitus, or migraines, is BS,.. how would we know?... fossilized MRI scans and BP monitors?... We're looking at bones here,.. fossilized bones...
We don't know,.. and the great DR don't either... BS!...

Right up there with creationist science...
There are "scientific studies" that prove the world only 5,000 years old, and we lived with dinosaurs, too...
I wouldn't bet my life, or health on them...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #401 - 11/23/11 at 08:46:48

Dinosaurs died out because they didn't eat wheat,Man found out to survive they had to eat wheat,so here we are today. Palms 11 chapter 6.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #402 - 11/23/11 at 09:53:46

... the average lifespan of a Paleo man was likely around 30 years...

I must insist, the AVERAGE lifespan was 30...

Meaning that for every baby that would die before the age of 12 months, a nother would live to see 60...

Let's not mistake a statistic with a rule... Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #403 - 11/23/11 at 09:58:48

mpescatori wrote on 11/23/11 at 09:53:46:

Meaning that for every baby that would die before the age of 12 months, a nother would live to see 60...

I sure enjoy seeing someone else see how that works.. Can you even guess what the infant mortality was? Ill bet it wasnt good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #404 - 11/23/11 at 10:06:53

mpescatori wrote on 11/23/11 at 09:53:46:

Perhaps I should have said,... the average adult, bone fossils that are found seem to be about 30...
This type of evidence is not skewed by statistical averaging... or infant mortality...
I've never heard of a 60 or 70 year old Paleo,.. they just didn't live that long...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:41:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.