Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Back end feels loose at high speeds (Read 555 times)
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Back end feels loose at high speeds
10/07/11 at 07:05:36

I recently bought a new to me 2002 savage.  This is my first bike and the majority of my riding over the past month has been at speeds less than 50mph.  So the issue may just be my inexperience.

I have gone on a few highway runs the past couple of weeks.  When I get to around 60-65mph the back end starts to feel kind of loose.  

I checked and corrected my tire pressure (it was 25psi, the current tires require 40) and it's not nearly as bad as it was.  However it still feels a bit loose at highway speeds.

Is it just my inexperience with highway riding, or is there something else I should check?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Back end feels loose at high speeds
Reply #1 - 10/07/11 at 07:08:38

spokes
tyre balance
alignment
bearings
loose nuts
loose shocks

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #2 - 10/07/11 at 07:48:49

Hooty wrote on 10/07/11 at 07:05:36:
I recently bought a new to me 2002 savage.  This is my first bike and the majority of my riding over the past month has been at speeds less than 50mph.  So the issue may just be my inexperience.

I have gone on a few highway runs the past couple of weeks.  When I get to around 60-65mph the back end starts to feel kind of loose.  

I checked and corrected my tire pressure (it was 25psi, the current tires require 40) and it's not nearly as bad as it was.  However it still feels a bit loose at highway speeds.

Is it just my inexperience with highway riding, or is there something else I should check?

How many miles are on the bike?
If this is your first bike, and you don't have much experience with checking torques, etc. then it couldn't hurt to get a friend who might know more to help, or take it into a shop and have them check it all out for you. They would be able to take it for a ride and tell you if something might not be right. These bikes do tend rock and rattle to some extent, but not to the extent where an experienced rider would feel uncomfortable on it.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - 10/07/11 at 08:08:05

What do you mean by "loose?"

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/07/11 at 08:12:35

Mattdw wrote on 10/07/11 at 07:48:49:
How many miles are on the bike?
If this is your first bike, and you don't have much experience with checking torques, etc. then it couldn't hurt to get a friend who might know more to help, or take it into a shop and have them check it all out for you. They would be able to take it for a ride and tell you if something might not be right. These bikes do tend rock and rattle to some extent, but not to the extent where an experienced rider would feel uncomfortable on it.

5300 miles when I got it, 6200 miles now.  I went over all the bolts I could get to when I got it with a wrench to make sure nothing felt loose.  Guess I should go over it again now.  

My friend who drove it up here from Tallahassee after I bought it said he didn't remember it feeling loose.  We took back roads up here after I bought it with 45-55mph speed limits.  He is going to take it out on the highway this weekend if he has time and see if it's jut me being a chicken  Grin

The closest shop that will work on a Suzuki is back down in Tallahassee.  I would have to get someone to follow me down there so I could drop it off (it's an hour drive).  This will be a last resort, but if it has to be done I'll do it.  I have a few trips planned out for next summer and I want the bike to be safe.

Ok possibly a dumb question:  Could it have anything to do with my saddlebags?  The bike came with saddlebags but no supports for them.  Could they be flapping in the wind making my bike unstable?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/07/11 at 08:15:03

Lift the rear off the ground and check for "looseness"
When you find it... take a pair of pliers and pull it out... throw it away   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/07/11 at 08:24:32

MotoBuddha wrote on 10/07/11 at 08:08:05:
What do you mean by "loose?"

Having a hard time putting it into words.  Bike feels rock solid up to 50-55mph, but when I get on the highway it feels like if I shifted my weight the back end might come out from under me.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 10/07/11 at 08:24:40

How's the tread on the rear tire?  What brand is it?  I noticed a considerable difference (improvement) when I had the OEM tire changed out with a new Dunlop.      

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Hooty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/07/11 at 08:39:37

babyhog wrote on 10/07/11 at 08:24:40:
How's the tread on the rear tire?  What brand is it?  I noticed a considerable difference (improvement) when I had the OEM tire changed out with a new Dunlop.      

Tires were brand new aftermarkets. Not sure of the brand.  Chicken strips weren't even worn down yet.  I've been working on that  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/07/11 at 08:40:05

Take the bags off & see,,

No way should you take it to a shop,, especially one so far away..

Tire condition, road surface condition,. gotta know about that to say much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 10/07/11 at 08:49:12

Its really not a very stable motorcycle it doesn't take to speed very well.Thats why you see a lot of them with low mileage.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/07/11 at 10:07:19

There are bikes that feel like they're just strolling at 80 or 90mph...
If you ever go down at that speed,... the illusion is broken...

I like a bike that lets me know up front,.. how very fast the road surface is passing by beneath me...
It's a constant reminder of how unnatural this speed is to a human body...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 10/07/11 at 10:47:47

True, Rowboat,, I Like the fact that this bike starts wallowing around at 55 mph in a long sweeper,, keeps me from running in any faster. If I had a bike that handled too well,, Id likely get into a turn too fast for my skill level. This one keeps me scootin at lower speeds, cuz it starts feeling spooky at too high speeds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 10/07/11 at 13:01:37

..... I checked and corrected my tire pressure (it was 25psi, the current tires require 40) and it's not nearly as bad as it was......

What do you mean when you say, "the current tires require 40"

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #14 - 10/07/11 at 14:53:10

The tire manufacturers recommended tire pressure is stamped in the side of tire.
The motorcycle manufacturers recommended tire pressure is printed in the manual.
It's best to go by the motorcycle manufacturers recommendation. They built the bike to handle the best at that pressure. You may have them overinflated, and that in itself will make the bike feel a little squirrely at higher speeds.
I run mine at 32 psi front, and 34 psi rear.
(23 years tire and auto repair experience)

« Last Edit: 10/08/11 at 21:07:58 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:51:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Back end feels loose at high speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.