Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A lesson in valve mechanics (Read 163 times)
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
A lesson in valve mechanics
10/03/11 at 10:16:12

I would like for all you experienced wrenchers out there to help the rest of us understand valves. Specifically, what happens when a valve "burns"?  What symptoms would the engine exhibit if it has a burnt valve?  What would a burnt valve look like internally?  What causes valves to burn?

Let the discussion commence!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: A lesson in valve mechanics
Reply #1 - 10/03/11 at 11:32:24

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 10/03/11 at 13:49:32

Thanks, Versy!  So, a rough idle, a sucking exhaust, and a loss of compression are symptoms of the burnt valve.  In the second video,  I'm guessing it was cylinders #3 and #4 that had burnt valves.  The stuff oozing in those cylinders was evidently water or other liquid demonstrating that the valves were not sealing.

As to what causes valves to burn, I know that an exhaust leak can cause it.  Why is that the case, and are there any other causes?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/03/11 at 15:10:28

More or less, a burnt valve referrs to the valve loosing the sealing surface due to overheating.

This can be caused by lean mixture, incorrect valve adjustment, I'm sure there's more reasons just don't know anymore.

we all know that lean mixtures will drive the exhaust temps up.  some one posted an aircraft egt graph awhile back.

also, the valve depends on contact with the head for cooling.  being adjusted too tight will decrease contact time.

WWW   IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/03/11 at 15:23:36

Versy has it covered.

Lean mixture can also cause the valves to "square".
Due to the higher temps, it overheats and stresses the valve, causing small cracks/weakness around the thinnest portion of the valve (typically right around the perimeter of the seat/edges of the valve. ) Often times these will eventually break off, thus causing a loss in compression. Smiley

IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 10/03/11 at 15:40:06

Please explain what you mean by "rough idle".  My bike has a very uneven idle when cold.  It seems like it misses occasionally until it warms up, or I pull the choke out 1 click.  Once it's warm it's even and strong.
Is this indicative of valve damage?  I'm kinda worried now, would the rag trick in the you tube clip work with the stock exhaust?  If so I'll give it a shot tonight.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/03/11 at 15:53:22

I wouldn't necessarily think there was anything wrong on a cold machine needing the choke pulled out 1 or 2 clicks to idle correctly till warm.

Sounds like a good ol carbed cold motor to me Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/03/11 at 16:40:53

AlphaBarney wrote on 10/03/11 at 15:40:06:
Please explain what you mean by "rough idle".  My bike has a very uneven idle when cold.  It seems like it misses occasionally until it warms up, or I pull the choke out 1 click.  Once it's warm it's even and strong.
Is this indicative of valve damage?  I'm kinda worried now, would the rag trick in the you tube clip work with the stock exhaust?  If so I'll give it a shot tonight.

Worried? do a compression test and you'll know.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 10/03/11 at 17:16:27

Thats another beauty of a single cylinder, not hard to tell which cylinder has the problem.....if there is one Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 10/03/11 at 18:16:36

verslagen1 wrote on 10/03/11 at 15:10:28:
More or less, a burnt valve referrs to the valve loosing the sealing surface due to overheating.

This can be caused by lean mixture, incorrect valve adjustment, I'm sure there's more reasons just don't know anymore.

we all know that lean mixtures will drive the exhaust temps up.  some one posted an aircraft egt graph awhile back.

also, the valve depends on contact with the head for cooling.  being adjusted too tight will decrease contact time.

Just a small correction,..

Lean mixtures lower combustion temps.  That graph showed the max temps happened at stoichiometric mixtures -- the so-called perfect mixture,.. 14.7:1

Valves might burn possibly from detonation, which will increase temps unevenly,... but if you gradually get leaner than 14.7:1, the temps will decrease.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/03/11 at 18:28:06

Gyr, did lycoming publish what the a/f's where, cause it's not on the chart?

Gyrobob wrote on 08/31/11 at 05:40:46:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/30/11 at 07:47:05:

Mixture too lean

Combined with a high power setting this will result in high cylinder temperatures, possible detonation, very hot or burnt exhaust valves and maybe damage to the pistons resulting in a power failure and a possible off airport landing

Just read it for what it says -- mixture too lean at wide open throttle will result in higher cylinder temperatures.  Detonation is easy to explain when the valves get anywhere near hot enough to burn (cherry red) and aluminum pistons can get soft and blow out in those conditions as well…….

We’re splitting hairs here, methinks, but,.. to be technically accurate, a lean mixture doesn't raise CHT, it lowers CHT.  Since you bring up aircooled aircraft examples, check out Lycoming’s chart:

The danger from lean temps is what happens from crappy flame front travel.  When the flame front is not smooth and consistent, detonation (an explosion rather than a smooth burn) can cause mechanical damage.

One other comment, if the valves get hot enough to ignite the mixture prematurely, the result is preignition, not detonation.   Other causes of preignition: timing advanced too far, and glowing hot carbon residue.  The difference between the results of detonation vs preignition is moot,.. they both result in pinging (an explosion rather than a smooth burn) and probable damage if the pinging happens a lot.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 10/03/11 at 18:33:04

Vers asks, "Gyr, did lycoming publish what the a/f's where, cause it's not on the chart?"

I'm sure there's a chart somewhere like this that has actual A/F ratios on it.  I'll check some old textbooks.

On the chart shown, 14.7 would be at peak CHT.  The EGT continues increasing for a bit because near 14.7 there is still some burning going on in the first part of the header.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:18:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A lesson in valve mechanics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.