Send Topic Print
gas cap (Read 371 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
gas cap
10/02/11 at 17:00:05

By far my most embarrassing question to date. Reassembled gas cap after shimming gasket, reinstalled gas cap AND NOW I CAN'T REMOVE IT. Any ideas before I haul it off to a locksmith or M/C mechanic tomorrow?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: gas cap
Reply #1 - 10/02/11 at 17:32:26

One of two things happened:
When you put it back together you did not have the pins that pull the sliding clips in lined up properly. Did you test it after assembly and the pins retracted smoothly? If this is the problem I can't think of a way to fix it, other than drilling out the lock.
You have packed it out too much so those pins are binding. Try pushing down on the top of the cap and turning the key. Don't break the key or you are really screwed.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #2 - 10/02/11 at 17:34:41

geez.  Don't drill it out.

You didn't change the pins right?  Push on the cap while you are turning the lock cylinder.  Sounds like the shim is too thick.  I don't think you will need a locksmith.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/02/11 at 17:36:30

arteacher wrote on 10/02/11 at 17:32:26:
If this is the problem I can't think of a way to fix it, other than drilling out the lock.

Arrrgh! NO!

Quote:
You have packed it out too much so those pins are binding. Try pushing down on the top of the cap and turning the key. Don't break the key or you are really screwed.

YES, YES, YES!

Get a friend to help, push down hard.  don't collapse the tank   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 10/02/11 at 17:45:28

I made a boo boo Embarrassed
I did not intend to recommend drilling out the lock, only that I couldn't think of anything else.
Very sorry.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/02/11 at 18:03:40

drilling is a last resort when all else has failed.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/02/11 at 18:25:13

verslagen1 wrote on 10/02/11 at 18:03:40:
drilling is a last resort when all else has failed.

Naaa,... lighting the fuel in tank and blowing the cap off, is the LAST resort...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - 10/02/11 at 19:06:29

So the drilling and making a spark into the tank would be the 2nd to last resort. Word.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 10/03/11 at 01:18:38

I've never had a problem with leaks as some have, but it does get hard to turn the key at times. I just get a small tipped oil can and put a DROP of 30wt oil in the key slot, then push the key in and out a few times. Then I put a DROP in the little opening on the side of the cap by the gasket. Then I put a DROP on both of the locking lugs and again work the key several times. All this is done with the cap off. Works for me.    

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 10/03/11 at 01:46:40

If you could turn the key to get it on, you can turn the key if you press the gas cap down hard enough.. but careful not to break the key. I've gotten mine stuck a few times trying to fix the gas cap leak...

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #10 - 10/04/11 at 18:44:45

Thanks, everyone. Taking it to an independent mechanic tomorrow, will attempt to ride with my fingers crossed. Neither muscle nor foul language would release the cap. Can't tell you how pleased I am with myself.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/04/11 at 19:04:00

how about a fresh sheet of sand paper.
smooth side against the tank, maybe a little grease too.
and slowly work it under the rubber seal to grind it away.
and work it all the way around.

WWW   IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #12 - 10/05/11 at 11:47:23

Mechanic couldn't help, and we both think the lock is broken (mea culpa). Tomorrow I'm going to a locksmith, but assuming the worst, does anyone know of a good source for new cap/lock? I'm getting nowhere on Google, and I fear my bike will soon be dry docked for want of a cap. Thanks, amigos.

IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/05/11 at 12:07:17

Did you ever TEST the lock on the cap PRIOR to re-installing it ?

Or did you pull it apart, put it all back together, then blindly stick it back on the bike without a function test ?

How hard did you have to press to get the cap on ?

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #14 - 10/06/11 at 07:29:15

I think you can buy plastic gas caps with out a lock, I saw them somewhere, eBay or random google searches...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:28:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.