Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RYCA options for crankcase breather?? (Read 369 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
RYCA options for crankcase breather??
10/02/11 at 10:47:24

RYCA does not address the issue of what to do with the crankcase fumes.  What options are available other than these?:
   1. Just leave the tube open, tucked up out of the way somewhere
   2. Poke a hole in the K&N filter and stick the tube in it.
   3. Buy a small motorcycle-sized breather filter and route the tube and filter somewhere toward the rear of the bike

Any input from any source will at least be read, if not used.  RYCA builders?  LS650/S40 operators?  Anybody?

My quest is for a solution that is tidy, functions well, and will take something less than 10 hours to implement.

Thanks for any info.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: RYCA options for crankcase breather??
Reply #1 - 10/02/11 at 11:04:11

I wouldn't leave it open,... it'll just puke oil mist all over...

Tidiest solution would be to route it to the air filter,...

Easiest is to stick mini filter on it...  
I'd try to route the hose somewhat upward, in the hopes that the oil mist would condense at the top, and flow back down into the head...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 10/02/11 at 11:16:55

Serowbot wrote on 10/02/11 at 11:04:11:
I wouldn't leave it open,... it'll just puke oil mist all over...

Tidiest solution would be to route it to the air filter,...

Easiest is to stick mini filter on it...  
I'd try to route the hose somewhat upward, in the hopes that the oil mist would condense at the top, and flow back down into the head...

With a hose going to a small breather filter, there will be some moisture from condensation as well, especially during the first 5 min or so after a cold start up.  I'm wondering if it would be better to have it drain down into a hose/filter below the head, or have the moisture drain back down into the head (along with the condensed oil mist).

Yes, there ought to be some way to vent the mist-laden fumes to the air filter.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/02/11 at 12:27:41

The real problem with a thumper is the large volume of air that is moved in & out of the crankcase as the piston moves. On multi- cylinder engines this is confined to the crankcase mostly as one piston goes up there is another coming down & the volume of air in the crankcase remains roughly the same.  With the engine running put your thumb lightly over the end of that breather hose & feel the pulses of air at idle. I wouldn't want to route that to a pod filter on the carb becauase of the interference it might cause with air flow. If you had some sort of air box around the filter I would put it there.
Personally, I would loop the hose up under the tank as high as possible to give the oil vapor a chance to drain back into the engine & then down the front frame tube. Then I would put the largest pod style filter I could find on it. Zip tie everything & trim the excess off the ties to make it as neat as possible. The better that vent can breath, the fewer oil leaks you will have.

On my 2.3L ford mini-stock engine, The normal pvc hose is routed to the side of the engine with a pcv valve mounted inline, then the hose continues to an air pump check valve on the end of a short piece of pipe welded at an angle into the header collector.
The exhaust passing the end of that pipe creates a suction that keeps pressure from building up in the engine. I have a pod type filter  mounted on the valve cover to allow air to be drawn in to prevent the gaskets from being sucked in. This system cured 90% of the oil leaks on my engine. BTW, this engine turns over 8000 rpm in competition . When I first bought this car it blew oil out everywhere. Cool
If you run the engine long enough, any moisture in the oil will be gone from the heat. Consistent short rides don't give enough time to rid the oil of contaminants & would be a reason for more frequent oil changes.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 10/02/11 at 13:01:32

I never tried this on a Savage (take with grain of salt) but on another thumper I ran the vent hose up under the gas tank, over the frame backbone, then back down to one of those mini-K&N looking filters you can get at Autozone for about 15 bucks.  It worked very well.. kept itself misted with oil but not so much as to drip.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/02/11 at 13:05:01

Put a PCV valve in the line, and run it to the vacuum tap on the carb?...
Pulse injection?...

Never mind... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 10/02/11 at 15:16:43

Boule’tard wrote on 10/02/11 at 13:01:32:
I never tried this on a Savage (take with grain of salt) but on another thumper I ran the vent hose up under the gas tank, over the frame backbone, then back down to one of those mini-K&N looking filters you can get at Autozone for about 15 bucks.  It worked very well.. kept itself misted with oil but not so much as to drip.

This sounds useful.  The mini-K&N-ish Autozone filter probably flows well enough to handle the huge suck and blow (as explained by Ridgerunner13) that happens with each 4-strokes (2revs).

The stock Savage setup goes to the airbox and the carb sucks it all in with its next gulp of intake air.  The RYCA setup scraps the airbox in favor of a K&N cone, so it would be difficult and/or tacky to hook up the hose to that filter, methinks.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #7 - 10/02/11 at 15:35:24

For what it's worth, on my Ryca kit I have a hose running from the vent tube on the cylinder head along the bottom of the gas tank, then down to enter the front of the battery box, and then up to the rear plate of the battery box. On that plate I've drilled a hole to mount a K&N crankcase breather filter inside the battery box.

I don't know if the routing is ideal.

The bike (with almost 20K miles) is using a fair amount of oil (5W40), but there's no visible smoke from the pipe (there are dry carbon deposits inside the muffler), only very minor gasket seeps, and no noticeable dribbling from the crankcase breather filter.

I suspect valve guides and/or piston rings are the problem, not the crankcase breathing.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #8 - 10/02/11 at 16:25:55

Gyrobob wrote on 10/02/11 at 15:16:43:
The mini-K&N-ish Autozone filter probably flows well enough to handle the huge suck and blow (as explained by Ridgerunner13) that happens with each 4-strokes (2revs).

I think it would work all right.  The engine I tried it on was 576cc, the Savage is 652.. not much of a stretch displacement-wise. Some guy on here had a similar filter on his Savage but I lost track of who it was.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/03/11 at 04:13:47

for what its worth, I chose option number 3 and it works fine. Picked up a little K&N type filter from advance auto parts and route it to the back down low.

IP Logged
TheSnakeLady

Thumpers Rule!!!

Central New York
Reply #10 - 10/03/11 at 06:42:27

This is what I've got going on:

My ride is a 2005 LS650, customized with ISO grips, cone air filter, stage 1 jets, Jardine exhaust, solo seat, AM turn sigs, and a catseye tail light. Next year, custom paint job (hopefully)!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 10/03/11 at 07:46:28

Here's what mine looks like...I've since changed to a cone air filter mounted right on the carb, but the crankcase breather is still the same.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 10/03/11 at 08:01:23

TheSnakeLady wrote on 10/03/11 at 06:42:27:

Looks good

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/03/11 at 17:13:25

Applied Racing makes a nice tiny filter that goes on the end of the hose, very unobtrusive and effective unlike the K and N model.
Lead the hose back and down along the rear frame by the swing arm and you are all set.
Gyrobob wrote on 10/02/11 at 10:47:24:
RYCA does not address the issue of what to do with the crankcase fumes.  What options are available other than these?:
   1. Just leave the tube open, tucked up out of the way somewhere
   2. Poke a hole in the K&N filter and stick the tube in it.
   3. Buy a small motorcycle-sized breather filter and route the tube and filter somewhere toward the rear of the bike

Any input from any source will at least be read, if not used.  RYCA builders?  LS650/S40 operators?  Anybody?

My quest is for a solution that is tidy, functions well, and will take something less than 10 hours to implement.

Thanks for any info.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 10/03/11 at 18:12:00

How about poking a hole in outer panel of the RYCA-supplied K&N filter, inserting a grommet that has an ID a few thousands smaller than the OD of the hose, and sticking the hose in the grommet,... just sending the fumes into the inside of the filter?

I could see some resonance issues, maybe, because of the small volumes involved,... but, in effect, the stock setup does this same thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA options for crankcase breather??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.