Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
To Fork Brace or Not to Fork Brace... (Read 989 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: To Fork Brace or Not to Fork Brace...
Reply #30 - 10/01/11 at 18:42:28

Heck, man, we've ALL paid more than $100.00 for hammers we never even saw.. The Goobs bought them.. with OUR $$$

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #31 - 10/01/11 at 18:43:40

OK here goes the true about fork braces,About 35 year I put a tkat brace on different name then but the same thing,I noticed it being more stable,but if you live in the north were it freezes in the winter the roads are rough it will help but if the roads are smooth you aren't going to notice it very much.I had about 8 different bikes since the one I put the fork brace on and never even though about needing one.I found the site almost a year before I bought my S40 and people wee using them,Being this was a little bike I ordered one, got it 2 days after I bought my bike so hadn't ridden it much without out it.Where I live and on the S40 I thing it is good and worth the money,It really only works when the forks are moving so if you have smooth rodes you might not need one.I used to go across grated bridges and didn't like the feeling and would slow down a little,Read in a motorcycle magazine to go faster on the bridges I tried it and it works. My 3 cents.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 10/01/11 at 19:05:24

Fork brace? We don't need no stinking fork brace!
You don't like the twisty chattery, living on the edge feeling of riding a light bike at speed? Hitting road snakes or road chop and wondering if you are about to loose it is half the fun of riding!
However, a fork brace 'is' cheaper than dropping your bike in a turn and spending the night in the hospital...but that is part of living on the edge right?
I'm with Serowbot on this one!

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #33 - 10/02/11 at 03:17:40

Was I being synonymous? My bad. What I meant was the Superbrace was made for the Savage. Maybe they also make them for other bikes too? Not sure. But it was mentioned that the only TKat on his website was for a Yamaha. He can also make one for the Savage. So, maybe "reworked" would have been a better choice of wording it. I don't mean to nit pick, but some people seem to be nit pickers and I just wanted to clarify what I meant.
And yes, Bob, it is a matter of choice and opinion. Which is why I would choose the Superbrace. Less parts, less hassle and adjusting to install, less bolts, therefore, less chance of something coming loose, or being misaligned. I would spend the extra money for that security. And I still think it looks better.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #34 - 10/02/11 at 05:06:48

drums1 wrote on 10/02/11 at 03:17:40:
Was I being synonymous? My bad. What I meant was the Superbrace was made for the Savage. Maybe they also make them for other bikes too? Not sure. But it was mentioned that the only TKat on his website was for a Yamaha. He can also make one for the Savage. So, maybe "reworked" would have been a better choice of wording it. I don't mean to nit pick, but some people seem to be nit pickers and I just wanted to clarify what I meant.
And yes, Bob, it is a matter of choice and opinion. Which is why I would choose the Superbrace. Less parts, less hassle and adjusting to install, less bolts, therefore, less chance of something coming loose, or being misaligned. I would spend the extra money for that security. And I still think it looks better.

Marvy

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 10/02/11 at 13:26:16

Thanks arteacher for highlighting the improvements you got with the braces.  I avoid the rough spots on the road because my aging body can't take it anymore so I haven't detected too many shortcomings.  The bike is stronger than I am.

But I remember destroying the front end of an Italian bike in the sixties when I took off the front fender and moderately abused it.  In about two weeks the tubes were lose and sloppy.  Back then the Italian bikes were almost all lightly built economy models.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #36 - 10/02/11 at 20:00:17

Gyrobob wrote on 10/02/11 at 05:06:48:
drums1 wrote on 10/02/11 at 03:17:40:

Marvy

Indeed.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #37 - 10/03/11 at 05:01:14

Well, not being alone now, maybe I dare my 2 cents,.....not that I didn't say it before,.................

I wouldn't give a nickle for anything that is supposed to make this bike more stable,......because I haven't found any place it needs it. I know the windy roads perdy good here now, so I lay it over more than I should at times, but never.....at anytime have I felt that the bike was not stable,.....or that handling could be improved on.

It may be like Bill says, you don't notice anything on good roads, and I will say,.....compared to Ca, Oregon's roads are superb,....all of them !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #38 - 10/03/11 at 06:33:28

I'm curious, I've been thinking of one for a while and a supermoto buddy of mine thought it was strange that we'd even need one for a street bike. Most folks using braces are off-roaders. They bash through the whoop-di-doos, fly into banked berms and generally fly through the air with the greatest of ease. I'm sure thier forks can benefit but do we really need one for cruising on roads at 70mph?
The only reason I would get one is if it helped the bike feel more solid on the super slab... mine feels awesome w/o one in the twisties. So what does one of these thingies feel like when you're cruising on the hiway???

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #39 - 10/03/11 at 07:16:01

Bubba wrote on 10/03/11 at 06:33:28:
I'm curious, I've been thinking of one for a while and a supermoto buddy of mine thought it was strange that we'd even need one for a street bike. Most folks using braces are off-roaders. They bash through the whoop-di-doos, fly into banked berms and generally fly through the air with the greatest of ease. I'm sure thier forks can benefit but do we really need one for cruising on roads at 70mph?
The only reason I would get one is if it helped the bike feel more solid on the super slab... mine feels awesome w/o one in the twisties. So what does one of these thingies feel like when you're cruising on the hiway???

I have used fork braces on a few bikes.  Seldom did they make a huge difference.  In each case, though, the bike feels a little more planted.  The front end feels a little "rubbery" without one, so to speak.

I can see how dirt bikes would benefit, but on a RYCA bike, there should also be some benefit because the stock forks are for cruising, and the new function of the bike (at least for me) will involve a lot more leany-over type of riding in the twisties,... Dragon's tale, Barber, etc.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 10/03/11 at 09:00:19

Bubba wrote on 10/03/11 at 06:33:28:

Braces really do help the feel of the bike in rough conditions.
You probably won't notice the difference in smooth roads like the dragon's tail.  But on the urban motox of cracks, uneven surfaces, bumps, pot holes and rain grooves where you are supposed to be traveling in a straight line.

WWW   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #41 - 10/03/11 at 12:32:18

Could a hammer maybe save your life?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #42 - 10/03/11 at 12:49:16

In Michigan we have some umm, interesting roads. The fork brace definitely helps. (Our roads are all f*cked up in the spring due to freezing and thawing. And they are all under construcdtion for the short summer here.)
We have sand, gravel, tar-snakes, pot-holes, animal remains, autumn leaves, and God only knows what every time we ride.

I would say if you live in the north country the cost of the fork brace is well worth it.)

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #43 - 10/03/11 at 13:13:48

So you're saying that in Canada it is a must.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #44 - 10/03/11 at 15:09:35

I posted early on in this thread, I have a tkat and I really like mine.  I could tell a difference when I put it on, or at least I thought I could.

But the more I thought about it, the more I come to this conclusion.  Some folks are going to love them, some are going to hate them and some are not going to care.  It is really a personal thing, a taste, an eye of the beholder kind of thing.  My bike is basically stock, I appreciate those who bob, hard tail and so forth their bikes, but that is not what I want, at least not now.  So I guess that is the bottom line, it is like seafoam, klotz, rotella and so forth.

Just remember to play nice.  Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:22:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › To Fork Brace or Not to Fork Brace...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.