Send Topic Print
Flat Tire? (Read 117 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Flat Tire?
09/28/11 at 11:58:13

Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place. My searches here have come up empty.

It occurs to me that I have no way of dealing with a flat tire when far from home. Has this been much of an issue for y'all? How do you deal with it? What do you cross-country travelers carry with you for repairs, temporary or otherwise?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Flat Tire?
Reply #1 - 09/28/11 at 12:08:54

A flat with a tube tire and you're pretty much SOL...
Flat fix rarely helps, because tubes tend to rip open when they blow...
Unless you're going to carry tire irons and a spare tube, you just need to get your bike or tire to a shop...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #2 - 09/28/11 at 12:37:03

Yeah, kinda thunk so. Have you (or anyone else) experienced many flats?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/28/11 at 12:53:12

One on this bike,... two on my Yamaha DP... that's over about 50k miles...
Many more before that, when I rode dirt... (back then, I changed my own tires)...
Learned my "FlatFix" lesson on the first one...  What a mess!...
Now,.. I just get my buddy to trailer it home, pull the wheel, and have the shop replace the tube...

Tubeless tires would be so much better...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 09/28/11 at 13:53:05

CAA Plus, and a cell phone. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 09/28/11 at 14:08:36

I've had three flats; one with a tubed tire.

I carry a tire repair kit (plugs) and a CO2 inflator for long trips on the FJR.  Lightweight and a piece of cake for tubeless tires.  

Some folks like to carry Slime or some such.  Some folks use PJ1 Balance Plus all the time to automatically balance the tires and to seal up any punctures instantly.

Tubes are worse.  Like stated above, the tubes often get hurt if they blow, or as you slow down.  The only real option is to carry tire irons and a patch kit, and to have the skill to fix the tube along the side of the road.  What a pain.

Overall, I'd just find some way to get the bike to a shop.  With AAA and cell phones, things aren't as risky as they used to be.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/28/11 at 14:30:40

Unless you're experience in the art of changing tires, don't bother.
This is a skill you're not going to learn on the side of the road.

The tires fit pretty tightly on the rims and using regular tire irons will most likely pinch the tube and punchure it.  If it can't be fixed with a tire-in-a-can product, you're SOL.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/28/11 at 17:48:30

The front tire isnt so bad to get off the rim,, the rear, OTOH,, is a Genuine Rasslin Match, This isnt a Solo Roadside task, Its time to call for help if the thing cant be ridden, Ive ridden on a flat rear,, If the tires pretty new, itll handle straight lines pretty well,, Go REAL Slow in any turns. I havent ridden on a flat front, but Ive sure found it seriously underinflated & still rideable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #8 - 09/28/11 at 19:58:06

Might want to check out AMA. With auto renewal they offer roadside asst. for I believe $39 a year. Used it once, flat tire on the CB250. Very professional, knew what they were doing. Hauled me and bike about 25 miles to shop. Well worth the $39 to me.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 09/29/11 at 07:30:35

Gyrobob wrote on 09/28/11 at 14:08:36:
I've had three flats; one with a tubed tire.

I carry a tire repair kit (plugs) and a CO2 inflator for long trips on the FJR.  Lightweight and a piece of cake for tubeless tires.  

Some folks like to carry Slime or some such.  Some folks use PJ1 Balance Plus all the time to automatically balance the tires and to seal up any punctures instantly.

Tubes are worse.  Like stated above, the tubes often get hurt if they blow, or as you slow down.  The only real option is to carry tire irons and a patch kit, and to have the skill to fix the tube along the side of the road.  What a pain.

Overall, I'd just find some way to get the bike to a shop.  With AAA and cell phones, things aren't as risky as they used to be.

One thing I forgot to add,...

The Savage has no centerstand.  It is almost impossible to fix a flat by yourself along the side of the road with a sidestanded, tubed-tired bike.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:25:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flat Tire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.