Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help. cold  weather riding (Read 130 times)
omlitt2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

help. cold  weather riding
09/28/11 at 06:23:31

i have a 2003 suzuki savage (ls650). rode fine this summer in kentucky, had the shop adjust the idle when i went in for an oil change in july.

trying to ride it into work in the mornings now (55 deg, 88%humidity) but it dies on idling in traffic. in the summer it doesn't need the choke to start (in fact it won't start this way in the summer) but lately the choke works well to start.  can't get it to stay running in the morning though. seems sluggish to respond to the throttle also, sputters and dies. hard to get started again with any combination of using the choke or half choke. found the only way to get it started again was to set to prime. if it wasn't' on prime in traffic it would die, so i rode (and idled) on prime into work. i'm guessing its not good to do this often.  

suggestions welcome!! i don't' have a long commute (less than 5 miles) and no highways so it doesn't get a chance to get warmed up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: help. cold  weather riding
Reply #1 - 09/28/11 at 06:26:25

Rubbers & plastics get stiffer in the cold,, the petcock has a vacuum operated valve in it,, cold = stiff.. 2003 model,, that petcock might have been built in 02,, run it on prime,, till ya fix the problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 09/28/11 at 08:25:21

I had the same problem...converted the petcock to a Raptor

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/28/11 at 19:28:04

I got a question for you -- look on the left side of the carburetor next to the big semi-circular connection to the throttle cable.

Yep, that big thumb screw looking thingie that pushes against it is your idle adjustment.

Adjust it until the problem goes away.

All better now?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #4 - 09/29/11 at 09:43:23

+1 to OF

I've been riding on prime for a couple years now, that's not going to hurt anything. It sounds like your bike doesn't have enough time to warm up and the idle is set too low for colder temps. I need to adjust my idle settings about once a month for the various weather conditions.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/29/11 at 10:46:17

Yea,, I cant believe I missed that.. I adjust my idle speed even in summer,, start away from the house & tweak it up,, get a few miles down the road & let it off a bit,, GOTTA keep the RPM up, to keep oil pressure up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:34:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help. cold  weather riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.