Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Declared Sea Foam War (hip waders needed) (Read 1011 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Sea Foam
Reply #30 - 10/01/11 at 03:28:48

Ok let me derail this for a second.. WHAT EXACTLY IS THE BEST OIL TO USE FOR A SAVAGE? And I don't mean run it for an hour, I mean run it till the next oil change.. I've been using Suzukis 4 cycle stuff according to outside weather temperature.. but is there something better I could be using? I'm probably gonna change my oil today make haste with a response guru's  Cheesy

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #31 - 10/01/11 at 06:11:44

What I want is an oil you don't have to run to the next oil change, that would be something!  Cheesy

Coincidentally I am changing oil in my DR today as well.  Wasting my money on that overpriced Amsoil, and I'll be changing out the filter after only ONE oil change by god.. cleaning the ring schmagnet AND schmagnetized drain plug.  Then for good measure I'll pour some seafoam into my non-leaking plastic tank and run it through the Raptor petcock and non-paper fuel filter.

Should be a good time.  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #32 - 10/01/11 at 06:25:10

Built2Last wrote on 10/01/11 at 03:28:48:
Ok let me derail this for a second.. WHAT EXACTLY IS THE BEST OIL TO USE FOR A SAVAGE? And I don't mean run it for an hour, I mean run it till the next oil change.. I've been using Suzukis 4 cycle stuff according to outside weather temperature.. but is there something better I could be using? I'm probably gonna change my oil today make haste with a response guru's  Cheesy

Ohhhhhhhh Noooooooo here we Gooooooooo Roll Eyes

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #33 - 10/01/11 at 06:29:28

To get the thread sort of back on track I bought Seafoam Carb cleaner and lube when I had my spider problem, and flushed out the carb with it. A few days later I noticed the carb looked wet on the side and my first thought was it was leaking gas, but it was the lube part of the cleaner. Looks like a thin film of oil.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #34 - 10/01/11 at 07:47:18

Built2Last wrote on 10/01/11 at 03:28:48:

It is incredible how much of a dust up this kind of question can generate.

That said, your options are many.  There are only a few factors that matter much.
 -- Use the correct weight.  The manual specifies 10w-40 in general, but, depending on temp, allows 10w-30 thru 20w-50.  I have discussed this with a few chemical engineers (motor oil guys) and some aero professors who say this is a factor, but not a huge one.
 -- Any brand-name high-quality oil will do, but make sure it is not kind with friction modifiers in it.  The clutch might start slipping.  Don't use anything that has statements about "energy conserving" or "friction modifiers" or "gas saving" on it.  The lighter weight multi-grade oils will more likely have these kinds of statements.

Curiously, diesel oils have formulations that come pretty close to what we need in an air-cooled motor with the trans and the engine sharing the same oil.  Warning warning warning (opinion to follow),... I like Shell Rotella 10w-40 synthetic.  It's cheap (Wal-mart) and works as well as any expensive labeled-for-motorcycle oil.

Here's an interesting article:

http://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

« Last Edit: 10/01/11 at 11:27:32 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #35 - 10/01/11 at 08:04:32

Cheap you get what you pay for,why for less than $20 a year would you use cheap oil in a motorcycle,I use the best oil and highest price oil for my car.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #36 - 10/01/11 at 09:44:19

Ok so I wanna try the Seafoam in my oil trick... should I throw some (the correct ratio) into the oil that's about to be changed, drive out to get some food, then come back and change to the new oil or just add it to the new oil and leave it in there till the next change?

And I'm just gonna stick with the Suzuki brand 4 cycle 10w-40 oil for now... heh... I drive my bike 80% of the time when I go somewhere.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #37 - 10/01/11 at 10:18:28

I'd throw some in the grass, near the bike, and let the fumes be absmorphitized into the engine...
Probably the safest method... Wink...

(Last time I had my engine apart, at 25k miles,... it was spotless inside, and I never put anything in there, but clean oil every 2.5k)....
I used 10w-40 Valvoline car oil for the first 16k miles,... no problem...
... then switched to Shell Rotella (dino) when my stockpile ran out...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 10/01/11 at 10:28:00

Built2Last wrote on 10/01/11 at 09:44:19:
Ok so I wanna try the Seafoam in my oil trick... should I throw some (the correct ratio) into the oil that's about to be changed, drive out to get some food, then come back and change to the new oil or just add it to the new oil and leave it in there till the next change?

And I'm just gonna stick with the Suzuki brand 4 cycle 10w-40 oil for now... heh... I drive my bike 80% of the time when I go somewhere.

Put the Sea Foam and ride it and change the oil like you were going to.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #39 - 10/01/11 at 11:20:36

I put the Seafoam in the oil and gas tank and rode it a good 20 minutes, that stuff actually seems to do something... oil change here in about 15 minutes once the engine cools a bit.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #40 - 10/01/11 at 11:23:42

Serowbot wrote on 10/01/11 at 10:18:28:
I never put anything in there, but clean oil every 2.5k)....

You change every 2.5k? I've been going every 2k, even though the manual says 1.5k.. and I buy the K&N oil filters when they're on sale for around $6.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #41 - 10/01/11 at 11:33:17

bill67 wrote on 10/01/11 at 08:04:32:
Cheap you get what you pay for,why for less than $20 a year would you use cheap oil in a motorcycle,I use the best oil and highest price oil for my car.

Usually you get what you pay for.  

On the other hand, you can find identical products in different stores for different prices.  Once you've settled on a product, there's no point in paying more than the least for it.  Rotella Synthetic is pretty much the same formulation as motorcycle oil.  There are no brands better than Shell.  No point in paying 5 times as much for the same product.

But,... if it makes you happy to spend as much for a quart as I do for a gallon of the same stuff, please,... spend spend spend.  Your happiness is all that matters, eh?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 10/01/11 at 11:34:41

Built2Last wrote on 10/01/11 at 09:44:19:

If you like 10w-40 oil, why would you run it on 5w-20?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #43 - 10/01/11 at 11:36:46

Serowbot wrote on 10/01/11 at 10:18:28:
I'd throw some in the grass, near the bike, and let the fumes be absmorphitized into the engine...
Probably the safest method... Wink...

(Last time I had my engine apart, at 25k miles,... it was spotless inside, and I never put anything in there, but clean oil every 2.5k)....
I used 10w-40 Valvoline car oil for the first 16k miles,... no problem...
... then switched to Shell Rotella (dino) when my stockpile ran out...

I've had the same experience.  Several times I have had motors apart, motorcycle, auto, and aircraft.  They were all as you said,.. spotless.  No amount of additional detergent would have made any diff.  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #44 - 10/01/11 at 11:37:23

Built2Last wrote on 10/01/11 at 11:20:36:
I put the Seafoam in the oil and gas tank and rode it a good 20 minutes, that stuff actually seems to do something... oil change here in about 15 minutes once the engine cools a bit.

What did it do?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:23:17

General CategoryThe Cafe › Declared Sea Foam War (hip waders needed)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.