Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Declared Sea Foam War (hip waders needed) (Read 1011 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Sea Foam
Reply #15 - 09/30/11 at 08:15:09

Gyrobob wrote on 09/30/11 at 06:09:26:
Not me.  I'd never put any strong solvents in the crankcase for more than a few minutes.  Berryman's chemtool, Seafoam, Amsoil engine flush, Auto-rx, or any other solvent destroys all kinds of lubricating characteristics of the oil.  You are being naive if you think it will dissolve built up muck inside the engine and still lubricate normally.

Have any studies shown that putting solvents in your oil reduces engine life?

Just trolling ya.  I know it's a bad idea to leave that stuff in there for extended periods.

Oil has detergent in it anyway.  You don't need seafoam in your oil unless you've been seriously derelict on oil changes and now have a 1/2" sludge cake in there.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 09/30/11 at 08:27:48

If a engine sits for 6 months in the winter does it get 1/2 of sludge in it.No but it can have a sticky valves and rings,Thats were Sea Foam comes in to play.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 09/30/11 at 08:39:16

Boule’tard wrote on 09/30/11 at 08:15:09:
Gyrobob wrote on 09/30/11 at 06:09:26:
Not me.  I'd never put any strong solvents in the crankcase for more than a few minutes.  Berryman's chemtool, Seafoam, Amsoil engine flush, Auto-rx, or any other solvent destroys all kinds of lubricating characteristics of the oil.  You are being naive if you think it will dissolve built up muck inside the engine and still lubricate normally.

Have any studies shown that putting solvents in your oil reduces engine life?

Just trolling ya.  I know it's a bad idea to leave that stuff in there for extended periods.

Oil has detergent in it anyway.  You don't need seafoam in your oil unless you've been seriously derelict on oil changes and now have a 1/2" sludge cake in there.

Studies have shown,.....    Wink

I don't know if anyone has a study devoted specifically to seafoam in the oil vs longevity,.. but,...

Most folks here are pretty picky about the proper weight of oil used in their precious machinery.  I wonder if the seafoamisti realize when they put a pint of seafoam in the crankcase, the oil is now 5w-20 instead of 10w-40?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 09/30/11 at 08:50:10

Who said a pint.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 09/30/11 at 09:09:23

Of course Seafoam drops your viscosity, how else is it supposed to get behind your rings and valve guides to unstick them?  

Bah.  The amount of running, heat and circulation that would get seafoam in those places ought to be enough to get plain old oil/detergent in the same places and free up anything that might be stuck.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 09/30/11 at 09:38:13

Boule’tard wrote on 09/30/11 at 09:09:23:
Of course Seafoam drops your viscosity, how else is it supposed to get behind your rings and valve guides to unstick them?  

Bah.  The amount of running, heat and circulation that would get seafoam in those places ought to be enough to get plain old oil/detergent in the same places and free up anything that might be stuck.

I agree.  The formulation of the base stock and additives package is put together by guys who know way more about this than seafoamisti.  

We buy high-quality detergent oil, change it on schedule, and then relax in the comfort of knowing we don't need to fiddle around with witches' brews of solvents.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 09/30/11 at 09:40:47

Boule you just said Sea Foam lowers your viscosity the only way it will get behind the rings and valves,then I guess by the way you talk you would have to use 5w 30 oil so it would have a lower viscosity to get behind the rings and valves.  Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 09/30/11 at 09:50:41

bill67 wrote on 09/30/11 at 08:50:10:
Who said a pint.

I did.  So use less.  If you only put in a tablespoon, you won't get much seafoam effect, eh?  But you might change the viscosity a lot, depending what it does to the additives that control the viscosity.

The point is you are not a chemical engineer.  Neither am I.

I do know enough, though, that you can have all kinds of unpleasant things happen when you go screwing around with complex issues you don't understand.

I trust the engineers who created the oil more than I do the snake-oil salesmen that are trying to con folks into buying their "products."

If seafoam would improve their oil, the chemical engineers would put it in their oil to start with.  

Oh,...

Wait,....

They already DO have a strong detergent package in the oil,..

Sorry, I forgot.  I guess we don't ever have to worry about using any extra detergents in the crankcase.
  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 09/30/11 at 09:52:19

bill67 wrote on 09/30/11 at 09:40:47:
Boule you just said Sea Foam lowers your viscosity the only way it will get behind the rings and valves,then I guess by the way you talk you would have to use 5w 30 oil so it would have a lower viscosity to get behind the rings and valves.  Roll Eyes

If you put seafoam in 5w-30, you'd have something like 0w-20.  It'd be like water once it warmed up.

You stay away from my engine!!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 09/30/11 at 09:53:18

Like I said before Gyro I'm sorry Sea Foam didn't work out for you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 09/30/11 at 09:57:53

Gyrobob wrote on 09/30/11 at 09:52:19:

If you put seafoam in 5w-30, you'd have something like 0w-20.  It'd be like water once it warmed up.

Gyro you need to read and understand a post before you reply,Then before you reply read your reply over a couple times so you understand it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #26 - 09/30/11 at 10:24:36

bill67 wrote on 09/30/11 at 09:57:53:
Gyrobob wrote on 09/30/11 at 09:52:19:

Gyro you need to read and understand a post before you reply,Then before you reply read your reply over a couple times so you understand it.

I understand my replies perfectly.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #27 - 09/30/11 at 10:47:41

Just So You Know!

SEA FOAM - a few oz's added to 3/4 tank of gas made my lawn mower quit sputtering, instantly!

Sea Foam believe in it or not - I do!

I used Valvoline 4T10-40 switched to Castrol 4T10-40 - noticeably smoother shifting. No Sea Foam added.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #28 - 09/30/11 at 10:48:49

Always a fight whenever you mention either oil or seafoam.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #29 - 09/30/11 at 10:57:50

Ya know what, I have a new theory.  Little scrubby-dudes.   Cheesy

"We scrub behind your piston rings and valve guides, so you don't have tooooooooooo..."  ...to wait 5 seconds for your oil detergent to do the same thing, that is.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:23:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Declared Sea Foam War (hip waders needed)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.