Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is your oldest Harbor Freight tool? (Read 174 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
What is your oldest Harbor Freight tool?
09/28/11 at 01:00:27

We all know H-F sells cheap import tools, but some of them are pretty good.

I have:      

5 speed 5/8 tapered chuck heavy duty bench top drill press I got in 1981 & it still works fine.

5 h.p. 60 gal 2 stage air compressor bought in June of 1986. Used almost every day, the only thing I've had to replace is the pressure switch. Still has the original belt, oil has been changed 4 times. I think it was around $800.

14" cutoff saw I bought in '91 for $50 to build one racecar. It built 6 racecars from; 91-96 and still works fine.

These are the major tools I can think of but I'm sure I have quite a few smaller tools that are fairly old & still work.

I've got the 500 amp battery load tester for $50. I bought it to replace a MAC tools one that looks just like it. The MAC version cost $250 - 25 years ago & the H-F actually works better than the MAC. Don't know how long it will last but I wouldn't be surprised if it outlasts me.

H-F has been very good to me. When you get a crappy tool they take it back with no hassle.

Back in Feb., myself & 2 friends went together & bought the 1000 lb. motorcycle lift. I had a coupon to get it for $280 so we each kicked in $100. the very next month they raised the price on the lift to $500.
I did some work for my friends (valve adjustment on a C50 & clean & rejet carbs on a Hyusong 650) & they gave me their share in the lift so now I own it. They know as long as I have it they can use it whenever they want any way. Cool

What's your oldest H-F tool? Huh

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: What is your oldest Harbor Freight tool?
Reply #1 - 09/28/11 at 03:47:17

I bought a table grinder from them and since they had none in the box they sold me the demo. All there but the bold that held one of the grinders on the unit. I thought no problem! i could find one in any hardware store. No such luck! Found out it was a bolt size made for that grinder only and I had to order it and it could take a month. I took it back. I do have a motorcycle lift that works well tho and it was cheap. You can find lots of cool stuff there but lots of it is imported junk. You just have to be careful.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 09/28/11 at 05:01:46

My dad (whos tools I use) has quite a few pieces from them that have stood the test of time, minus the screw drivers I've bent.  Grin

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 09/28/11 at 05:12:03

The one I never use. Grin
Seriously we don't have Harbor Freight up here but we have an equivalent called Princess Auto. All Chinese manufactured stuff of varying quality. I only buy tools from there if I am not going to use them often. One nice thing about the store is they have a surplus section which is fun to go through and find unusual stuff, or rarely, something you actually need, for cheap.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/28/11 at 06:16:41

5 h.p. 60 gal 2 stage air compressor bought in June of 1986. Used almost every day, the only thing I've had to replace is the pressure switch. Still has the original belt, oil has been changed 4 times. I think it was around $800.

That was an expensive compressor.even back then. You couldnt touch it for $800.00 today tho..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 09/28/11 at 11:28:33

I've got that green tabletop belt+disk sander and I've used it heavily for several years.  When it was "delivered" (literally DROP shipped) there was a hole in the box where something had punched through and broke the start switch.  HF sent me another one for free, I installed it and haven't had a problem since.  

Almost as old - that 4 1/2" angle grinder you can occasionally catch on sale for $14.  I've done many projects and generally beat the hell out of it, and it just won't die.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 09/28/11 at 13:24:34

bout 4 months   Grin Grin

IP Logged
scroop

Good grief, not
again!!!

western PA
Reply #7 - 09/28/11 at 14:32:03

I got a magnet with a hook that I use to hang the trouble light when I'm under the car.  I got it almost a year ago at the local China Freight and it still works great (lol).

Ride free!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/28/11 at 16:12:37

Id be seriously bummed if a Magnet quit,, lol

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 09/29/11 at 00:55:12

HaHa! That was funny Justin!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 09/30/11 at 17:14:06

The 4 1/2 inch cheepo grinder. I'm on my second one in 25 years. The first blew a bearing in the head the second one is still going after 10+ years. The cord got shortened suddenly but beside that it just keeps on going.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #11 - 10/03/11 at 12:29:08

I bought a great motorcycle stand that can be bolted to my small traler for transport (or I would guess it would be good for a pick-up bed also).

For winter storage the bike sits upright in the garage. It only cost around $40.00 and it is made of heavy steel. It compares to other on-line stands that cost 3 or 4 times as much.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 10/03/11 at 12:41:55

I bought one of their cheapo rotary tool kits for like $9.99.  You know, the little one that looks like an electric toothbrush with all the little sanding wheels, drill bits, etc.  I figured it would suck, but I needed it for one little job, and didn't expect to get much more use out of it.  I actually used it for a few years, before my kid over-did it working on a wooden model car kit.  Still have a few of the attachments, but the electric part don't worka no-mo.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #13 - 10/03/11 at 16:32:30

I have the $10 mini-rotary tool also.  I bought it because I needed to drill a bunch of holes in a tight area where nothing else would fit.  Unfortunately the shafts are a little smaller than Dremel bits, too small for the Dremel collet to grab them.  It got through the job and still runs, though.

Old but useless:  The $20 impact driver (the silver one).  It's so weak you can hold it from turning with your bare hand.. why oh why didn't I return it.  Roll Eyes

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #14 - 10/04/11 at 17:17:14

i've got a HF "swiss army" knife from about 1987 - plastic sides fell of  about 20 years ago, but i still use the knife

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:26:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › What is your oldest Harbor Freight tool?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.