Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fuel Starvation vs. Petcock (Read 465 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: Fuel Starvation vs. Petcock
Reply #15 - 09/27/11 at 22:42:57

I got my first Savage in 1988. I quickly learned that it popped less & ran better with the petcock set on prime. If I ran in the on position I could tell when I was getting low on gas because it popped more on decel.
I've also had a 2000 & still own a 2001. The '01 is the only one to get the raptor because the stock p/c started leaking.
The vacuum p/c would probably work better IF they had used a vacuum reservoir.
When you run one hard & pull a trailer like I have, there is just not enough vacuum to keep full fuel flow to the carb. Believe what you want but that vacuum p/c is responsible for the bike running even leaner than the factory intended.

Like I said, I've had 3 Savages going back to '88 & ran everyone in prime until recently when I put a raptor on the '01.I've never had one flood like you worry so much about. If the needle & seat in the carb are working correctly, It WON'T leak gas. Running an inline fuel filter will help insure you won't have a problem. BTW, I'm a professional mechanic & have maintained all my bikes going back to 1967. I've also worked on whatever bikes my friends own, including the Hyusong 650 one of them owns. If you run up on one of them, be prepared to be out run cause they are way faster than the Savage. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 09/28/11 at 07:47:24

If/when I crash I'm not gonna be thinking about if my petcock is gonna be leaking...
I'll be more concerned about where I'm gonna be leaking...just sayin'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #17 - 10/11/11 at 21:03:12

In the end, everyone has to make their own decision based on their particular problems and preferences whether to Raptorize or keep the stock vac petcock.... "to each their own" persay.

All I know is that installing the Raptor solved the problems I was experiencing with fuel starvation on my '88.  Could have rebuilding the stock petcock done the same thing?....probably so, but now I don't have to consider petcock vacuum issues with future troubleshooting.

My preference is for the old standard of ON-OFF-RES petcock and I am willing to risk other possible "dangers" that may come with it.  For me, I prefer manually shutting off / turning on the gas and it's second nature as part of my startup or shut down routine.

The great thing about this mod or change is that it's not irreversible.  You can always change back if you choose to do so, or if you decide to sell and the buyer wants the stock vac petcock.

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #18 - 10/28/11 at 16:42:54

Oh, boy. A month ago yesterday I chimed in on this thread with some questions. A couple of weeks after that, cruising at 50-55 MPH my engine went silent. Thought it might be low fuel, so switched to Reserve, restarted bike (with more than usual cranking to get going), rode 8-10 miles to nearest gas station - and put in all of 1.7 gallons. Since low fuel clearly wasn't the problem, I concluded I must have inadvertently hit the kill switch whilst changing my grip (and didn't note at the time the position of said switch before I restarted).

Took a quick +/- 150 mi. round trip to Seligman (living monument to Route 66) today. Once each way had the above-described experience of sponaneous silence, only this time no question of low fuel or kill-swiktch activation. And each time it took a few extra cranks to get fire up. Dry carb?

I'll cop to being among the least mechanically adept members of this forum, so:

1. Raptor time?

2.. If so, good on-line source?

3. Routy, I admire and respect you, but if a simple fix will eliminate the problem, I'm goin' with it. (But thanks!).  

And thanks to all who humor me in my sometimes-vacuous (couldn't help it) contributions to the great forum.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 10/28/11 at 17:00:09

Ariz...  This is not the only possibility for your problem... I've had similar random engine cuts caused by a bad kickstand or clutch lever cut-out connector... try disconnecting and reconnecting those...

If you decide it's the petcock...
...check for any fuel leakage in your vacuum hose...  if you don't have any,.. it's likely that just replacing that hose and clamping it down well, will fix the problem for $2...  'till the hose goes again in a year or two...

... or a Raptor will fix it more permanently,.. and make tank removal easier...

your choice... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #20 - 10/28/11 at 17:09:47

Can Sea Foam or a louder muffler help your petcock?

Grin

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #21 - 10/28/11 at 17:50:54

Serowbot: Thanks. The reason I suspect the petcock is the number of spins it takes to re-start after each episode, much more than any other time, which I'm inclined to think is caused by a temporary absence of combustibles. But I'll check per your suggestions.

built2last66: Thank you, too, but I only use Sea Foam in my turn signals.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 10/28/11 at 18:31:02

Prolly right...  

I have to offer other possibilities and options for political reasons...  Grin...

Huh...

IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/28/11 at 18:36:18

Suzuki Savage has been around for a long long time so how is it possible that they can't come up witrh a trouble free vacuum petcock if thats what they want to use? Whats safe about fuel leaking down a vacuum line because the diaphragm is shot in the petcock?Bike manufacturers should be at their best if they want to keep their customers and deal with ongoing problems quickly and yes they are giving my wife a free Vacuum operated Petcock for her 2010 under warranty but that doesnt solve the issue.We ride 20,000KM every year and i'm not doing that with a Suzuki Vacuum Operated Petcock.I have already broke down once a thousand miles from home and i will not break down a 1000 miles from home over a Vacuum Operated Petcock or i'm the idiot!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 10/28/11 at 18:41:02

I don't -- but I be well known to be politically inkerect and often iggnoraunt.

Huh

(but too too often right, so woe is you if you heed not ... )

Sounds like Ziggy has done figured it out and has him the right pirate mindset.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 10/28/11 at 19:01:05

Ziggy,... if you do a Google search for "vacuum petcock" , you'll see, it's not just a Savage or Suzuki problem...
Yamaha's, Harley's, Honda's, Kawa's...  it's just the nature of the beast...

Anything that adds complexity, usually adds to failures...

Raptor is simple... simple is why I ride a thumper...  Wink...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 10/30/11 at 14:09:52

Here's a test for those of you that have access to both petcocks...

Use the same trick we use to check the float level.
Attach a clear line to the bottom of the bowl...
Run the line up at least as high as the vent tubes...
Run it along side the carb so you can see if the level of gas is at the gasket for the bowl.
Of course the trick is to check the level while going flat out.
'bot, this would be a good application of that key fob camera.

as soon as I can get some line I'll give it a try.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 10/30/11 at 16:34:58

I've had a lot of bikes mostly Suzuki's never any trouble with the petcocks.I think because I keep them in a garage their alway dry and don't get the night moisture and dry during the day,Also if you live in the south with the high temperatures its probably rough on the hoses,Never had to replace a hose either.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Johansson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/30/11 at 16:53:45

Never had a petcock problem? The last time I looked virtually every motorcycle made has the gas tank higher than the motor. That is why there is a shutoff valve for the fuel, so that the gas won't leak into the motor.

To the best of my recollection, I have had a problem with the petcock on every bike I've owned.  

Forget to shut the gas off and you think that your float valve needle seat is protecting you? Right.
Leave it over winter like that once.
Trailer your bike, leave that petcock on. Really, you're ok, you have float protection.

Thats foolish. The gas flow has to be shut off every time the motorcyle is parked.

The float can stick at anytime and the float should not ever be relied upon to stop fuel leakage.

Petcocks go bad, manual or vacuum.
Every vacuum operated valve I have had has gone bad.
Most of the manual valves I've had needed a rebuild or two, yea, they'll leak too. Or just plumb wear out, or the handle breaks off.

I don't care to rely on factory petcocks if I am keeping the bike. I buy a pingel valve at the first sign of petcock problems for my peace of mind.

On my Savage, which was purchased with a bad petcock, I installed a small stainless steel ball valve inline, run the stock petcock on prime, plugged the vacuum ports and it runs fine. I fill up everytime the odometer rolls over at hundred miles so not having reserve is not a problem. This works well for me as I only ride this bike around town.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 10/30/11 at 19:15:45

Johansson wrote on 10/30/11 at 16:53:45:
On my Savage, which was purchased with a bad petcock, I installed a small stainless steel ball valve inline, run the stock petcock on prime, plugged the vacuum ports and it runs fine. I fill up everytime the odometer rolls over at hundred miles so not having reserve is not a problem. This works well for me as I only ride this bike around town.

Reminds me of that,...
"You know you're a redneck if..."  "your working TV is sitting on top of your non-working TV"...

No offense intended... it works...  
Just thought it was funny...

PS... and I currently have my working guitar amp, sitting on top of my non working guitar amp...
P'ownd  myself!... Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:15:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Starvation vs. Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.