Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tried out a different bike today (Read 203 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
tried out a different bike today
09/26/11 at 17:11:24

well in my search for a slightly larger bike my first stop was a 96 kawasaki vulcan 800A - looks like an Savage on steroids - not comfy for the 6'2" 390lbs frame.....would need forward controls and long reach handlebars....so strike one for now.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: tried out a different bike today
Reply #1 - 09/26/11 at 17:20:48

I loved my 800A, but I'm only 235#. Same height though. My 800 Classic on the other hand, not even if it was free would I suffer the indignity of riding another one of those.

Try a VT1100, ACE and (maybe) Aero are chain drive, standards are shaft drive. Mid 90s and newer were really nice (and you could get full valanced fenders aftermarket). VT750s are stone gutless.

VN1500 was available in several flavors, Classic and Drifter with 16" front wheels, A model with 21" front. The A is kinda goofy looking though, has VN700/750 style air box pods.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/26/11 at 20:16:38

I have a '96 Vulcan 800A. It's a great bike! I installed drag bars with 8" rise and 7" pullback. I also put a Mustang fastback seat on it. It fits me perfect and I'm 6'2",  200#. The stock buckhorns didn't suit me at all, I felt like I had no leverage. Now I can ride all day long without a hitch.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 09/27/11 at 05:02:03

I'm kinda in search of a larger bike too that I can drive on the highway for at least 5-6 hours... I need something a little bigger for long trips. I think I'm going to start with the S50, just to have a look... my second feeling is that I wanna check out those HD sportster 1200cc, that's basically the only HD bike I like. Maybe an older model Goldwing, and rat bike it Cheesy

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #4 - 09/27/11 at 10:09:34

Built2Last wrote on 09/27/11 at 05:02:03:
I'm kinda in search of a larger bike too that I can drive on the highway for at least 5-6 hours... I need something a little bigger for long trips. I think I'm going to start with the S50, just to have a look... my second feeling is that I wanna check out those HD sportster 1200cc, that's basically the only HD bike I like. Maybe an older model Goldwing, and rat bike it Cheesy

Are you looking for more power or better ergonomics?  The S50 is essentially the same size as the S40 since it's the same frame.  I've ridden both and I feel almost the same on the S50 as the S40.  The S50 definitely has more power though.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 09/27/11 at 10:14:37

Looking for comfort and a bit more power/speed for highway travel... S40 is great for around town and 1-2 hour drives though. But I want to retain the style of the S40.. maybe a slightly larger bike in case I have a passenger....

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/27/11 at 10:54:31

Built2Last wrote on 09/27/11 at 10:14:37:
Looking for comfort and a bit more power/speed for highway travel... S40 is great for around town and 1-2 hour drives though. But I want to retain the style of the S40.. maybe a slightly larger bike in case I have a passenger....

the sportster is probably your best bet then, if it's a 2004 or newer one anyway. the S-50 really is the same as the S-40, just a little better top end speed. and if you want to go 5-6 hours on a bike, maybe something with a bigger gas tank would be better. The sportster 1200 has a bigger tank, I think the Triumph America/Speedmaster have the same 4.2 gal capacity tank the bonneville has, also if you don't mind a bit of a change in style, the Yamaha 950 is a great great ride, very cushy!

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #7 - 09/27/11 at 14:10:40

Picked up an 07 Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit earlier this month. Good bike if you just want to ride. Water cooled, hydralic lifters, shaft drive, comfortable ride, odd gearing (wide ratio 5 speed). Not a very good bike if you like to futz with it, but, for just riding, great.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #8 - 09/27/11 at 18:40:48

my goal is slightly more power without giving up MPG since it will be my primary commuter year round...then I want more of a Big Boy's bike sound....1/2 Harley in the middle of a 100 Harleys on a charity ride was well embarrassing.......my senses require a tad of V twin thunder rumble -  not loud but thumping....then comfort of the knees hips is a must and no forward lean to hold on the handlebars have to come to me not me reach for them.......something 800-900 is my preffered cc max......

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 09/27/11 at 19:16:13

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #10 - 09/27/11 at 19:17:49

Well, with the 1100 so far, 55mpg solo, 48 mpg 2 up. Got the windshield on it this evening, am expecting 2-3 mpg increase. Have always felt that a good bit of the mpg deal was in the right wrist.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 09/28/11 at 13:11:35

What about a Suzuki C50? (pre-2005 = Volusia or VL800). They can be found pretty cheap!  Sounds like it would fit the body positioning you want better than the S50.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/03/11 at 23:26:20

The Vulcan 800A with a Mustang Fastback seat, 8" Drag bars and if you wish-- forward controls is a sweet bike. For a larger ride, it still has that savage feel, thanks to the skinny 21" front tire. It's got just enough power and is a really comfortable ride. I love both my S40 and Kawi 800A. Big bro, li'l bro.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 10/04/11 at 03:21:17

Vulcan 800A's chain drive can be replaced with an aftermarket belt drive from www.scootworks.com too!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:35:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › tried out a different bike today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.