Send Topic Print
Fouled plug (Read 121 times)
MERKURMAN
YaBB Newbies

FNG

Fort Hood TX
Fouled plug
09/25/11 at 11:09:52

Has anyone heard of a main jet stamped with a 136 being used.  I tore the float bowl off of my carb to make sure that my float needle wasn't binding up and I was curious as to what jets were installed and I saw it.  After I cleaned the float bowl out and put it back together my bike wouldn't start.  I pulled the spark plug out and it was fouled out and very black.  I replaced it and it started right up.  I checked my air fuel mix screw and it is set to 1 3/4 turns out.  My bike is a 1988 savage.  I live in central Texas where it has been hot and very dry all summer, with an altitude of about 950 feet.  The bike was originally from North Carolina.  I am at least the second owner of the bike and it seems to be all original.  I'm wondering how a jet that small could cause the plug to foul out black.  Also I'm wondering what the interval for reading your plug is.  

Its all fun and games till someone gets poked in the eye with a sharp stick!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fouled plug
Reply #1 - 09/25/11 at 11:13:08

Maybe someone ran it with a nasty air filter & the choke on.,.?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/25/11 at 11:22:15

stock for a '88 is 155
mikuni jets vary every 2.5, so a 136 is very odd.
would tend to think it was a dynojet, but even that is pretty small.
my guess is they drilled it out.

check your petcock for leaks.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/25/11 at 11:24:37

Mukini jets are numbered in increments of 2.5...  ie,... 130, 132.5, 135, 137.5, 140... etc...
There is no 136...

Could it be 135?...  Stock for an 88' should be a #155...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MERKURMAN
YaBB Newbies

FNG

Fort Hood TX
Reply #4 - 09/25/11 at 11:48:14

That's why I am confused. I have read other posts an I have never seen a 136 referenced.  I don't know what brand it is. My real concern is that the plug started to foul when the previous owner had it and they put the 136 in it thinking that putting the jet in would lean it down to the proper operating range.  And did so without reading the plug over a period of time.  It seems to be running ok but I want to be sure that I properly check the plug to see the progression of the fouling if any.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/25/11 at 12:37:23

YOu need to do the spark plug door mod,. or youll be whippin the tank off till youre sick of it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MERKURMAN
YaBB Newbies

FNG

Fort Hood TX
Reply #6 - 09/25/11 at 13:12:03

Already done

IP Logged
MERKURMAN
YaBB Newbies

FNG

Fort Hood TX
Reply #7 - 09/25/11 at 18:09:38

Does anyone know the interval for reading your plug is, or is it just when you feel a performance drop?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 09/25/11 at 19:53:32

MERKURMAN wrote on 09/25/11 at 18:09:38:
Does anyone know the interval for reading your plug is, or is it just when you feel a performance drop?

I use two plugs.  When I get a new bike I buy an extra plug.

One is in the bike, and one is in a box resting up after a good cleaning.  

I swap the plugs back and forth every 5,000 miles, so I read them then.

This way each plug gets a nice long rest, before it has to go back to work.

On multi-cylinder bikes I rotate the plugs through on a shorter schedule.  For example on my FJR, I have 5 plugs.  Every 1,000 miles I move the whole set to the right.  The plug that was in cylinder #4, gets a rest for a 1,000 miles, and the plug that was resting for the last 1,000 miles gets installed in cylinder #1.

Plugs last forever this way.

Fuses are a different story though.  I just pull them all out every 5,000 miles, rotate them 180 degrees and stick them back in.  This way the electrons flow the opposite direction through the fuses for the next 5,000 miles.  This 180-flip makes the fuses last longer,... sort of like flipping your mattress occasionally.

Now I recently heard of a guy who would replace his light bulbs every 5,000 miles, believing the resistance decreased over time, which would draw more juice from the alternator, leading to less power and worse mileage.  He would also replace the air in his tires on the same schedule, quoting some sort of hysteresis factors that degraded over time.  I think this guy had some strange ideas.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 09/25/11 at 19:57:23

MERKURMAN wrote on 09/25/11 at 18:09:38:

Now for the real answer:  Read the plugs when you feel like it.  If you have a stock bike, and it works well, have a look at the plug when you replace it on schedule.

Otherwise, read it whenever you want.  If you are fooling around with exhaust systems, jetting, heat ranges, etc., you'll be wanting to read the plugs often.

IP Logged
MERKURMAN
YaBB Newbies

FNG

Fort Hood TX
Reply #10 - 09/25/11 at 20:40:51

Ok I'll look at it in about 1000 miles and see if there is any fouling and then I'll determine a schedule from there.  Thanks for the feed back

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 09/25/11 at 20:42:48

"Fuses are a different story though.  I just pull them all out every 5,000 miles, rotate them 180 degrees and stick them back in.  This way the electrons flow the opposite direction through the fuses for the next 5,000 miles.  This 180-flip makes the fuses last longer,... sort of like flipping your mattress occasionally."
This is the first I have ever heard of this. What empirical evidence do you have to support this? Huh
The only times I have ever needed to replace a fuse is when I have put too much current through it. Period.
You may think you are getting more life out of the fuses because you are reversing the electron flow but in reality when you pull the fuse to turn it around you are cleaning corrosion from the contacts. Corrosion in the contacts causes a higher resistance, requiring more current in the circuit, which can eventually blow the fuse, if there is enough corrosion.
My house has aluminum wiring. As you know, aluminum corrodes instantly when exposed to oxygen. When it was built the builder did not use aluminum compatible outlets or switches. I went through the house sanding all the wire ends with greasy sandpaper, so corrosion couldn't form on them. Saved $20 a month on my hydro bill.
I regularly unplug and plug in the rca and balanced connectors on my stereo system, especially the turntable connections. My cartridge has an output of .23 mv and any corrosion affects that circuit. I do that with all the fuses too.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/25/11 at 21:54:59

I do the same thing with my socks...

That way,... you only need three,.. and your drawers aren't overflowing,... and you only ever need to wash one, so you never get them mixed up... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/25/11 at 23:49:52

and your drawers aren't overflowing,.

Thats only happened once,, There ARE times when a sneeze is a very inconvenient event..

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 09/26/11 at 03:46:49

I think I am going to have to be more obvious when trying to be funny. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:13:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fouled plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.