Send Topic Print
Uh oh ~_~ (Read 658 times)
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Re: Uh oh ~_~
Reply #15 - 09/23/11 at 06:07:51

Any mechanic should be able to do a compression test. some oil around the seal is normal though, those bikes seem to do that, that shouldnt cause the bike to shut off. With a blown seal it would smoke a lot and the oil level would go down quick. It can leak around the valves too.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #16 - 09/23/11 at 07:16:15

Leaking oil around the head gasket is not normal, for any bike or car or truck, or anything else with a motor. Mine was leaking and I replaced it, with help from a guy with all the right tools. If the pop you heard was the head gasket blowing, there would be lots of oil, and almost no compression. After changing mine, there has been no leaks at all. And there shouldn't be.
The plug cap seal can leak, and most do eventually, but I doubt that there would be any loss of compression from that. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #17 - 09/23/11 at 07:54:27

When you get your new spark plug take the left chrome cover off, attach the new spark to the plug wire and ground the body of it to the engine fins, turn the key and have someone hit the ignition. You should get a sparky...if not then it's something electrical. If it does spark then you got other fish to fry.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 09/23/11 at 08:43:23

bigdave wrote on 09/22/11 at 20:18:56:
When I've looked at 87 next to 93 in a glass bottle you can tell 87 is awfully dirty. Most of the guys at the biker pub say they use the 93. & the only reason I had the throttle twisted was because it wasnt starting so I tried giving it gas. & the 55 mph in 2nd or 3rd was in case I did because I didn't remember how many times I down shifted after the bike "popped" & lost power as it freaked me out. I've got a spark plug on the way just as a tune up so maybe that will help if it's the problem. I still would like any input on why the bike would have shut down like that. & would a blown headgasket make it not start?

You might want to try your glass bottle test a couple more times,.. maybe at different gas stations.  Usually, regular is the cleanest because it is the most used, and therefore the freshest.  Premium is used less, but way more than mid-grade.

Of course, variables like dirty fuel trucks, disintegrating underground tanks, etc., override any comments about which fuel stays the cleanest.  We never know for sure,.. from fillup to fillup.  I try to minimize these kinds of problems by filling up at name brand stations where the facility looks fairly new and clean.  Maybe I am kidding myself, but it just makes me feel better about what I am putting in the motorcycle than those times when I have had to fill up at some dirty little place out in the sticks that probably gets a new load of gas every 6 months.

This is why I ALWAYS have a paper fuel filter between the carb and the tank.

Also, the S40/LS650 needs no more than 87 octane.  Assuming your source of regular gas is clean, you are wasting your money to use higher octane.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #19 - 09/23/11 at 08:52:44

Why isnt the petcock filter good enough? Paper filter is finer mesh?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 09/23/11 at 09:22:25

Arnold wrote on 09/23/11 at 08:52:44:
Why isnt the petcock filter good enough? Paper filter is finer mesh?

You speaketh the truth, Arnold.  The petcock has more of a strainer than a filter.  Think of it as the device that keeps the gravel, sand, and rusty lumps from clogging up the real filter; the paper element filter.  

A good paper element filter will not pass anything larger than 80-90 microns.  The petcock strainer is doing well if it can prevent a chunk of a few hundred microns from getting through.

A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter,... pretty stinkin' tiny.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #21 - 09/23/11 at 09:26:17

Do we really need a gas/filter war to help this guy out? how about we get his bike started first...just a thought.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 09/23/11 at 09:28:21

Bubba wrote on 09/23/11 at 09:26:17:
Do we really need a gas/filter war to help this guy out? how about we get his bike started first...just a thought.

war? Shocked

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 09/23/11 at 09:31:15

just sayin'... he can't get his bike started I don't think it's the octane or the fuel filter that caused it to go POP...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 09/23/11 at 09:33:47

Bubba wrote on 09/23/11 at 09:31:15:
just sayin'... he can't get his bike started I don't think it's the octane or the fuel filter that caused it to go POP...

ah.

so not a war, then, eh?  

more like a wandering (or hijacked) thread?

I stand rebuked.

Wink

IP Logged
MERKURMAN
YaBB Newbies

FNG

Fort Hood TX
Reply #25 - 09/23/11 at 10:22:12

I had a similar problem after I cleaned out my carb.  I couldn't get but a few putters while trying to start mine.  After quite a few choice words and some frustration I pulled my spark plug and low and behold the plug was was fouled.  I went up to my local parts store and got a NGK iridium plug. Stuck it in and it started right up.  My suggestion read your spark plug and replace it if it is bad.

Its all fun and games till someone gets poked in the eye with a sharp stick!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #26 - 09/23/11 at 10:32:44

Big D, start with the easy stuff...don't go pulling the head just yet. Remember there are 3 things you need.
Air/Fuel/Spark
As long as your engine isn't seized it should turn over.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #27 - 09/23/11 at 11:01:29

Bubba wrote on 09/23/11 at 10:32:44:
As long as your engine isn't seized it should turn over.

Irrefutable logic,..

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #28 - 09/23/11 at 11:10:46

Grin

IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 09/25/11 at 19:35:24

Thanks guys. I'm hopefully getting to work on it this week. Lots of fall preps in N.E Indiana that I had to tackle first. I wasn't too worried about the octane talk. I did get the idea of checking octane levels from college though. Like my papa said "Usually it's better stuff if your paying more for it". But can anyone suggest what the pop was? Mechanics around here are quoting half my bikes value to tare into it to figure out what was wrong. Not really wanting to do that. As I'm getting Teddy to take a mechanics class to learn to do it myself. Plus I'm too cheap. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:21:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uh oh ~_~

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.