Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Switchable blower-supercharger ? (Read 401 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Switchable blower-supercharger ?
09/21/11 at 05:58:53

I don't want you all to theink "he musta smoked a good'un"  Cheesy but I was leafing through the online catalogue of a UK-based company selling accessories for track-modified cars...

I came across this ...  Cool

It come in two versions, 3" blades blowing 135cfm, 4" blades blowing 235 cfm.

A little math says 135 cf = 3820 liters, and 235 cf = 6650 liters.

The Savage being a 650cc, at a howling  Roll Eyes 6000 rpm will suck in 1950 liters.

Hmmm...

I'm not saying we can blow the Savage at 15-20 psi boost... Shocked...

But a little imagination can go a long way...

We can have the carb before the blower, or blow the carb directly.

The first solution would have the air/fuel mixture race through the blades, so we want to ensure the electric motor of the fan is quite airtight, or... Undecided

The second solution has the fan blowing air into the carb, a solution used by Maserati for the "Biturbo" of the 1980s, but they had to enclose the carbs into an airtight box in order to avoid the carb itself bleeding fuel through the various gaskets (so they say... never had a Maserati...)

At $50/unit, it's food for thought !

Thoughts ? Food ?  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Re: Switchable blower-supercharger ?
Reply #1 - 09/21/11 at 07:35:01

The CFM is nice but if it can't build any pressure not sure of the boost you'd get. could be fun even if it adds only a couple pounds pressure.

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 09/21/11 at 07:37:47

I wonder if you could somehow tie in the speed of the fan to the throttle position, such that at idle, the fan would be off (or at a low speed) and at WOT the fan would be full on. maybe someone with some skill in electronics could rig up something like that.

I'd opt for the blower to be before the carb, just for ease of installation and the idea that it wouldn't mess with the flow/dispersion of the air/fuel mixture, but i don't have any scientific reasoning behind that, just a conjecture.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 09/21/11 at 15:05:27

How on earth would you jet it? Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/21/11 at 15:11:20

Flip the switch & pull the choke?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 09/21/11 at 16:52:59

Theres no way that would work.The jetting would be the problem.Unless you used the variable jets that go back and fore in size.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #6 - 09/22/11 at 04:52:27

These things showed up on the car forums years ago.  This is nothing more bull shittery.  It is a marine bilge blower "marketed" as a electric turbo.  Lots of folks bit on this years ago and screwed up their cars when the unit broke and sent parts flying into their air intake at WOT.  Sheer fraud...check this out.
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/RUL-240/Rule+In-Line+Bilge+Blower+For+4

If that was in a "performance car catelogue", I believe I would throw it away.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 09/22/11 at 05:06:47

The best you can hope for is a few psi (maybe) of pressure increase (suction reduction) at the intake of the carb,... sort of like setting up a ram air system of some sort.

It is not a positive displacement blower, so if the blower wants to pump more air than the engine at a given rpm can accept, it just spins more and pumps less,... sort of like when you put your hand over the end of a leafblower.

There are two normal placements for superchargers,.. before and after the carb.   Pros and cons each way.  
 -- If you have a genuine supercharger before the carb, you have to put the carb in an airtight box so the pressure outside the carb is the same as the pressure going into the intake.  If a box is not an option, a special carb is needed.  With this electric blower, it would change the pressure so little you probably wouldn't need a box, just jetting changes.
 -- If you put the supercharger after the carb, the carb must be engineered to handle a fuel-air mix.  This blower is not.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 09/22/11 at 10:26:36

Gyrobob made exactly the same assumptions I made, so I'm glad I thought it out correctly.

MPNoffi misunderstood me, (or maybe I didn't put things in the right perspective) the fan/blower is advertised for ventilation of the windshield to avoid misting;
you won't find aircon in a track car, much less a complete dash - it was my wicked idea to fit it elseways.

Well, I see I've caused some decent interest, what next?
Cheesy
Elastic jets to change the mixture at varying altitude... Huh
Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/23/11 at 07:40:29

The cfm rating of a fan is at zero back pressure.  As the resistance increases the cubic feet per minute falls.  A combustion chamber offers a lot of resistance and the output of that fan will be negligible.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 09/23/11 at 08:00:08

engineer wrote on 09/23/11 at 07:40:29:
The cfm rating of a fan is at zero back pressure.  As the resistance increases the cubic feet per minute falls.  A combustion chamber offers a lot of resistance and the output of that fan will be negligible.

Being a fan and not a positive displacement pump, the output of the fan will be pretty much limited to the amount of air the engine is sucking in at any given rpm.  The overall effect will be only that of reducing some of the flow restrictions of the airboxes/manifolds/etc. upstream of the carb,... sort of like the ram air system on the Hayabusa.

IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #11 - 09/24/11 at 20:54:31

Ive thought about trying one of these and it has a switch to kick in fan as u open throttle http://www.electricsupercharger.com/products.html just havent gotten around to it yet

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 09/25/11 at 06:23:21

RadRacer wrote on 09/24/11 at 20:54:31:
Ive thought about trying one of these and it has a switch to kick in fan as u open throttle http://www.electricsupercharger.com/products.html just havent gotten around to it yet

Neat idea.  I wonder if it works.

There would be a few things to keep in mind about their performance claims:
--  1 PSI NET BOOST (measured on the intake at wide-open throttle)  Up to 15 more horsepower GUARANTEED!  If they say "up to" that allows them to explain that when you get only 3 more horsepower, they can say, "Well, we said "up to" not "more than."
 -- 5% more horsepower through the entire RPM range!  This would be really hard to document.  I'd like to see their test results.
 -- Safely draws over 833 WATTS from the battery when activated at full-throttle!  Using over 62 AMPS...  This is a LOT of amps.  With normal amounts of inefficiencies, it would take 2 to 3 horsepower at the alternator to drive this thing.  (1 hp = 746 watts if efficiency is 100%)
 -- Only the e-RAM flows 800 CFM! (unrestricted air-flow)  This means if you set it on a bench in free air, it'll flow 800 cfm.  In an intake system, with an engine sucking in less than 800 cfm, it'll flow a lot less.

I wonder what the duty-cycle is.  How long can it be run at a time?  Does it heat up?  Can it be run continuously, or it is used for short-duration boosts like nitrous?  The switch you mentioned makes it sound like an intermittent thing.

I wonder why they don't show a pic of the actual blower.  Does it look something like the pic in the first message of this thread?

What kind of noise does it make?

Still, it is an intriguing idea.  If you install it, it would be cool if you could do some before and after measurements to show how effective it is.  At $300 for the small size, it better be pretty effective, eh?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/25/11 at 11:25:26

I say Balderdash & Fiddlesticks,, & Ill even toss in a Humbug,,I wouldnt touch that thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 09/26/11 at 06:48:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/25/11 at 11:25:26:
I say Balderdash & Fiddlesticks,, & Ill even toss in a Humbug,,I wouldnt touch that thing.

Balderdash & Fiddlesticks,... sounds like a British law firm.

I would be inclined to not use something like this either, unless there was some way for it to use a positive displacement pump. Then at least you would get some degree of actual supercharging, rather than just a psi or so.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Switchable blower-supercharger ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.