Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Timing port cover not going back on... (Read 168 times)
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Timing port cover not going back on...
09/19/11 at 20:25:06

Feeling like a real idiot with this one...so I just put my Verslavy in.  It was easy and quick, and is looking much better.  Fantastic!  I wish my story ended there.  
While I was waiting for the part I decided to adjust the valves and solenoid while the bike was on the lift.  That part actually went okay, everything sounds better, and rides well.  There was a little bogging at first, but it seems to have worked it's wat out as it warmed up
Of all the things that could go wrong the problem is that timing port cover wont go back on.  I tried to be easy on it, because I thought I was cross threading it, but that wasn't it.  Checked for any metal shavings in the threads, nope.  It seems like the outer threads were marred by the offset wrench when I was trying to rotate the engine to TDC...as a noob it took quite a few attempts before I got it right.
I was able to get the port cover started just a bit, but then it wouldn't budge.  I pried it on as best I could, but it is still sitting off from the case quite a bit, nowhere near flush.
Trying to find out my best options for this one...am I screwed?
I was going to buy a replacement port cover for a Volusia that I saw on here that uses a hex wrench.  But now I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy a whole new engine casing.  Is there any hope for this case/cover?  Can I rethread the port somehow?

Also, is it rideable in this condition?  If it isn't sealed I dont want to be getting junk in the engine...

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Timing port cover not going back on...
Reply #1 - 09/19/11 at 20:43:06

If you HAVE to ride, cover it with duct tape, Id build a tool & back it out, study the threads in the case & on the plug, solve that problem, study threads & line up start threads to install it, Isnt there an oring in that thing? Make sure its seated, if so. Dont Crank it tight, snug only, its a real pain to remove if it gets Landed too hard.

I Would use the tape,, those threads are pretty fine & its most likely not gonna get the smallest piece of dust in it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/19/11 at 21:02:18

As you explain it, you've mared the internal threads.

take some scotch brite and debur the threads.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/19/11 at 22:23:04

I think duct tape is gonna' blow right off...
You gotta' get those threads working...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/19/11 at 22:34:19

I agree,, it wouldnt be a long term thing, but if I HAD to ride a few miles to work,, thats how Id go at it, IF I couldnt fix the threads in time,, but getting those threads right is simply a Must Git 'Er Done" thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #5 - 09/20/11 at 01:57:42

Thanks all, not a must ride at all.  I'll give the scotch brite a try tonight and take a better look at it after work.  Here's to hoping.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/20/11 at 05:04:49

Not to mention the oil that would be leaking out there. Mine leaks with the cover tight and a supposed new o-ring. I doubt that duct tape would hold.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/20/11 at 07:28:59

A 90 degree scribe sharpened to a flat edge running across the tip mite work to drag the threads into place.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 09/20/11 at 10:20:49

You could get the version of the cover made for the C50. It has an Allen wrench socket instead of a slot. With everything cleaned and lubed, you can crank that puppy in there.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #9 - 09/20/11 at 13:58:54

That's the one I was thinking of!  You don't happen to know the part number for that off hand do you?  I suppose my lazy butt could look that up pretty easily if you don't.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 09/21/11 at 08:16:14

Part # 09259-36008

I picked one up at one of the shops I go to. It was cheaper to have them order it then to get it shipped.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 09/21/11 at 08:17:37

first ya gotta get the threads in line tho' otherwise the new part won't help  Sad

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 09/21/11 at 17:09:24

Just updating...so what happened was that the outer-most groove on the stator cover got bent over into the next thread.  Just took a sharpened flat head screw driver and carved it back out being careful to not get any metal inside the case.  It's tougher to get the plug on/off now, but it's fully seated again.  Took it for a short ride, just to heat up the oil, no leaks, so I think it's better for now.
For what it's worth I found out that the small flat blade on the side of a painter's multitool works REALLY well to loosen/tighten the plug.  Too bad I marred mine all up before I figured this out.  Will be replacing with the C50 part this weekend.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:27:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing port cover not going back on...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.