Send Topic Print
Tire Life (Read 266 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tire Life
Reply #15 - 09/19/11 at 22:41:01

Motorcycle tires are GREATLY over-strength on the sidewalls compared to a car tire, BTW.

I know this to be true, as I rode an almost new Dunlop about 40 miles leaking terribly,, I put several cans of "Fix a Flat in,, only needed it when I was forced to ride slow, as in thru towns, on the open road, it was fine, well,, in a straight line,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #16 - 09/20/11 at 05:26:09

I agree, I had a flat on the rear tire once. I didn't know it until I rode about 10 miles. I did notice it felt kinda squirrely and the bike didn't seem to coast as far as usual. At first, I thought maybe the brakes were dragging. When I checked, I found the rear tire completely flat. Had no choice but to ride back home on it. I took the wheel to where I worked at the time and repaired the 4 holes in the tube. I still rode on that tire for another year before replacing it this past winter.
And yes, I put a small patch on the inside of the tire, as well as the 4 on the tube. (The nail was still in there and caused multiple holes in the tube.)

IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #17 - 09/20/11 at 06:07:45

All things considered, I decided "not" to buy the bike.   This has been a great thread and I've learned a lot, and look forward to learning lots more.  Thanks for the great feedback.

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/20/11 at 07:27:04

What made you decide against?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #19 - 09/20/11 at 08:42:26

a)Bottom $ price of seller - $2000, 33XX miles, 2004,NADA_1595-2100, KBB_ 1380-2075.
b)Right Front Foot Peg bent and windshield deeply scratched on right side..looks like bike was dropped. Seller said it was that way when she purchased it about 3 yrs ago.
c) Drive Belt looks worn a lot (has lots of pitting in cogs/teeth)...Seller said she does ride on gravel..I think it would need replacing soon.
d) Seller does not know what kind of oil is in engine (thinks 10-40, but does not know brand)..that bothers me.
e) Saddle bags are vinyl and ripped at mounts.
f) It does have an engine guard which looks OK.
g) I'm not real crazy about the color.........Silver.
h) tires look too black..looks like sprayed with tire dressing..my fault..did not know they had a date stamped on them, so they could be OK.

My gut feel is the bike needs some $ and TLC to bring it up to par.........If seller calls me and wants to sell for about $1750, I'd buy it.  Maybe I'm too picky

Sorry to be so wordy.  I appreciate all comments.

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 09/20/11 at 08:50:21

Sounds like you came armed with information and went with your gut feeling (sometimes the best policy) by walking away. Nobody will fault you for that, and keep looking. The right one will come along, but the right one might have a different price/value to you  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 09/20/11 at 10:36:39

Soundes like a wise decision,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire Life

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.