Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My project proceeds... (Read 1063 times)
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Re: My project proceeds...
Reply #15 - 09/19/11 at 17:43:10

Gotta agree with two of the other posters - the bike looks great but the stickers detract from all the hard work you put into it.  They are the first thing that catches your eye.  I'd much rather the first thing I notice be that cool fender or seat.  Regardless, as they said, it's your choice and you did some great stuff there.  Looking forward to what muffler you end up choosing to go with that bike style.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 09/21/11 at 14:47:11

did you chop the horns off for the seat?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #17 - 09/22/11 at 05:41:59

MrBrownTX; Frisco's are about 7" rise, not too huge, so you might be able to get away with stock S40 cables.

Bubba;  Yup, the seat horns were cut down.  I cut them lower and on an angle, then welded a plate to serve as a new seat mount onto what was left of the horns.  All by eye; I just wanted to minimize the space between the seat and the frame.

As far as the stickers go, I do kinda dig 'em; they help me find my bike quick.  I'm also kinda a jerk, so I love the reaction that the Savage logo gets from some folks!  Grin  All that aside, I'd keep 'em because of this:  I was at a patio having lunch one day over summer, and a couple of guys stopped and were looking at the bike.  I guess they didn't peg me as the rider, but I could hear what they were saying as I was sitting just on the other side of the railing, as close to the bike as I could be.  

Dude 1: "I wonder what kind of air filter that is..."
Dude 2: "K&N."
Dude 1, after craning his neck around to look at the end cap logo: "How'd you know that?"
Dude 2: "Look at the tank, man."
Dude 1: "Huh.  So I'm gonna guess that that little battery is from Odyssey, then."
Dude 2: "Ya think?  I'll bet you a million dollars he got the parts from the Steel City Motor Company or Licks Cycles too."

And off they went.  No joke.  Outside of getting parts from Licks (I got the NovDot helmet from a friend for 30 bux, but thats it) it's all on the tank.  I got a laugh out of that....

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #18 - 06/10/12 at 18:19:46

Another winter gone, another bunch of stuff done.  Lancer's carb kit is on.  It took a bit to tune up, but now she's running like a top.  Thanks Lancer!  New intake done up too.

Chain conversion done.  Looking forward to  messing around with gear ratio's...

New tool bag is a $2 fanny pack from a thrift store; fits nice and snug in between the arms of Routy's forwards.

Stripped the paint off the tank to see how it looks.  Prolly gonna run a bare steel Sporty tank with a fuel sight line in it and hammer on the clear coat.  Yeah,yeah; its cliche, its been done before, blah, blah, blah...

New pipe, too.

On to the Pics....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/10/12 at 19:01:08

Thats nice,, I really like that rear fender,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #20 - 06/10/12 at 22:36:23

Nice, I like it.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #21 - 06/10/12 at 23:04:42

Very nice indeed  Cool What exhaust did you go with? Straight drag pipe or Raask or other? Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #22 - 06/11/12 at 02:17:41

Nice bike! Where did you get that fender?!

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #23 - 06/11/12 at 05:29:48

New pipe looks awesome, as does the chain conversion on there! Very sweet!

I asked about the fender before... he said he grabbed it from a wrecker for cheap. It does look pretty good on there though. Smiley

Also - those front signals look GREAT on your bike... I've got a set, except they are black instead of chrome, and when I put them up to it, I just don't get the feeling that they look good...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #24 - 06/11/12 at 15:24:45

Yeah, the fender is chopped out of and old Handa Magna front fender.  I got two for 30 bucks at a local wrecker, cut it to size, drilled and tapped the swingarm, and welded on some struts.  

For those looking, I say go check the front fenders on bikes at your local scrapyard.  A lot of the older ones are pretty cool, with that little duck bill on the ends, and can be had for cheap.  If you can find two or more that you like, grab all of 'em and experiment.  I welded my struts on, but bolt-ons would be real easy to do as well.  Just grab the fender, mock it up at the height you like, grab a drill and go to town.

SimonTuffGuy; if you're able and/or cash laden, think about getting some of the other front end bits black anodized/powdercoated. Black bullet signals would look killer with black trees, lowers and headlight bucket!

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #25 - 06/11/12 at 17:08:39

God that carb looks good....I'm a little jealous. Figure out your battery situation?

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #26 - 06/11/12 at 17:18:00

skeebo wrote on 06/11/12 at 17:08:39:
God that carb looks good....I'm a little jealous. Figure out your battery situation?

Soon.  I'm still shopping it around, looking for the best fit / most reliable.  Once I've settled, I'll shoot ya some specs for a battery box.  The odyssey was good, but I only had it for a year or so before it died.  It's under warranty, but I'm not convinced that it's worth it.  Anyone got any suggestions?

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #27 - 06/11/12 at 17:23:44

I built a set up for a yuasa AGM that's been going 10 months now, no issues. I dont have any significant time on mine yet.

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
busterboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Atlanta, Ga.
Reply #28 - 06/11/12 at 19:01:04

Cool looking tank, when I stripped mine, I thought about leaving it bare, I may still do it.

2012-01-27_15_18_56_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Bosgarage57
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sevierville, TN
Reply #29 - 07/02/12 at 12:23:24

What kind of exhaust is that, straight pipes, but did you just go somewhere and have them made, or come pre made?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My project proceeds...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.