Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
possible improvements to newer S40's? (Read 263 times)
s40novice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

possible improvements to newer S40's?
09/17/11 at 16:13:31

Hello all; I'm brand new to the forum, and also to s40's in general. I browsed the forum quite a bit prior to registering,and was extremely impressed with the knowledge of the members. I look forward to any advice you may have for me as I learn more about these bikes. My first topic of conversation is this: In searching for typical S40 problems, I seemed to come across cam chain/ tensioner issues more than any other. I'm sure that most of the forum members are probably sick to death of discussing this issue, but my question has mainly to do with the newer s40's. The bike I just acquired is a 2007 S40 w/ 31,000 miles. It currently runs well w/ no chain slapping noises. It seemed from other posts that CCT's tended to fail well before this mileage. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with S40's of this year or newer w/ similar mileage. I have no idea if the cam chain/ tensioner has ever been replaced. Does anyone know if Suzuki ever improved the cam chain/ tensioner? It seems that if the current S40's remained unchanged 31,000 miles on an original CCT would be almost unheard of. I couldn't find much info in the search function on the newer bikes, so I apologize if the topic has already been touched on. Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: possible improvements to newer S40's?
Reply #1 - 09/17/11 at 16:29:42

for the most part, the chain life can be extended by taking mostly long trips instead of short one.  Stinger is proof of that.  While mostly beginners get this bike and they take mostly short trips.

But anyhow you should look at it to know...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029
Cam Chain Adjuster Life
you might find that it was already taken care of.

WWW   IP Logged
s40novice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/20/11 at 13:12:09

Thank you to Verslagen 1 for the advice and for the links. Probably saved the bike. Pulled the clutch cover and found the plunger out to 21mm. Just sent info via PM for a verslavy purchase. Thanks again for your great advice and great product.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 09/20/11 at 13:15:27

Maybe the PO knew it was about to drop?  21mm - you are one lucky fella

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
s40novice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/20/11 at 13:22:33

It's possible. I'm definitely glad I found this forum right off the bat. The bike wasn't even making chain noise. Just thought I should check it based on the posts of forum members. Hopefully I can throw in a Verslavy and be good until 40,000......

IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #5 - 09/22/11 at 21:08:58

My 09 was 16.5 out at 8000 so I would say you were lucky indeed.

IP Logged
s40novice
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/23/11 at 15:22:58

I guess that answers my question about improvements to the S40. Thanks to all who responded. It seems like a tensioner upgrade is pretty much mandatory on these things regardless of mileage.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/23/11 at 16:16:14

s40novice wrote on 09/23/11 at 15:22:58:
I guess that answers my question about improvements to the S40. Thanks to all who responded. It seems like a tensioner upgrade is pretty much mandatory on these things regardless of mileage.

Pretty much. It's not IF, only WHEN.

Add to that...the performance mods a lot of us here do only makes the chain stretch issue worse. My stock '95 was 19mm out IIRC at 9k mi. My now non-stock '95 is on the second hole of the verslavy tensioner after 6k mi. Mods are vm38, stage 1 cam, SE muffler, KN filter. I have become rather heavy handed and the quick acceleration takes its toll on an already poor design....but im still gunna go for broke.

IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #8 - 09/24/11 at 12:27:03

Thank goodness I got such a great deal on my 2003 Savage with only around 3000 miles on it when I did ($1250), otherwise I would be pretty pissed about this act of negligence on Suzuki's end of the deal.

Thank goodness we have Verslagen with his Verslavy at a VERY reasonable cost to combat this issue. Suzuki should offer him employment on the design for the tensioner. Even though my tensioner is fine (for the moment), it almost makes me want to sell this otherwise outstanding bike, if not just for the principle of the matter.

Lastly, THANK GOODNESS for SuzukiSavage.com, and all the people who contribute so much knowledge on here. It is without a doubt the BEST bike forum I frequent, and I can't say enough for the folks who take up for the undercoming of support from Suzuki.

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 20:32:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › possible improvements to newer S40's?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.