Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need advice on shipping a bike. (Read 97 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Need advice on shipping a bike.
09/17/11 at 14:42:54

A good friend of mine is wanting to buy a bike from a friend of his in Sevierville, Tennessee (A little southeast of Knoxsville.)  He lives in Tucson, Arizona.  How would he go about getting the bike shipped from Sevierville to Tucson, what would he have to do, and about how much would it cost. We know nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated gang.

Jerry

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need advice on shipping a bike.
Reply #1 - 09/17/11 at 16:34:57

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 09/18/11 at 11:52:01

Its a shame he cant fly to Knoxville and ride the bike back to Az. That would be one nice ride.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #3 - 09/18/11 at 15:49:20

I agree absolutely, but the bike is a BMW R60/2, and has been sitting in a garage for twenty years.  I believe the operative word here is "restoration".  George is willing to do the work, because that bike was his before he sold it to the current owner.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 09/18/11 at 19:21:16

gerald, I just typed in "How to ship a motorcycle" and up poped JC Motors. They ship on a pallet like hauling it in a truck bed with tie straps. Insurance is included with more available. Just the first one to come up, but there are more. Check it out.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/18/11 at 22:16:28

My W 650 came on Keyboard, they allow fuel & batteries, I got on it, fired it up & rode home, They couldnt come to my house, because of the roads, but they will deliver to your driveway IF you dont live in a place a big truck cant get to.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 09/20/11 at 07:59:56

You can rent a budget 10 foot truck one way for around $300 (that's with insurance, cheaper without) unlimited miles, and I think you get about 3 days to use it. Drop it off 50 miles out of town and ride the bike back if it's running, if not find another deal with budget where you can return the truck to the same dealer and not be charged for local use. If you talk to them on the phone you can tell them that you have a lower price from another truck rental place and they WILL lower their price.. I have no problem doing that because they don't have flatbed trucks and they tried to charge me for damage I didn't do to the truck because they marked it wrong. Take pics of the truck before you leave, any damage. Spend about $15 in tie downs (you only need 4) and put 2 sandbags around the front wheel (you get them cheap at lowes, a couple bucks maybe).

IMPORTANT: don't tell them you'll be transporting a motorcycle, even though some budget places don't care. The truck you get will probably have tons of oil and gas stains on the inside anyway from people transporting lawn mowers and crap anyway.

You tie the bike down just like this inside the truck:

http://www.discountramps.com/articles/motorcycle-tie-down.htm

Grab a cup of coffe, hit the road, and stop every 2 hours or so and check the tie straps.  Cheesy

Those trucks do take a lot of gas though, so make sure to ask the miles per gallon on the truck and figure that into your price.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:35:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › Need advice on shipping a bike.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.