Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Rotella got loose today. (Read 120 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
My Rotella got loose today.
09/16/11 at 21:03:05

Pulled up to our one and only stoplight and noticed a cloud of smoke and oil smell. Looked down and saw oil...everywhere! The old guy in the right lane in an S-10 just looked down at it and never changed his expression. It was so funny. I have had a Clymer manual beside my computer chair for two years. Can't find it anywhere. This is crazy. It's just gone! May have to print off all the forum pages for the teardown. I do have the head bolt page printed off unless it's lost, too.  Don't have time or money for this, but I love to ride. May break her apart tomorrow.   :'(

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: My Rotella got loose today.
Reply #1 - 09/16/11 at 21:08:34

Dam the luck!! I know the online manual here in the tech section is in pdf format. You can print just the pages you need instead of the whole dam thing. I have it saved on my computer. Can't be lost. Good luck with your repairs!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/16/11 at 21:34:16

the head bolt pattern is neatly tucked into the manual   Grin

anywhooo, online tech is better.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/16/11 at 22:12:04

Whats wrong w/ it. Where did the oil come out, etc etc ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/17/11 at 04:07:35

Boofer has had the head plug leak for a while now -- he was conducting a test to see what the next level was called -- it is called "plug popped out completely and now you gots a gusher".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #5 - 09/17/11 at 06:06:25

Dang Boofer, sorry to hear that, that sucks.

I might end up in the same boat if I don't fix my leak soon. I've had a leak coming from the head plug location for months now. My little leak just got not so little after my last oil change last week. I had been using Bel Ray EXL standard Dino Oil. I accidentally ended up buying and using Bel Ray EXP synthetic blend. I just thought I was getting ripped of for the price difference because I was at my local Suzuki dealer. Nope, price difference was from buying the Synthetic blend rather than dino oil.

Synthetics tend to make oil leaks even worse, don't they.  Undecided

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 09/17/11 at 07:11:40

Fish wrote on 09/17/11 at 06:06:25:
............  Synthetics tend to make oil leaks even worse, don't they.  Undecided

Synthetics often have an effect on seals and built up muck.  Infrequently, synthetic oil used in a motor always run on dino oil can develop a leak when some of the built up muck dissolves or breaks away.  

More often, the effect of synthetic oil is on seals.  Synth oil can sometimes swell or shrink seals.  I've had machinery where a leak went away with synth oil, making me suspect a seal had swelled some.  I also had a BMW R100/7 that would leak with synth oil and not leak with dino oil, making me suspect the synth oil was shrinking the seals.  Usually it has no effect.

Please note I used the term "suspect."  I didn't know for sure.  The only thing I knew was that a leak would occasionally appear or disappear with a change to synthetic oil.

Overall I prefer synthetic oil, especially Rotella.  Great stuff,... coincidentally a perfect blend for wet-clutch unitized engine-transmission bikes, and cheap.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - 09/17/11 at 07:58:04

Hmm. I'll have to keep on eye on it. The first part of the week is was business as usual. The past day I saw more oil leaking out than I ever had before. But it was a short ride and I was going WOT on the highway. I have my new bolt cap plug, but I have to go buy some Yamabond still. Then I can get working on that leak.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:27:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Rotella got loose today.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.